Jump to content
turtle28

Do the huge crowds Caps crowds in DC make Snyder want to build a stadium in DC now?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, that. That's one side of the coin.

But also with the Caps winning it all and the Nats in the playoffs, you'll see a lot more fans in the city going to see the "winners".

Which means more bodies on metro during the weekday rush hours. More cars on the roads in a city that already has a problem just with rush hour traffic now.

And if two of the other 3 have games the same night as a Redskins game?

More traffic and metro misery. Which means the fan experience will be crap.

Additionally, the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. The Jets/Giants dont even play in New York state, let alone NYC. Both cities would have a parade for the "hometown" team of they won the Super Bowl.

These celebrations don't move the needle to the "build in DC" side. They move it away IMHO

 

 

It’s very rare that all 4 area teams have games at the same time on the same day. Also, as much as the metro does suck, it is more convenient than driving outside the city and on the beltway or to Timbuktu Ashburn and having to deal with that traffic on the beltway and other roads.

Inside the beltway is the way to go for a better fan experience, especially with the commute. I took the metro to work on tuesday and went to the parade for 4 hours. I didn’t have a major issue. Yes, the trains were a little crowded, but not really more than usual because metro ran the entire day like it was rush hour, meaning, they had more trains running all day.

Ask most Dallas/NY fans if they would rather have their team downtown in the city - like Phila - rather than out in the exurbs and they’d tell you they’d rather be downtown in their city unless they happened to live out in that exurb.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, that. That's one side of the coin.

But also with the Caps winning it all and the Nats in the playoffs, you'll see a lot more fans in the city going to see the "winners".

Which means more bodies on metro during the weekday rush hours. More cars on the roads in a city that already has a problem just with rush hour traffic now.

And if two of the other 3 have games the same night as a Redskins game?

More traffic and metro misery. Which means the fan experience will be crap.

Additionally, the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. The Jets/Giants dont even play in New York state, let alone NYC. Both cities would have a parade for the "hometown" team of they won the Super Bowl.

These celebrations don't move the needle to the "build in DC" side. They move it away IMHO

 

 

Rush hour will be a problem once a season on that one random MNF game we get.

With regards to the Nats, there is limited overlap between the teams. Last year's World Series went seven games and ended on November 1. So, at most you are talking about half of the NFL regular season. However, you have to figure at least half of those games would be on the road. So, realistically we are talking about what, five or six days where both teams could conceivably playing in DC at the same time? And that's including preseason for the Redskins and a World Series berth for the Nats. Oh, and most of those games (okay not preseason) are on Sundays so the Metro being overtaxed is less of a problem.

Now the Capitals (and to a lesser extent, the Wizards, though they could factor heavily if they ever figure how build a roster) could be more of a problem. However, there are two mitigating factors on that front:

1. Unlike Sunday baseball (which is much more likely to be at 1pm like football), basketball and hockey games generally are generally night games. As such, there would be enough time for the fans to move in and out of DC (or flow between the games, should they be so inclined). We don't generally rate the 4pm games because ... well, we've been meh for quite some time. So, this will likely be only a potential problem 2 or 3 times a season. Also, if one of those late games is early enough in the season, the Caps/Wizards seasons won't have started.

2. The seating in "We'll Sell Our Name For Bags o' Cash" Arena is 18k. Even a sellout for the Wiz/Caps will have a significantly less impact on the traffic than a decently attended Nats game (and an October game almost assuredly be a sellout).

 

So, while this could be a fig leaf for the Council to hide behind, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:
2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

 

It’s very rare that all 4 area teams have games at the same time on the same day.

That would require the Nats to be in the World Series in game Four or Five since the NHL  and NBA season don't start until late October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Also, as much as the metro does suck, it is more convenient than driving outside the city and on the beltway or to Timbuktu Ashburn and having to deal with that traffic on the beltway and other roads.

@Thaiphoon - something to keep in mind: would you rather the team be in DC for that one random MNF game ... or would you want to see what game day traffic would look like on 28 and 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Woz said:

@Thaiphoon - something to keep in mind: would you rather the team be in DC for that one random MNF game ... or would you want to see what game day traffic would look like on 28 and 50?

I think the answer is obvious. You all think getting to Landover is bad (except for people like me that live in Silver Spring or PG county and DC) I think it’d be much worse trying to get to Ashburn for a game.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woz said:

Rush hour will be a problem once a season on that one random MNF game we get.

With regards to the Nats, there is limited overlap between the teams. Last year's World Series went seven games and ended on November 1. So, at most you are talking about half of the NFL regular season. However, you have to figure at least half of those games would be on the road. So, realistically we are talking about what, five or six days where both teams could conceivably playing in DC at the same time? And that's including preseason for the Redskins and a World Series berth for the Nats. Oh, and most of those games (okay not preseason) are on Sundays so the Metro being overtaxed is less of a problem.

