Jump to content
turtle28

Do the huge crowds Caps crowds in DC make Snyder want to build a stadium in DC now?

Recommended Posts

Gonna be honest, I've both driven to a Nats game and taken Metro. Unless you live within the district, just drive. It'll be faster, more convenient, and less smelly.  Oh and likely cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Gonna be honest, I've both driven to a Nats game and taken Metro. Unless you live within the district, just drive. It'll be faster, more convenient, and less smelly.  Oh and likely cheaper.

Depends where you park. I could’ve sworn I saw prices of $35 to park 2 blocks away from Nats stadium last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Depends where you park. I could’ve sworn I saw prices of $35 to park 2 blocks away from Nats stadium last week.

If you don't mind a 1/4 mile walk, it's like $7-10.

I just hate driving into and around DC.

That and I like having a nice quiet hour plus after I leave the stadium to sober up before having to drive again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate all things about the metro, but I still take it to games because it allows me to drink without having to sweat getting behind the wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Woz said:

If you don't mind a 1/4 mile walk, it's like $7-10.

I just hate driving into and around DC.

That and I like having a nice quiet hour plus after I leave the stadium to sober up before having to drive again.

I’m with you woz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, turtle28 said:

You missed my point. I’m saying getting to nats stadium is better bc of the metro, I know the metro stop is there, I use it, used it just last week to go to a game.

If you who don’t live near a metro stop, the best way to get to nats stadium IMO is to drive to the closest metro stop and take the big limo instead of fighting traffic. If I’m coming to a game from work and driving to a NATs game, I park around Capitol Hill and then either walk a mile down to the stadium or hit the metro up on Capitol Hill, although it’s easier to walk bc you don’t have to switch trains.

Also, I’ve taken the metro to RFK ever since my dad took me to my first Redskins game when I was 10 in 1989, I never had a problem once.

You're the only person in the world I’ve ever heard say the location of the stadium is best where it is other than ppl who live in landover.

Huh??

Fed Ex field also has a metro stop.

Look.At.The.Map

As for the current location, its 1/2 mile from the largest interstate artery on the East Coast. With multiple directions from the stadium and multiple entry points onto that interstate. Emptying out the stadium is child's play now compared to what it would be if the stadium were inside DC.

So yes, the location is just fine where it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So yes, the location is just fine where it is.

Except for building a new stadium at said location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Huh??

Fed Ex field also has a metro stop.

Look.At.The.Map

As for the current location, its 1/2 mile from the largest interstate artery on the East Coast. With multiple directions from the stadium and multiple entry points onto that interstate. Emptying out the stadium is child's play now compared to what it would be if the stadium were inside DC.

So yes, the location is just fine where it is.

Fed Ex field doesn’t have a metro stop close. It’s about a mile walk.

The problem is the beltway. It’s awful. My work let’s those  who live in Maryland out 2 hours early if there is a Monday night or Thursday night game.

I deal with the Metro daily traveling from MD to Virginia for work. You’re delusional if you don’t think it’s awful.

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve been to DC before, but you can get to 295, 395, 66, 495 and the metro within a few blocks of where you are easily if you actually know where you’re going.

Quote

"Fortunately, the Morgan Boulevard station on Metro's Blue Line is within walking distance of the stadium, providing a fine, inexpensive option for fans," Gershman said. The Morgan Boulevard station is nine-tenths of a mile from FedEx Field, according to Metro. The Landover station is on Metro's Orange Line.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080503094.html

Yeah, have fun walking that in the cold after a Redskins game in Landover, MD.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 6:32 PM, turtle28 said:

Fed Ex field doesn’t have a metro stop close. It’s about a mile walk.

The problem is the beltway. It’s awful. My work let’s those  who live in Maryland out 2 hours early if there is a Monday night or Thursday night game.

I deal with the Metro daily traveling from MD to Virginia for work. You’re delusional if you don’t think it’s awful.

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve been to DC before, but you can get to 295, 395, 66, 495 and the metro within a few blocks of where you are easily if you actually know where you’re going.

And it's still within walking distance. And still just as packed after every game as if it were closer. And if it were closer the first cars would be even more packed.

Yes, the beltway is awful. You'd still need to access it or cross it at some point regardless if you're in the city or not. Its 8 lanes that can handle the 10s of thousands of cars pouring out of the parking lots. Moving it into the city isn't going to magically fix the beltway. Nor will it improve metro

As for DC, I used to work right next to Farragut Square for many many years. Not to mention going to all the bars on weekends.

295 is backed up every afternoon almost like a parking lot. That's just with daily traffic.

Same with 395.

If I tried to get home taking either of those routes, I'm looking at over 1.5 hours to my door.

66 just from Farragut Sq is 45 minutes in rush hour traffic. And you're still in DC! Not to mention the tolls now on 66.

495 is on the west side of the city (past 66). 

