Roster Holes To Fill

AkronsWitness

Left tackle is a concern, but I don't see an upgrade becoming available, so cross your fingers.  Teams don't just cut good left tackles.  

Beyond that, I am pretty comfortable.  I would like to see upgrades at DT, just in case our young guys don't work out, but much like left tackles, Aaron Donald type players don't grow on trees and they are not cut.

If they see fit to add to our team in the supplemental draft, I am all for it.  But I really don't see many guys that are free agents now that I would want to add, nor do I foresee any guys getting cut that I would want to add unless it's for depth.  I like our starters a lot.

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree with fells. It could even be a week by week situation. Coleman looks like he will struggle with speed rushers, if he goes ok with bull rush players or even average des then we could leave him with less support. 

I hated it last year when we put a sluggish guard at LT and just wanted him to be like Joe Thomas. 

Tyrod Taylor apparently doesn’t have a great deep ball. We don’t have a great lt, we may as well rely on short drops and movement, ie run a west coast offense. 

Ahort drops eliminate the threat of speed rushers. I think the value of speed at the edge is decreasing and internal pressure is ascending in value. At least 2 of 7 of Garrett’s sacks came against guards. The play that won the super bowl was a de vs a rg. Speed rush up the middle is the future. 

I agree with you that interior pass rush is gaining value more and more. That's a factor in why I wanted Bradley Chubb. With the added presence of Ogbah, I think Chubb could have brought serious interior pressure, just killing guards. But I digress.

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just keep adding talent to the d-line. That is our weakest unit.

No, its not. DB is still the weakest until by far. Gaines and Ward are upgrades but other than Ward no one is a true potential stand out. Peppers is going to be improved but we cannot be 100% certain. Kindred is nothing special in coverage and we have ZERO depth at FS. We are one hit away from wasting Peppers at FS again or playing a scrub. The Dline has suddenly become underrated because of the all sour grapes fans who didn't get their Bradley Chubb. Chris Smith is a great 3rd option. Obgah and Garrett are locked in as starters. Carl Nassib and Chad Thomas will fight for 4th DE duties and it could bring out the best in each of them. Even without improvement Carl Nassib is a great 4th options on most any team in the NFL. Chris Smith gave is depth and pushed everyone down a peg in the order to where they belong. Carl Nassib playing as the 2nd/3rd DE was forced to play over his head. Now he will be in the 4th/5th role where he is now one of the better 4/5 options in the league.

41 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

No, its not. DB is still the weakest until by far. Gaines and Ward are upgrades but other than Ward no one is a true potential stand out. Peppers is going to be improved but we cannot be 100% certain. Kindred is nothing special in coverage and we have ZERO depth at FS. We are one hit away from wasting Peppers at FS again or playing a scrub. The Dline has suddenly become underrated because of the all sour grapes fans who didn't get their Bradley Chubb. Chris Smith is a great 3rd option. Obgah and Garrett are locked in as starters. Carl Nassib and Chad Thomas will fight for 4th DE duties and it could bring out the best in each of them. Even without improvement Carl Nassib is a great 4th options on most any team in the NFL. Chris Smith gave is depth and pushed everyone down a peg in the order to where they belong. Carl Nassib playing as the 2nd/3rd DE was forced to play over his head. Now he will be in the 4th/5th role where he is now one of the better 4/5 options in the league.

Other than Myles, who is the true potential standout on the d-line? Everybody else has played like JAGS. Also BBC is playing FS.

You are obsessed with Chris Smith so I won’t start that debate again over a JAG.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Other than Myles, who is the true potential standout on the d-line? Everybody else has played like JAGS. Also BBC is playing FS.

You are obsessed with Chris Smith so I won’t start that debate again over a JAG.

Ogbah isn't JAG. Just because he isn't a speed rusher doesn't mean he isn't a difference maker. Yeah in 1 more game Myles had 1 more tackle, 3 more sacks and a lot more hurries but Ogbah had 3 times as many run stuffs, 6 times as many passes defended, twice as many forced fumbles and even blocked a kick. Garrett is better at getting to the QB and that may be the most important thing, it is certainly the most sexy but there is more than that to the position that can make you good. I expect Garrett to get better but I expect Ogbah to get better too. Wouldn't be shocked if they both make the pro bowl this year if they stay healthy and our offense can get an occasional lead for them to work with. Ogbah may not be as electric but I think he is very important in his own right. We didn't win a game once he went down with his injury last year. Yeah, that was a joke.

Archived