2018 NHL Draft Thread

flyers0909

Am I the only one who really likes Kupari? I know that he needs a couple of years to fill out,, but he does have pretty solid size overall especially when you project the growth, and I really like what I see from him offensively. Quick shot with some really nice hard to reach accuracy away from the net. I really feel like he has one of the best shots in this class if he gets it down more consistently with some snap behind it. I don't know that he's quite the elite skater that he's made out to be (he's a smooth skater, but I don't see crazy burst, but I could be wrong, just what I'm seeing), but he handles the puck really well and has a knack for being able to create his own opening. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Am I the only one who really likes Kupari? I know that he needs a couple of years to fill out,, but he does have pretty solid size overall especially when you project the growth, and I really like what I see from him offensively. Quick shot with some really nice hard to reach accuracy away from the net. I really feel like he has one of the best shots in this class if he gets it down more consistently with some snap behind it. I don't know that he's quite the elite skater that he's made out to be (he's a smooth skater, but I don't see crazy burst, but I could be wrong, just what I'm seeing), but he handles the puck really well and has a knack for being able to create his own opening. 

Here's a real nice writeup on him from one of the Philly Athletic writers that I really like, Alexander Appleyard.  He specializes in European prospects.  

Rasmus Kupari, Finland, RW/C, 6-foot-2, 189 pounds

Maybe this is the season that Hextall can finally quiet the yearly questions about why the Flyers have not drafted a Finnish player since Joonas Lehtivuori in 2006. Rasmus Kupari, who was born just 20 miles west of the Russian border, would be as good a player as any to break the bizarre streak. 

When you watch Kupari, his potential jumps off the screen. His skill set is simply tantalizing. Already an elite-level skater who can either burn past players or evade them, Kupari possesses a silky set of hands that complement his breakneck pace, making for impressive highlights. Add in a good release and a penchant for making big plays, and he projects to have legitimate first-line NHL potential in the future.

So why has Kupari’s stock fallen over the season? At one point, he was seemingly a surefire top-ten pick, and now projects more likely to go after No. 20 than inside that range. There are a few reasons. First, he is frustratingly inconsistent, and often tries to make plays that are really not there, calling into question his hockey IQ. Sure, he can make some unbelievably “heady” plays, but on a shift-to-shift basis also makes plenty of mistakes. Kupari also overcomplicates things at times offensively, which results in him getting fewer shots off than he should.

Futhermore, he is not as advanced defensively as the other four players on this list. That is not to say he neglects his responsibilities in his own zone; he backchecks hard and can make good defensive plays, but he is not a naturally gifted defensive mind. Furthermore, his stats simply do not add up to what they should be for a player of his high-end skill set. Playing under 13 minutes a game on a very good team didn’t help in this regard, but it is easy to be left wanting more from Kupari.

Given the flaws in his game, No. 14 might be slightly too high for the young Finn considering the other players who could be available, but if the Flyers have trust in Kupari’s upside, they could justify taking him at that spot. However, the 19th pick would be a completely different ball game, and Kupari may well be the player left on the board with the highest upside.

3 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Here's a real nice writeup on him from one of the Philly Athletic writers that I really like, Alexander Appleyard.  He specializes in European prospects.  

That is a real nice write up. Lots of things I agree with in terms of what I see...unfortunately I don't have the access to see the inconsistencies, so I'm glad I read that. I still really like Kupari, wouldn't at all be mad if the Devils took him at 17 even though I would prefer a LHD. 

OT, but is the subscription to the Athletic worth it? I keep debating it. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That is a real nice write up. Lots of things I agree with in terms of what I see...unfortunately I don't have the access to see the inconsistencies, so I'm glad I read that. I still really like Kupari, wouldn't at all be mad if the Devils took him at 17 even though I would prefer a LHD. 

OT, but is the subscription to the Athletic worth it? I keep debating it. 

For the Flyers?  100%.  My favorite writer went from BSH (SB Nation) to there and I also get updates from Appleyard (guy who wrote that Kupari profile) about all our Euro prospect and draft prospects.  

Looks like the Devils guy is Corey Masisak?  Never heard of him but maybe you have?  Looks like he used to cover the Caps for the Washington Times and NHL.com.   You also get national stuff from guys like Custance, LeBrun, and Pronman.  Nice draft stuff with Jonathan Willis too. 

Who's your NFL/NBA/MLB (Giants?) teams?  I can let you know who they're writers are if that'll make up your mind.  You can also usually find a new writer and use their code for a nice discount.  

