BossierWhoDat's Week 1 Preseason takeaways

BossierWhoDat

Some of my thoughts on that game:

I feel pretty good about our starting O-line, though our backups suck at this point.

Nassib > Grayson. I think Grayson did okay given the crappy O-line, but he still looks like a rookie most of the time he is out there.

I really hoped Ginn would do something about dropping balls. He's gonna cause me to yell a lot this season ¬¬

TL Lewis ABSOLUTELY deserves to make this roster. That dude is working!

I remember one instance where Hooman stood out. Glad to see him back and I'm hoping he has a solid year.

Kamara is exactly what we thought he was. I want to see consistency and durability, but he has the skills.

The defense made some critical mistakes, but overall they looked faster, more confident, and were usually swarming the ball. I like it.

How about Stephone Anthony with that nice delayed blitz?

Kikaha looks like he might be ready to break out!       Hau-oli......Ki-kaha (Ha-kuna  Ma-tata): it means "no worries"

Wil Lutz is looking to be a long-term solution to our kicker problem. I don't feel completely nervous when he's kicking.

I don't usually care about preseason games, but I really hope we get a couple wins (preferably next week and week 3) to give these young guys some encouragement.

Who Dat!

3 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I really hoped Ginn would do something about dropping balls. He's gonna cause me to yell a lot this season ¬¬

TL Lewis ABSOLUTELY deserves to make this roster. That dude is working!

TBH Ginn has never impressed me. Im fine if he gets the axe, TLL looks to be the better player at this point in their careers.

3 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I don't usually care about preseason games, but I really hope we get a couple wins (preferably next week and week 3) to give these young guys some encouragement.

Don't hold your breath! When was the last time we won a preseason game, 2014?

On 8/12/2017 at 7:58 AM, NS922 said:

If Ginn still doesn't know how to catch, he never will.

Yeah. If he doesn't REALLY ball out I want us to cut him. 

Sean Payton gave him praise and said they're not worried about him. Sean Payton also lies through his teeth in about half his interviews. I don't know how they could be fine with dropped TDs. 

7 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah. If he doesn't REALLY ball out I want us to cut him. 

Sean Payton gave him praise and said they're not worried about him. Sean Payton also lies through his teeth in about half his interviews. I don't know how they could be fine with dropped TDs. 

Well, Coby Fleener is still on the team so...

8 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Ginn, Fleener are offense = safe.

I agree with @whodatworm23, if they're on offense, they're fine (Payton's picks), if they're on defense, nobody is safe. 

If Fleener has another year like last year, dude just needs to retire.  Not being able to catch a ball thrown by Drew Brees is ridiculous.  Its not exactly like a Brett Favre bullet, or a Cam Newton 10 feet over your head throw.  

But yeah, Payton seems to have trouble owning his mistakes on offense.  I've noticed this too with his gameplans lately.  He sticks to a failing gameplan until its too late.  Like last year when Brees and the offense was struggling for those two games, he didn't make any significant changes until the Arizona game, when we saw him actually not pass on a dangerous third down for a change.  Which was something we needed two games before while Brees was slumping.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

He sticks to a failing gameplan until its too late.

IMO he bails on a "failing" gameplan too early to see if it's actually failing. 

How many times have we had a balanced rushing attack going and picking up chunk yards until back to back stuffs, and then Payton just shuts down the run game after that? SO MANY TIMES. LIKE EVERY DAMN TIME. :S

26 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

IMO he bails on a "failing" gameplan too early to see if it's actually failing. 

How many times have we had a balanced rushing attack going and picking up chunk yards until back to back stuffs, and then Payton just shuts down the run game after that? SO MANY TIMES. LIKE EVERY DAMN TIME. :S

Yes, he does this with the run game.  I will defend him a little by acknowledging the fact that our run game is very inconsistent at getting positive yardage, and he does have Brees back there.  Also, the defense has probably given up 20+ by the second quarter, and lets be honest, we can't make those points up with our run game.  And how many times have we been not able to run out the clock, and the other team drives on our wet paper bag defense for game winning field goal?

But you're right, he does panic too early with the run game.  Also, I can't stand his playcalling in the run game.  Triple reverse for 10 yard TFL to put us out of field goal range, or run Cadet up the middle, and send Ingram out wide, its just head scratching.

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

But you're right, he does panic too early with the run game.  Also, I can't stand his playcalling in the run game.  Triple reverse for 10 yard TFL to put us out of field goal range, or run Cadet up the middle, and send Ingram out wide, its just head scratching.

There were a few times last year that drove me nuts! Absolute nuts! 

Ingram up the middle for 7. Next play Ingram up the middle for 10 and a new set of downs. Next 7 plays - pass, pass, pass etc.............. punt

Defense takes the field - 6 play drive and a TD.

Offense is now down 7-0. Pass, pass, pass, punt.

Well, we have to get caught up, right?

Thank God the tired, frustrated defense gets to go right back out there after the O burned 1:03 off the clock......

Yea that's bad.  Irritating to no end.  I will point out though that our offense has consistently ranked tops in the league in successful 3rd down conversion, and they've done their part to keep defense off the field.  It's bad when we pass three times for no gain and punt though, burning no time off the clock and sending the defense right back out there.  Our defense is already gassed more than most because even journeyman QBs burn our corners for entire drives, and putting them right back out there just adds insult to injury.

There are some games though where Payton just gets completely off the wall with his offensive play calling.  It sometimes costs us the game, and this is something you don't see from Belichick.  Where as Payton will look like a genius some games, others he looks like a mental patient, while Belichick is solid every single time he steps out on the field.

Archived