2018 NHL Draft Thread

flyers0909

2018_NHL_Entry_Draft_logo.png

When: June, 22nd
Where: Dallas

Now that the unexciting finals are over, between two boring teams with no excitement surrounding them, we can look forward to the best part of the offseason, the NHL draft.  

Rankings
NHL.com
Sportsnet
TSN - Button
TSN - McKenzie

Rankings are from like April, it's a shame how rarely these rankings get updated.  I'll try to post new links as they come in.

Draft Order

1. Buffalo
2. Carolina
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
5. Arizona
6. Detroit
7. Vancouver
8. Chicago
9. NY Rangers
10. Edmonton
11. NY Islanders
12. NY Islanders (From CAL)
13. Dallas
14. Philadelphia (From STL lol)
15. Florida
16. Colorado
17. New Jersey
18. Columbus
19. Philadelphia
20. Los Angeles
21. San Jose
22. Ottawa (From PIT)
23. Anaheim
24. Minnesota
25. Toronto
26. NY Rangers (From BOS)
27. Nashville
28. NY Rangers (From TB)
29. St. Louis (From WPG)
30. Detroit (From VGK)
31. Washington

My top targets for the Devils via realistic trade up/current pick/trade down...

1.) Ty Smith | LHD  - Love this kid and think he has sky high potential as a top pairing LHD. Think he is the 2nd best Dman in the draft.
2.) K'Andre Miller | LHD - Transitioned from forward to defense a few seasons ago and his ceiling is massive. Needs time to develop but it could pay off big time.
3.) Vitali Kravtsov | RW - 18 year old Russian who held his own in the KHL during the post season. Potential 1st line RW upside.
4.) Ty Dellandrea | C - Most likely a 2nd line C in the long run but he fits the mold of high character, good skating that Ray Shero has implemented organization wide.
5.) Jett Woo | RHD - Reasoning? *see below*

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, flyers0909 said:

I like Kravtsov a lot, would love if we could snag him at 19.  One of those guys that I feel like he'd be my 2nd or 3rd choice at 14 (give me Farabee) but will be gone by 19. 

If we decide to go with a forward, it 100% better be Kravtsov at 17. I know you shouldn't draft for need (we've seen how that's burned us in the past) but, even without figuring in need, Smith and Miller could be argued as BPA as well. Miller isn't as high risk as you'd think despite being raw so I could easily see him being the Devils pick. He checks all the boxes.

Dellandrea and Woo are the "trade down" guys. Could add AA into that group as well.

45 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

My top targets for the Devils via realistic trade up/current pick/trade down...

1.) Ty Smith | LHD  - Love this kid and think he has sky high potential as a top pairing LHD. Think he is the 2nd best Dman in the draft.
2.) K'Andre Miller | LHD - Transitioned from forward to defense a few seasons ago and his ceiling is massive. Needs time to develop but it could pay off big time.
3.) Vitali Kravtsov | RW - 18 year old Russian who held his own in the KHL during the post season. Potential 1st line RW upside.
4.) Ty Dellandrea | C - Most likely a 2nd line C in the long run but he fits the mold of high character, good skating that Ray Shero has implemented organization wide.
5.) Jett Woo | RHD - Reasoning? *see below*

giphy.gif

I really like Smith but just don't see how he's better than all of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson.  

To be fair though I feel like it's splitting hairs.  They're all so damn talented and we're talking about all those guys in the 5-10 range, it's really not that crazy a ranking. 

I really like Smith but just don't see how he's better than all of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and Dobson.  

To be fair though I feel like it's splitting hairs.  They're all so damn talented and we're talking about all those guys in the 5-10 range, it's really not that crazy a ranking. 

For sure. They are all lumped really close together. Smith is just my preference of the group. 

I could see the Devils trading down as far as Detroit (Vegas pick) if it means picking up one of Detroit's early 2nds. Could see someone like Adam Boqvist falling due to the concussions and Ray getting a nice price for 17.

This draft is really fun.  I think anyone who doesn't have Dahlin, Svech, and Zadina as their top 3 are overthinking it, but after that it's anyone's guess.  You could have like 15 guys that could reasonably go 4-10. 

This draft is really fun.  I think anyone who doesn't have Dahlin, Svech, and Zadina as their top 3 are overthinking it, but after that it's anyone's guess.  You could have like 15 guys that could reasonably go 4-10. 

Yep. This draft is gonna be wild IMO. Absolutely no clue where anyone is going at this point.

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lots of talk about the devils trading down due to the lack of second and third round picks. I have no issue with a trade down and grabbing woo. Sandin would be on my list too.

Sandin and McIsaac are the "safe" guys. Not really needle movers but, if we want depth over impact, I can see it. I'd rather gamble on AA if we traded down.

Archived