Like here, $36 for the year:

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan=nt&pc=hh40price&hh_start_time=22:00&source=paywallButton&ref_page=/397246/2018/06/18/ranking-2018-nhl-draft-prospects-based-on-their-statistical-performance/&article_id=397246

I don’t think the Blues make their selection at pick #29. But if they were, I really Like 3 guys... 

1. Ty Dellandrea

2. Jay O’brien 

3. K’andre Miller 

- think the blues trade the pick away though in a deal that sends a top 6 forward to St. Louis. Also is going to be very interesting to see how the Blues handle the goaltending situation. It’s clear the front office is starting to get annoyed with Jake Allen. 

4 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don’t think the Blues make their selection at pick #29. But if they were, I really Like 3 guys... 

1. Ty Dellandrea

2. Jay O’brien 

3. K’andre Miller 

- think the blues trade the pick away though in a deal that sends a top 6 forward to St. Louis. Also is going to be very interesting to see how the Blues handle the goaltending situation. It’s clear the front office is starting to get annoyed with Jake Allen. 

Does 29 get them a top 6 forward though?  It took 27 and a future 1st for Schenn.  Think they'll give up another future after how this year went?

Just now, flyers0909 said:

Does 29 get them a top 6 forward though?  It took 23(?) and a future 1st for Schenn.  Think they'll give up another future after how this year went?

Oh no, I’m saying #29 will be in some sort of package for a top 6 guy. Whether it’s Kostin or Kyrou or Thomas (unlikely, Blues have said he’s not available). I think the pick gets traded. 

Interesting that Adam Mascherin is in the draft again after not signing with Florida. Word is, he just didn't want to play for the Panthers (from their end) but from his, it's that they had no contact with him after his shoulder surgery and didn't invite him to camp. He's an interesting prospect. Wonder where he'd fall in this draft? Same range as last year?

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

Interesting that Adam Mascherin is in the draft again after not signing with Florida. Word is, he just didn't want to play for the Panthers (from their end) but from his, it's that they had no contact with him after his shoulder surgery and didn't invite him to camp. He's an interesting prospect. Wonder where he'd fall in this draft? Same range as last year?

I think he will fall further. Two years older and whatnot. I don't know that he's a great fit for some teams. I feel like he's going to have his most success as a stand and shoot guy with some hard work type goals. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still there and we come up in our fourth round pick

I think at 17, I'm looking at guys who could fall to the devils in Kupari, Smith, Miller (I figure 17 is right around where he is going to go, so I wouldn't consider this him "falling" and he could also be available in the early 20's) Veleno, Dobson and maaaaaaaaaybe Denisenko (he scares me some, honestly, and I think he'll probably be available later so he may be a better trade down candidate, but it wouldn't shock me if someone absolutely loves him and he goes in like the top 13). I have no interest in Wilde or Hayton, to be honest. Something leaves me cold with Wilde, I don't know why. Maybe I'd just prefer to gamble on the upside of Miller. If those guys are gone, I think i'd prefer to trade down. And personally, I think I'd much rather move down into the back end of the first more so than just a few spots down. Give me 28 + 39 from the Rangers. Or 30 + 33/36 from the Redwings. I may not even mind 31 + 45 + something from Washington. 

I kind of dig the idea of being able to grab a pair like Sandin and then Samuelsson potentially. 

Or maybe Bokk and then Tychonick. Even if we made the move with Washington there's a chance one of those guys will still be there, (Kaut could be interesting, as he was flagged with a heart condition at the combine, so he may drop), and then there are others like Ginning and Woo I wouldn't mind (though the former may not be an ideal match for the Devils). 

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

I wouldn't mind one of the defenseman, but I'll be ecstatic if we can walk away with two of Kravtsov/Farabee/Berggren

I really like the defensive crop in this draft up through about the first round and a half / two rounds. 

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There's talks of Dougie Hamilton potentially being shopped. I would be livid.

That's been making the rounds for a while. I'd be really surprised if he's moved...the cost would be insane. Same for Panarin if Columbus is shopping him. I dont' think either will get what the player is worth. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's been making the rounds for a while. I'd be really surprised if he's moved...the cost would be insane. Same for Panarin if Columbus is shopping him. I dont' think either will get what the player is worth. 

Some speculation that the Flames may be targeting Lindholm. Could see them offering him, Hanifin and a bit more for Dougie. I still wouldn't.

Archived