Now the Capitals (and to a lesser extent, the Wizards, though they could factor heavily if they ever figure how build a roster) could be more of a problem. However, there are two mitigating factors on that front:

1. Unlike Sunday baseball (which is much more likely to be at 1pm like football), basketball and hockey games generally are generally night games. As such, there would be enough time for the fans to move in and out of DC (or flow between the games, should they be so inclined). We don't generally rate the 4pm games because ... well, we've been meh for quite some time. So, this will likely be only a potential problem 2 or 3 times a season. Also, if one of those late games is early enough in the season, the Caps/Wizards seasons won't have started.

2. The seating in "We'll Sell Our Name For Bags o' Cash" Arena is 18k. Even a sellout for the Wiz/Caps will have a significantly less impact on the traffic than a decently attended Nats game (and an October game almost assuredly be a sellout).

 

So, while this could be a fig leaf for the Council to hide behind, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Not so sure here @Woz. When I go to a 1pm game, the parking lots don't empty until well past 6pm. I can imagine the metro stops will be packed for an even longer time. And this runs smack into metro traffic coming to those games. 

Like I said, the last time the Redskins were in DC, the Wizards were the Bullets and playing in Landover, the Caps sucked, and we didn't have a pro baseball team. And even then, getting to RFK sucked (either metro or via car).

Adding a stadium inside the city limits makes it exponentially worse now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woz said:

@Thaiphoon - something to keep in mind: would you rather the team be in DC for that one random MNF game ... or would you want to see what game day traffic would look like on 28 and 50?

Oh, I DON'T want it here in Loudoun either!! I like it right where it is. Its metro-accessible and right next to 95 (a major interstate).

 I just hate that stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think the answer is obvious. You all think getting to Landover is bad (except for people like me that live in Silver Spring or PG county and DC) I think it’d be much worse trying to get to Ashburn for a game.

I have zero issues getting to Landover from all the way here in Leesburg. I like the location and think they should stay there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh, I DON'T want it here in Loudoun either!! I like it right where it is. Its metro-accessible and right next to 95 (a major interstate).

 I just hate that stadium.

But having to deal with 95 or 495 to get to any stadium in the suburbs is awful. Wherever it is, they do need to make sure it has metro service and bus service. That’s key, I know some don’t like to use it, but it’s so much better and especially more safer for all the drunks.

A decade ago, my ex-gf and I used to use take the metro from Chevy Chase to New Carrolton and then get on a metro bus there which took us right to the stadium, sipping on our Remmy and coke the entire way there after having a few beers and lunch at Clyde’s in Chevy Chase At 11 am.

Then, Snyder quit paying for that service bc it was hurting his bottom line. But, I’m telling you that was the best time ever and the easiest way I’ve ever had in getting to any stadium in the USA that I’ve been to and the least stressful.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not so sure here @Woz. When I go to a 1pm game, the parking lots don't empty until well past 6pm. I can imagine the metro stops will be packed for an even longer time. And this runs smack into metro traffic coming to those games. 

Maybe so. That said, we're talking about a handful of days where it is a problem, and most of them will be Sundays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Thaiphoon have you been to a Nats game? Not everyone takes the metro, but if that’s an option it helps make the traffic less for those driving. 

It takes until 6 to get out of Fed Field’s parking lots bc they don’t have metro as an option. If metro was an option it would be faster.

Having another tool in the toolbox doesn’t hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@Thaiphoon have you been to a Nats game? Not everyone takes the metro, but if that’s an option it helps make the traffic less for those driving. 

It takes until 6 to get out of Fed Field’s parking lots bc they don’t have metro as an option. If metro was an option it would be faster.

Having another tool in the toolbox doesn’t hurt.

Actually, take a look at the map of metro next time. Metro is an option. The stop is right near the stadium.

As for most people driving to Nats, you're proving my point. Getting to RFK already sucked. Now add Nats car traffic to the mix.

Best location is right where it is currently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Best location is right where it is currently

Problem is adding a new stadium there is not an option. So, either they find a temporary home (only "viable" option there would be RFK ... and the air quotes don't even give enough of the sarcasm requisite) while they tear down and replace FedEx, or they have to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Woz said:

Problem is adding a new stadium there is not an option. So, either they find a temporary home (only "viable" option there would be RFK ... and the air quotes don't even give enough of the sarcasm requisite) while they tear down and replace FedEx, or they have to move.

I know...I know

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Actually, take a look at the map of metro next time. Metro is an option. The stop is right near the stadium.

As for most people driving to Nats, you're proving my point. Getting to RFK already sucked. Now add Nats car traffic to the mix.

Best location is right where it is currently

You missed my point. I’m saying getting to nats stadium is better bc of the metro, I know the metro stop is there, I use it, used it just last week to go to a game.

If you who don’t live near a metro stop, the best way to get to nats stadium IMO is to drive to the closest metro stop and take the big limo instead of fighting traffic. If I’m coming to a game from work and driving to a NATs game, I park around Capitol Hill and then either walk a mile down to the stadium or hit the metro up on Capitol Hill, although it’s easier to walk bc you don’t have to switch trains.

Also, I’ve taken the metro to RFK ever since my dad took me to my first Redskins game when I was 10 in 1989, I never had a problem once.

You're the only person in the world I’ve ever heard say the location of the stadium is best where it is other than ppl who live in landover.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×