Is the NFC East the strongest RB division in football?

DaBoys

NFCE Roster:

Ezekiel Elliott

Jay Ajayi

Saquan Barkley

Jonathan Stewart

Derrius Guice

Chris Thompson

Darren Sproles 

Tavon Austin

Corey Clement

Wendall Smallwood

Wayne Gallman

Rob Kelly

Samaje Perine 

Bo Scarbrough*

Keith Marshall

Donnel Pumphrey

Rod Smith

Darius Jackson

Am I forgetting anyone?

Is there another division with anywhere near this depth in the middle and quality at the top?

Eh, “quality” you’re looking at Zeke, Ajayi, Barkley and maybe Guice. Majority of the other guys have either A) shown very little/not enough to put as a quality type player, and B) have shown to be old and past their prime.

NFCS offers Freeman, Kamara, Ingram, CMC, Coleman, Rojo, and Anderson. Not quite the top end talent but more middle grounders. 

NFCW offers Gurley, Johnson, McKinnon, Penny and Penny. Most top heavy but least depth. 

The AFCN offers Bell, Mixon, Bernard, Hyde, Chubb, Johnson, Collins. More potential than anything aside from Bell. 

The AFCS gives you Fournette, Miller, Foreman, Lewis, and Henry. You can do a lot worse. 

Its close, however you want to call it.

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Eh, “quality” you’re looking at Zeke, Ajayi, Barkley and maybe Guice. Majority of the other guys have either A) shown very little/not enough to put as a quality type player, and B) have shown to be old and past their prime.

Chris Thompson has definitely shown enough to be put as a quality player.

5 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Chris Thompson has definitely shown enough to be put as a quality player.

As a third down back, sure. Not as an overall running back, the guy’s never had more than 70 carries. Definitely not enough to put him into a category that also fits Zeke (proven), Ajayi (proven), and Barkley (potential). 

42 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

As a third down back, sure. Not as an overall running back, the guy’s never had more than 70 carries. Definitely not enough to put him into a category that also fits Zeke (proven), Ajayi (proven), and Barkley (potential).

Comparing him to those guys was never my point (I think Guice (potential) also belongs in the category with those guys btw).  But if you want to compare him to guys like CMC, he was on pace to having a better season than McCaffrey in all facets before his QB foolishly dove into the back of his legs week 11 and ended his season.  3rd down back or not, he is one of the best in the league at what he does, and there was a gaping drop-off in our offensive production without him.

19 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Comparing him to those guys was never my point (I think Guice (potential) also belongs in the category with those guys btw).  But if you want to compare him to guys like CMC, he was on pace to having a better season than McCaffrey in all facets before his QB foolishly dove into the back of his legs week 11 and ended his season.  3rd down back or not, he is one of the best in the league at what he does, and there was a gaping drop-off in our offensive production without him.

Guice probably does, albeit a longer shot potential-wise than Barkley. I expect good things out of Guice, though.

I think the difference between he and CMC is that the latter is still expected to produce as full(er) time runner. Thompson is a pure 3rd down back, and a very good one at that. But there’s lots of good third down backs that I wouldn’t place as good running backs. See James White, Theo Riddick, etc. 

Although I included Gio Bernard and Duke Johnson who are both pretty much in that category as well, so fair enough. 

Archived