Do the huge crowds Caps crowds in DC make Snyder want to build a stadium in DC now?

turtle28

Does the Caps winning a Stanley Cup & getting huge crowds in DC make Snyder want to build a stadium in DC now?

So, Cooley and Kevin were just talking about other sports team in DC and how the caps winning it all and having the huge crowds/watch parties could help with free agents. Cooley said he didn’t think it’d move the needle for actual free agents but when the Redskins, Nats or Wizards they can sell the city in a way they couldn’t before by showing pictures/videos of the fan base during this Stanley Cup run.

Also, Cooley mentioned how this could make Snyder want to have a stadium in DC - where Cooley said it should be - I know the Virginia fans in here still won’t agree with that but I think it could make Snyder more open to relocating the stadium in DC.

10 minutes ago, Slateman said:

He's always wanted to build a stadium in DC. He just doesn't want to pay for it, nor change the team's name (at least, not until he's figured out a way to make a ton of cash off a name change).

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure Snyder can be forced to change the name by the DC government. It would seem to me that Snyder would take them to court and win, but I could be wrong.

That’s true though about the tax breaks and other breaks that Virginia is likely to hand the Redskins. It’s very likely they’ll put together the sweetest deal for the Redskins.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure Snyder can be forced to change the name by the DC government. It would seem to me that Snyder would take them to court and win, but I could be wrong.

That’s true though about the tax breaks and other breaks that Virginia is likely to hand the Redskins. It’s very likely they’ll put together the sweetest deal for the Redskins.

But someone still has to allow the team to build a stadium there, no? And they won't vote for it unless there is a name change. I'm sure there's oodles of legal mumbo jumbo going on, but I don't think Dan actually holds that many cards.

I also saw heard a story on the radio about a month ago about some organization that did a study ranking NFL team stadiums. Guess who finished last? That's going to make him want to do it more than anything. 

You're not wrong in advocating that this doesn't help refrain him though!

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, they cannot force him to change the name. They also don't have to approve a location for a stadium to be built for a team whose name the Council views as racist.

Cuts both ways.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

No, they cannot force him to change the name. They also don't have to approve a location for a stadium to be built for a team whose name the Council views as racist.

Cuts both ways.

Of course 

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Never know, the Caps weren’t supposed to make the playoffs this year

Yeah and that was ridiculous. They lost some role players and a dude who sucked here after a mid-season trade. The core of the group was still here. The idea the Caps weren't going to be good was absurd.

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah and that was ridiculous. They lost some role players and a dude who sucked here after a mid-season trade. The core of the group was still here. The idea the Caps weren't going to be good was absurd.

I thought it was absurd too but they did lack depth at the start of the season and that’s why they started off so poorly and had to be called out by Trotz in a meeting on what they wanted to be in late Nov or Dec.

I mean they had two or three rookies logging major minutes, an a handful of cheap cast offs filling out their last two lines. Those guys stepped up, particularly in the playoffs but no one could have predicted guys like Vrana, DSP, Eller, Kempny, Connolly, Stevenson, Chaison and Djoos would’ve played well enough to help the team win as many games as they did.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:23 AM, turtle28 said:

Sure he can. The Council can simply say, "No stadium within the District until the name is changed." There's nothing to take to court, and even if there was, Snyder would lose.

49 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Sure he can. The Council can simply say, "No stadium within the District until the name is changed." There's nothing to take to court, and even if there was, Snyder would lose.

Is there no jurisdiction in court for him if he wanted to go back to dc and keep the name? I’d have to believe so 

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Is there no jurisdiction in court for him if he wanted to go back to dc and keep the name? I’d have to believe so 

They'd still have to approve the stadium? They can BS whatever they want as reasons not to.

Archived