All of those routes suck to begin with during rush hour. They will suck the same on game days. But with the added bonus that DC streets will now ALSO suck more while having to deal with 10s of thousands of cars navigating through them so they can go sit in the 295/395 parking lot.

Metro? Dont get me started on how it wont solve the issue. 

Meanwhile, from the moment I start the engine in my car, to the moment I pull in to my driveway in Leesburg, I rarely take more than 1 hr (longest was 1hr 25 mins). Because 95 can handle the load of traffic dumped on it at 4pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sure a mile walk is doable, so is a walk from Landover to Silver Spring, but it’s not fun. A two block walk to a metro stop is much better like at Nats stadium or when it’s on the same block like Capital one.

I guess we’ll have to disagree because metro helps lessen traffic for the other sports (all which are in DC now) and it’s worked out well for the fans of the ENTIRE DC metro area.

You keep talking about your personal commute, well you’re one guy, I’m talking about the entire DMV.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sure a mile walk is doable, so is a walk from Landover to Silver Spring, but it’s not fun. A two block walk to a metro stop is much better like at Nats stadium or when it’s on the same block like Capital one.

I guess we’ll have to disagree because metro helps lessen traffic for the other sports (all which are in DC now) and it’s worked out well for the fans of the ENTIRE DC metro area.

You keep talking about your personal commute, well you’re one guy, I’m talking about the entire DMV.

You talked about your personal commute. So am I. The entire DMV is made up of people on their personal commutes. I'm going from Landover to Leesburg. That' a pretty fair stretch. But whether the route is only 15 miles or 55, those areas are still parking lots. And 95 is still the only route that has the capacity to handle the traffic. Argue all you want about that last statement, but you know it to be true.

As for working out for the entire DC area, let's review some #'s:

Caps/Wizards seating capacity = 18,277

Nats seating capacity = 41, 313

For a total of 59,590 (*). That's around the old RFK #'s. So you've replaced the RFK people traffic (metro and vehicle) and broken it up into 2 different geological areas inside the city. Additionally, neither sport is a big tailgating sport so the outlay for an area for parking is not nearly as large.

Now add a football stadium of 90k people into the mix. Over 50% more traffic than if both those sports were playing home games on the same day. All going to ONE location (not two). Yeah, not seeing how that's much better. And then add to that the rushhour traffic and if one of the other sports is at home that night (100-130k people)? That's a disaster for anyone who wants to get anywhere.

 

(*) The Caps and Wizards can't both play a home game at the same exact time so the number gets counted only once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what if the Washington Kastles and DC United played on the same day too??? MAYHEM!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

For a total of 59,590 (*). That's around the old RFK #'s. So you've replaced the RFK people traffic (metro and vehicle) and broken it up into 2 different geological areas inside the city. Additionally, neither sport is a big tailgating sport so the outlay for an area for parking is not nearly as large.

Except that there is very little overlap in the schedules of those team. If we look at the end of the season 2017 Nationals schedule and the 2018 schedules for the three teams (ignoring preseason games), there's only a few times where both Nats Park and Capital One Arena are both in use at the same time. By my count, there were only eleven times that both facilities were hosting games on the same day (I'm not going back and looking at concerts for Capital One Arena, but that could be a problem as well) in 2017 and 2018. That's with all three teams making the playoffs and the Caps winning the Stanley Cup.

Also, the excitement will likely flow to one arena or the other. When it is the end of the Nats season, the games they overlap with the Capitals/Wizards are more likely to be involved in playoff hunt and/or playoff games, while the Caps/Wiz are just starting their seasons. Likewise, when the Nats open their season, any overlap games are more likely to be Caps/Wizards playoff hunts and/or playoff games. It's likely not going to be max capacity for both facilities at the same time.

 

Redskins with Wizards/Capitals happens somewhat regularly (happened Nov 12 (Redskins played Vikings / Capitals played Edmonton) and Dec 19 (Redskins played Cardinals / Wizards played Cavaliers) just last season). However, that's less likely to cause a problem due to A) the time difference in the game starts, and B) the size difference in the crowds.

At the same time, Redskins overlap with Nats would be a massive problem since that includes the two biggest facilities at a time when (hopefully) the Nats are in a playoff chase and due to the significantly fewer games for the NFL, a packed football game. That is almost assuredly likely happening on a Sunday. Unfortunately, that would likely be both 1PM games. This would be the doom scenario.

I suppose it's possible, you could even get a trifecta (Redskins, Nats, and Wizards/Capitals), but that requires a deep run into the playoffs for the Nats.

 

Is it something that DC (should they choose to allow the Redskins to come back into the city proper) consider? Sure. But I think you are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say this, if they move the stadium to Timbuktu Ashburn, VA, I won’t attend another game. It’s an awful drive out there from Montgomery, Prince George’s, Frederick, Anne Arrundle or Charles Counties in Maryland. Seriously, they might as well build the stadium in Wva if they’re going to do that.

Honestly, I don’t see many fans who live in DC or the Maryland counties that touch DC making that commute, it’s just too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×