Your Team: High Expecations, Low Expectations

cddolphin

17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I guess - but again, you'd have to see the positional value go up across the other 31 teams to justify the money Bell is wanting. 

Bell could go for 2,000 on the ground and 750 through the air - his negotiation point is still whatever the highest paid RB is making (unless the Steelers pull off a Titans and pay him like the Titans paid Chris Johnson back in 2011 - QB money). 

I mean to me if he wants to reject an already well above market deal (Reported we offered $13.5mil AAV) and ask for even more (Reported between $14.5-17mil AAV) then you better not just be top 3, you better be by far and away the best to a point where it's easy to say it's no question he needs to be that overpaid compared to the market.

So to me...Bell needs to put up or shut up in that he is that far and away that level of commitment. (FWIW what he's asking for is more than double the next highest paid guy IIRC)

High:  Mitchell Trubisky.  Is it fair to expect MT10 to match what Goff and Wentz did in their 2nd years?  Probably not, but welcome to the NFL.  Youre a former #2 overall pick.  The team has spent THE ENTIRE offseason dedicated to putting you in the best possible position to succeed.  He has weapons.  He has a an offensive guru for a hc.  Hes got a qb room full of smart guys.  And he has HIS offense thats going to highlight what he does best.  Im expecting 25 TDs and 7 Ints.  

Low: Kevin White.  White is a powerball ticket.  Word out of OTAs has been that he looks explosive.  Hes catching the ball well hes winning jump balls.  So why are my expectations low.  First when you are entering your 4th season and have 5 career games, you have to prove to me that you can stay on the field.  Secondly, White is going to have an uphill battle for playing time.  White is likely, right now at least, the 5th option.  A-Rob, Burton, Gabriel, Cohen, are all at least ahead of White in the pecking order and likely competing with White for the ball is Adam Shaheen and Anthony Miller.  Now White has going for him that hes built a bond with MT10, A-Rob has been out of most of OTAs (However he was back for the last week of OTas, minicamp, and is expected to be fully cleared by the start of TC), and as I mentioned before, he appears to have his athleticism back that got him drafted #7 overall.  Let me be clear, Im rooting hard for Kevin White.  By all accounts he is a really good guy, who works his butt off, but has had terrible, terrible luck on the injury front.  However until I see otherwise, I cant have faith in him at WR

Saquon Barkley has sky high expectations for several reasons.  First of all, he's been hyped up as the best running back prospect since Bo Jackson.  Second of all, the Giants passed on several quarterbacks in his favor.  If Darnold comes out lighting it up for the Jets, Barkley better play up to expectations or else this new Giants front office is going to get run out of town quickly for it's blunder.  The Giants need a 1500+ yards, 10+ TD season from him right off the bat or else it'll be viewed as a disappointment. 

My high expectations for the Lions are that they go 11-5. As long as Stafford doesn't have a season-ending injury we will win at least 11 games. Stafford played hurt in several games over the course of the 2017 season (Against the Saints, Panthers, Vikings, and Ravens, all of which they lost) and had the 32nd ranked rushing attack and still led his team to 9 wins. We also added LeGarrette Blount and improved our offensive line so it's very unlikely that our rushing attack doesn't improve from last year. All we need is improvement from the running game to help Stafford out. We also have a top 5 receiving corps with Golden Tate, Marvin Jones Jr., Kenny Golladay, and T.J. Jones and an improved defense with the additions of Devon Kennard, Christian Jones, Deshawn Shead, and Sylvester Williams. All of those free agents are an upgrade from what we had last season. So an 11-5 season is definitely a likely possibility for my Lions.

The low expectation would be that Stafford suffers a season-ending injury and if that happens then everything is over and we get 5-6 wins. 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:39 AM, warfelg said:

I mean to me if he wants to reject an already well above market deal (Reported we offered $13.5mil AAV) and ask for even more (Reported between $14.5-17mil AAV) then you better not just be top 3, you better be by far and away the best to a point where it's easy to say it's no question he needs to be that overpaid compared to the market.

