Better HC candidate: Flip or Edwards?

Scout

Better HC prospect?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Better HC prospect

• DeFilippo
    • Edwards

It's hard to say at this point, considering we have absolutely no knowledge of how one of those coordinators will perform.  But, based on personality and what would seem to be more conducive to managing an entire team, it would likely be DeFilippo.  But, it's far too early at this point to really make a qualified judgment.  

I've honestly never thought Edwards had HC in his future. I think it would be risky. It's not his scheme and he isn't even calling the plays. Can he be a leader for an entire team? I mean it's possible, but I never got that vibe from him.

DeFilippo seems to have head coach written all over him.

Not that this makes a difference, but JDF is 40 while Edwards is already 51. Not that it is too old to become a first-year HC (he's actually 5 years younger than Frank Reich, for reference), but I think time is running out. He doesn't really have an amazing resume either, depending on who gets the credit for the job here.

BTW fun fact I found in my research for this: Zimmer moved up to being the third-oldest head coach in the league now after Arians retired and Fox and Caldwell were fired.

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Behind Carroll and Belichick, of course.

Four years younger than both, yes.

Just after Zimmer are Reid, Lewis, Koetter, Reich, Rivera, Harbaugh. That's the current list of 55-year old head coaches.

I don't view Edwards as a head coach candidate at all and I don't actually think anyone around the NFL does either. I know his name was floated around by media talking heads as a possibly but I don't recall any actual reports of teams reaching out to him. If he had actual head coaching aspirations, he's need to prove himself as a DC without Zimmer I think.

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't view Edwards as a head coach candidate at all and I don't actually think anyone around the NFL does either. I know his name was floated around by media talking heads as a possibly but I don't recall any actual reports of teams reaching out to him. If he had actual head coaching aspirations, he's need to prove himself as a DC without Zimmer I think.

Edwards is a great Rooney Rule candidate. Teams can interview him to appease Wooten.

Given enough reps, he may eventually impress a team that is interviewing him enough that they bring him on.

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

He did interview for the Bears job

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't get the Edwards consideration. As long as he's Zimmer's DC it's hard to take him serious. He isn't young like a Mike Tomlin who actually coached a lousy defense in MN.

And as can be inferred from my statement, head coaching is more about personality and organization than it really is about managing one side of a team.  George Edwards, at least from what I've seen, doesn't necessarily have that engaging of a personality to command an entire team...which is fine, because neither do I.  :D  Some people just have reached their peak as a coordinator and there's nothing wrong with that...I'm glad to have him, because I think he's done a pretty good job.  We may never know how much of the defensive game-planning is Zimmer and how much is Edwards, but I'm certain he's still got pretty good influence over it, even if Zimmer gets all the credit.  

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Edwards is a great Rooney Rule candidate. Teams can interview him to appease Wooten.

Given enough reps, he may eventually impress a team that is interviewing him enough that they bring him on.

It's possible, but I've just never gotten the impression he had the 'it factor' like Tomlin had when Pittsburgh brought him in for a token interview and ended up hiring him.

Honestly, I get bored listening to him. I don't even watch his pressers often. I'll watch Zimmer's and Shurmur's/Flip's and even Priefer's, but I rarely click on the Edwards video.

Archived