Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They'll need to be regulated just like front offices are, so basically not at all. Let's not pretend having to swap 1st round picks every other year instead of trading them all away is effective regulation.

The funny thing is, I agree if there is a legitimate rule change they could make which would fix this, they should. The crux of my argument here is more about fan hypocrisy than anything else. I haven't seen a single rule change which would actually fix this though. You're right that the NBA and NBAPA would never have anticipated players this good leaving this much money on the table.

And then there's the irony of players doing whatever they can to get rings, which kills competitive balance and pisses off the collective NBA fanbase that only judges the accomplishments of players on rings.

Rings are used as a basis of judging players because it’s always had significant meaning.  I think moving forward people may view rings differently.

Not trying to sound like a hater, but I don’t think most of the basketball community looks at Durant any differently now that he’s won two rings and finals MVP’s the way he did. 

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Rings are used as a basis of judging players because it’s always had significant meaning.  I think moving forward people may view rings differently.

Not trying to sound like a hater, but I don’t think most of the basketball community looks at Durant any differently now that he’s won two rings and finals MVP’s the way he did. 

Which is hypocritical. Fans are fine with everyone or even dumb luck stacking the deck except players. What I'm saying is, where were the following questions:

"Hey LeBron, congrats on bringing a championship to Cleveland. Does it make it less valuable that the only reason Kevin Love was on this team was that you won 2 draft lotteries you had no business winning?"

"Hey Houston, congrats on the World Series. Does it make it less valuable knowing that you stockpiled assets for 5 years by ruthlessly tanking to game the system?"

And when the Warriors break up: "Hey Boston, congrats on the NBA title. Does it make it less valuable knowing that you won this on the back of the dumbest trade in the history of sports?"

10 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Turning down 10s of millions makes you a tool? lol. I certainly wouldn't have done that but hard to hate on a guy wanting a ring

Yes. Yes it absolutely does. Going to a team to play 5th fiddle and get carried to a ring and signing an MLE to do it makes you an effing tool. 

Are Warriors fans really going to be this obnoxious about this? Pretending like this isn’t the lamest move in sports history.

32 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

if you believe the warriors were the only ones who offered him then IDK what to say.

No, he got other offers but none that were far superior than this one and that's the point. If he would have received a much better one year offer, then he would have in all likelihood taken it. Lakers were too busy handing out 21 million to KCP/Rondo when they could have given Boogie 10 million and he would have signed. I got no sympathy for the rest of the league when their incompetence led to this. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, he got other offers but none that were far superior than this one and that's the point. If he would have received a much better one year offer, then he would have in all likelihood taken it. Lakers were too busy handing out 21 million to KCP/Rondo when they could have given Boogie 10 million and he would have signed. I got no sympathy for the rest of the league when their incompetence led to this. 

If you believe that, I truly don’t know what to say. The Pelicans reportedly offered 2 years 50M or something like that.

Boogie is just a clown. AD and him were right, you think AD is letting the Pelicans offer him the MLE? Lmao

10 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

If you believe that, I truly don’t know what to say. The Pelicans reportedly offered 2 years 50M or something like that.

Boogie is just a clown. AD and him were right, you think AD is letting the Pelicans offer him the MLE? Lmao

They offered him two years 50 million and he turned it down? Whaaaaaaaaaaat????? Was he just looking for a one year deal then? It seems that is the case so he could hit the market next year. So why not offer him one year 25 million? Or two year 50 million with an opt out? I'm sorry, but he's not turning 25 million down for 5.3 million. Noooooo way. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

They offered him two years 50 million and he turned it down? Whaaaaaaaaaaat????? Was he just looking for a one year deal then? It seems that is the case so he could hit the market next year. So why not offer him one year 25 million? Or two year 50 million with an opt out? I'm sorry, but he's not turning 25 million down for 5.3 million. Noooooo way. 

That was the rumored deal. Pelicans were at the very least negotiating with him, so his effing boohoo no one offered me non sense can get shoved right back down his pansy throat.

Hes an absolute tool, and now he’s a lying tool. He might not have had official “offers” but many teams were discussing terms to sign him.

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

That was the rumored deal. Pelicans were at the very least negotiating with him, so his effing boohoo no one offered me non sense can get shoved right back down his pansy throat.

Hes an absolute tool, and now he’s a lying tool. He might not have had official “offers” but many teams were discussing terms to sign him.

I need a link from a legitimate reporter that he was offered that. I'm sorry, but I don't buy at all he turned down 25 million for a year for 5.3 million. It was clear he didn't have much of a market. Teams were shying away from him because of his injury and the threat he kills the chemistry of their team. 

Turned down 25 million for 5.3 million? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! 

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Which is hypocritical. Fans are fine with everyone or even dumb luck stacking the deck except players. What I'm saying is, where were the following questions:

"Hey LeBron, congrats on bringing a championship to Cleveland. Does it make it less valuable that the only reason Kevin Love was on this team was that you won 2 draft lotteries you had no business winning?"

"Hey Houston, congrats on the World Series. Does it make it less valuable knowing that you stockpiled assets for 5 years by ruthlessly tanking to game the system?"

And when the Warriors break up: "Hey Boston, congrats on the NBA title. Does it make it less valuable knowing that you won this on the back of the dumbest trade in the history of sports?"

The teams are making moves for a chance at success.  Boogie and Durant made moves to guarantee success.

Big difference when it comes to competitive spirit imo.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I need a link from a legitimate reporter that he was offered that. I'm sorry, but I don't buy at all he turned down 25 million for a year for 5.3 million. It was clear he didn't have much of a market. Teams were shying away from him because of his injury and the threat he kills the chemistry of their team. 

Turned down 25 million for 5.3 million? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! 

Regardless of the official offer, he had other offers so this pity party he’s trying to throw is obnoxious.

31 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Lmao what? There’s literally no one legit saying the pelicans offered him that. 

Archived