So to me...Bell needs to put up or shut up in that he is that far and away that level of commitment. (FWIW what he's asking for is more than double the next highest paid guy IIRC)

At first I was going to question you having Bell there, but this sums it up well.

As good as Bell can be, there are too many question marks surrounding him to feel comfortable giving him the type of money he wants.    Beyond just the general hesitation of giving ANY running back THAT kind of money, any remotely smart front office will seriously question his maturity....especially once he locks down all that guaranteed money.     He has proven to be a distraction at times, he often comes across as a very "me" player (although not much more than your typical star player), and obviously, the off field garbage, which Im not TOTALLY convinced are over, especially after he gets a long term contract.   

Then, he tends to get injured at the worst times.    

Then, I question his commitment TO A POINT.     He seems to be focusing more and more on his music career (even though he isnt good IMO), and after he gets paid....who the hell knows.

Personally, I have no desire to see us give him $15+ mil.     Let someone else take that leap. 

High: Mariota

No excuses now with an actual legit scheme from this decade being put in place. Easily the most talented Titan team he’s been apart of as well. He just has to stay healthy for once and run the offense. If Goff can do it, Mariota can certainly do it.

Low: This one is a little tough for me. I have high expectations for the whole team but I do know the OL could be an issue without Conklin(not sure when he’ll be back). Luckily, we have an OC now that can scheme different things if something isn’t working. Also, I do expect a deal to get worked out but if Lewan misses time in TC due to a holdout and with Conklin missing time due to injury, that’s the two best OL out missing important practice and installation time. Hopefully at least this contract gets worked out ASAP. PAY THE MAN!!!

High:  Michel.  The Pats never take offensive skill players this high in the draft.  Even though he won't be on the field all the time, I expect the Pats to be very electric in the short pass game this year.

Low: Secondary.  The Super Bowl was a disaster here but we need some guys to step up here. 

15 hours ago, jvmillion83 said:

High:  Michel.  The Pats never take offensive skill players this high in the draft.  Even though he won't be on the field all the time, I expect the Pats to be very electric in the short pass game this year.

Low: Secondary.  The Super Bowl was a disaster here but we need some guys to step up here. 

I guess these are fair expectations considering the pedigree of Michel and the results of the secondary in the Super Bowl.

However, the Patriots added a great corner in Duke Dawson and return Jonathan Jones from injury to the slot. I realize Malcolm Butler left in free agency, but I really like the youth coming up. I think the pass rush will make a difference for the secondary as well under a more aggressive play caller in Brian Flores.

High Expectations: Patriots Defense

Primarily due to a healthy/retooled front four and aggressive mindset on D, I think the Pats will benefit from a fresh rotation and new approach. New additions on the front four include: Adrian Clayborn, Danny Shelton, Derek Rivers, and Keionta Davis.

Low: Patriots Offense

Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski aren't just getting closer to retirement, they're also becoming lesd engaged which is concerning for the rrst of their teammates on offense. I think the skill positions are all lined up nicely in the event that Gronkowski leaves or is traded away mid-season, but the wuarterback position is a mystery behind Brady. The offensive line is situated well on the interior but question marks remain at left tackle while Marcus Cannon is returning from IR after performing well for only a single season.

High Expectations:

Joe Flacco - He's going to kill it with the pressure on. Drafting Lamar after the ridiculously slow start last year was the perfect motivation for him.

Tyus Bowser/Tim Williams - Two very talented pass rushers. One or both will break out in a big way now that Dean Pees is out of the picture. 

Low Expectations:

Micheal Crabtree - The team never gets it right at this position. Crabtree at his peak was never a good #1, and now two teams have moved on him, so of course we pluck him off the scrap heap. I wouldn't have given that much $ to someone who can't separate. 

Alex Collins - He's fun to watch and I like his burst and vision, but I don't see a next level up. I think we just saw his best season.

Archived