Brian Flores

Scout

I wouldn't say anthing stands out yet to suggest Brian Flores is the next great head coach. I think he can prove a lot this season as basically a defensive coordinator. I'm not worried about a drop off from Matt Patricia leaving. If anything, I expect an uptick in production now that Flores is having a greater influence. Reports from OTA's by some players, like Dont'a Hightower, indicate Flores is bringing aggression to the Patriots defense. Hightower, by many accounts, was a huge proponent of Patricia's defense so these early impressions can be considered a step in the right direction. I think Belichick is calling defensive plays this season, so if Flores is hired to be a head coach in 2019, he may be brought in to energize the team while delegating responsibilities out to the coordinators. Similar to Vance Joseph, John Harbaugh, Ron Rivera, and Jason Garrett in recent years, Flores may attract the general managers of underacheiving teams that have a playoff caliber roster.

Mike Pettine, former Browns head coach and current Packers defensive coordinator, put it like this when asked if he would be a head coach again:

“It was like going from the teacher to now you’re the principal,” Pettine said. “As a coordinator, it might be 90 percent football, 10 percent administrative stuff. That essentially flipped. And I didn’t like it.”

Archived