2018 NHL Draft Thread

flyers0909

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Man, I hope Shero can work some magic and trade into the 2nd. I want a shot at Woo, McIsaac, Alexeyev, Berggren or, at this point, Bode Wilde.

I would add samuelsson to that list. Sandin too.

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

Not entirely certain. Any ideas?

My first thought is one of the goalies. It's risky for us though. Cory is old at this point, can't stay healthy, has been outplayed by kinkaid two straight years, and is expensive. But when he is on his game, he's still damn good. He can carry a team in a way kinkaid certainly can't. Edmonton could really use a goalie, too. So could the Islanders, and of course Lou traded for him in Jersey.

Kinkaid had been solid two years in a row and really got a raw deal in the playoffs. He wasn't anywhere close to as bad as the numbers made it seem like. Lot of defensive break downs. It looked even worse though when Cory came in and played or of his mind. He's cheap too, but a free agent after this year. Obviously never been a full time starter, but he played 41 last year and you could still time share him with someone like Talbot if you are Edmonton. 

But like I said, risky for us. If we trade Cory, it's possible that kinkaid simply can't carry the load and isn't very good.  Trade kinkaid and then we have no one to spell Cory when he inevitably gets hurt. God knows blackwood isn't ready. Would need to sign someone like Hutton, khudobin or lehtonen for sure

Other than that, not much. Not moving boqvist, McLeod or q-ville for a second. Probably not miles wood either, as maddening as he is, he's still a 20 goal guy and young. But I don't think that guys I'd be willing to move, like speers and lappin have that kind of value. I wouldn't move Bratt for that return with the upside he flashed. Does Santini have that kind of value? Not sure. May be hard to move with Moore unlikely to be back anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

My first thought is one of the goalies. It's risky for us though. Cory is old at this point, can't stay healthy, has been outplayed by kinkaid two straight years, and is expensive. But when he is on his game, he's still damn good. He can carry a team in a way kinkaid certainly can't. Edmonton could really use a goalie, too. So could the Islanders, and of course Lou traded for him in Jersey.

Kinkaid had been solid two years in a row and really got a raw deal in the playoffs. He wasn't anywhere close to as bad as the numbers made it seem like. Lot of defensive break downs. It looked even worse though when Cory came in and played or of his mind. He's cheap too, but a free agent after this year. Obviously never been a full time starter, but he played 41 last year and you could still time share him with someone like Talbot if you are Edmonton. 

But like I said, risky for us. If we trade Cory, it's possible that kinkaid simply can't carry the load and isn't very good.  Trade kinkaid and then we have no one to spell Cory when he inevitably gets hurt. God knows blackwood isn't ready. Would need to sign someone like Hutton, khudobin or lehtonen for sure

Not sure either goalie can grab a 2nd at this point though. Kinkaid is solid but, as you said, he's never been a full-time starter and only has one year left on his deal. Cory is almost a shell of what he once was and carries a big cap hit. Would have to hope Lou was still fond of him in order to pull off a deal. Isles do have 2 picks in the 2nd so maybe they'd be willing to move one. Doubtful though. 

What does Montreal need? They have three 2nds, they can spare one. lol

Mitchell Hoelscher might be another late round Shero/Castron steal. His rankings are all over the place but his highest was 81 by hockeyprospect.com. Pretty damn solid for the 172nd pick in the draft.

I'd like to gamble on someone like Nando Eggenberger or Slava Kotkov with our 7th.

48 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Mitchell Hoelscher might be another late round Shero/Castron steal. His rankings are all over the place but his highest was 81 by hockeyprospect.com. Pretty damn solid for the 172nd pick in the draft.

I'd like to gamble on someone like Nando Eggenberger or Slava Kotkov with our 7th.

I was looking him up as well. The rankings do seem promising. I liked the pick of Bernard in the fourth as well. I'm also glad they went international with Schmid because it's so hard to know when goalies could possibly be ready. Makes sense to take an international one and hold the rights longer

Archived