Fewell: Jaguars secondary wasn’t as ‘good as we could have been’

pwny

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/6/8/17441446/perry-fewell-jaguars-secondary-wasnt-as-good-as-we-could-have-been

“We always want to get better and improve. I think that on first and second down, we can be a lot better. I think second down, we weren’t as good as we could have been. Sometimes when we had a two-score lead, we didn’t play as tight a coverage as we could have played. Just shoring up some of the little things like, ‘Hey, we have to have that killer instinct. We have to tighten up.’ Even in second-and-15, we have to tighten up our coverage. We have to be more focused. Those are some of the little things that we have been trying to get better at as well as technique.”

I'm glad he recognizes the thing many of us spent a good deal of time complaining about.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Sounds like he's talking more in execution than in the systematic problems that got on a lot of people's nerves tho, no?

This bit intrigued me: "Sometimes when we had a two-score lead, we didn’t play as tight a coverage as we could have played". 

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

This bit intrigued me: "Sometimes when we had a two-score lead, we didn’t play as tight a coverage as we could have played". 

Yeah, i can see it that way.  But also, it's a position group coach not a DC talking.  So i kinda took it as...they just didn't execute with the sort of coverage standard they expect - on the types of coverage prescribed by the playcalling.

I hope it's the other interpretation.  But i think it can also be taken as just thinking...they didn't execute those softer coverages as tightly as they could have.

Archived