S Earl Thomas announces hold-out in final year of contract, won't attend mandatory OTA's

Broncofan

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does Seattle have much of a leg to stand on? Their defense just got blown up and now their best defensive player is holding out as he seems like he is the only man left

Sure let him hold out till he starts missing game checks that's when the player usually caves.

I'm not sure how many chips Thomas is holding here.

He's a 29 year old in a declining safety market, on a team that is rebuilding, who has actively been shopping him, and has been on record multiple times "contemplating" retirement.

Just my opinion.

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Does Seattle have much of a leg to stand on? Their defense just got blown up and now their best defensive player is holding out as he seems like he is the only man left

Bobby Wagner has been at all team activities as far as I recall. Earl Thomas is a good player, but he's not close to being their best player and losing him isn't going to hurt them as much as people think.

Only way he gets out of SEA is if they accept a late pick to get rid of him. He is a FA who is owed $10 mil for this year and is almost 30 at a position of little market value.

I am not sure anyone would offer more than a 5th, unless some contender really just had a massive hole at safety happen soon (like if McCourty would go down). They might get a 4th but even then I am skeptical.

2 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

He's making $8.5M this season, isn't that like twice as much as most safeties are getting paid??? I think he will regret this.

Not even close. At $8.5M value, he's behind the following names:

Lamarcus Joyner ($11.287M)

Minkah Fitzpatrick ($10.52M)

Reshad Jones ($9.735M)

Eric Berry ($9M)

Malcolm Jenkins ($8.6M)

Jimmie Ward ($8.526M)

I don't see anywhere, when comparing his contract to other Safeties, where he's even in the top 3 of any earning category. Total cap hit he's #4, total guaranteed he's #9, average guaranteed per year he's #12, average per year he's #6.

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

22 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Reshad Jones ($9.735M)

Eric Berry ($9M)

Malcolm Jenkins ($8.6M)

Jimmie Ward ($8.526M)

I don't see anywhere, when comparing his contract to other Safeties, where he's even in the top 3 of any earning category. Total cap hit he's #4, total guaranteed he's #9, average guaranteed per year he's #12, average per year he's #6.

That salary for Minkah is including his signing bonus. 

Also, Jimmie Ward is on the fifth year option, and I believe he's on it as a cornerback, not a safety, which explains why it is higher (he's once against been moved back to cornerback as well) 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, Darth Pees said:
On 6/11/2018 at 12:45 PM, steadypimpin said:

He's making $8.5M this season, isn't that like twice as much as most safeties are getting paid??? I think he will regret this.

Reshad Jones ($9.735M)

Eric Berry ($9M)

Malcolm Jenkins ($8.6M)

Jimmie Ward ($8.526M)

Technically he is correct. Thomas averages 10 million per year on his contract which is 6th and out of the 230 or so safeties under contract and he is making more than twice as much as over 200 of them so he is making more than twice as much as most safeties.

Thomas is technically making 10.4 million this season, 1.9 is prorated and he already cashed that check but that is his cap number and counts on his average yearly salary.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, Heimdallr said:

Could a player just show up to everything (so they don't get fined, etc), but just give 10% effort and walk through everything?

Sure but who the heck would sign a turd like that the following season?

Archived