When Tyrod Frustrates With Risk-Averse Decisions Don't Worry, Be Happy

Mind Character

I can see it all now....

The Buffalo fans know what's coming...

Lost in the excitement of renewed hope... Browns fans can't see what's coming...

3-and-outs... "Just take a shot man... just throw it," Tyrod seems to not want to push the ball down field. He's hesitating even though there could be a risky pass down field with a huge payoff he decides to tuck and run for short yardage. Punt. Next drive. Check down. Scramble. Run. Punt.

Browns fans say to themselves "this is not an exciting brand of football" ... others say "man can you imagine this offense if Baker gunslinger, leader of men, football savior-cocksmith was in there.. man oh man...," ...The forum erupts with discussion on why Tyrod is holding this offense back.  WRs in the locker room make public comments about wanting more big plays... Hue & Haley do the same...

When all this happens, my fellow FF Bretheren don't give into the non-sense... just remember that risk-averse decision-making and sound defense is a more sustainable model for winning. It'll get you 8 wins in this league. If one has a special defense, it can get you more.

When it comes to production (TDs, yards, etc...), don't discount the work Tyrod does with his legs in extending drives especially in the near-redzone in order to get in field goal range. In the near-red, defenses are often trying to take away the critical TD strike and only give up a FG... Tyrod in Buffalo was exceptional of creating the majority of his rushing yards in this situation and part of the field.

He'll get us a lot of 3s, not a lot of 7s, but won't turn the ball over due to his conservative skill set.

This is a good thing.... it's not going to be exciting... but the winning will.

As fans, we always want more... to me that's where the Baker controversy comes in this year; that is, fans believing that Baker can get even more out of the offense.

Let's just sit back and let it all play out... give Baker the full year on the bench if we can... we're not winning the super bowl this year 6-8 wins would be fantastic.

So, Tyrod's frustrating us with conservative decision-making... so what... go with the flow... Don't worry... Be Happy... we'll likely be stacking up wins for the first time in 3 years.

Tt has had a great passer rating but a low ypg. This obviously demonstrates a conservative approach to throwing the football. The receivers here are much better than buffalo.  Could that be a partial remedy for tt? Also we have two good te’s and 3 good rbs. If our running game gets going, tt will be able to ride the play action for a lot yards. 

Furthermore Tt is in a contract year and will be wanting 30million per year. Maybe this is the year when tt takes more shots? 

The other point is that tt is in his 4th or 5th year as a pro qb. This would be a normal time for  qb to peak. This could be his best year so far.

Well your perception of Mayfield as a gunslinger is inaccurate. I think Mayfield's biggest weakness is going to be that he too is too conservative. He has a better arm than Taylor and lesser legs but he projects, to me anyway, and a more accurate with better zip passing Tyrod Taylor type minus great wheels.

It doesn't mean that is certainly what he will be in the NFL but that is what his college game shows. Yeah he'll hit the wide open shot down the field and he will likely see it more often than Taylor but he isn't a risk taker either.

Mayfield needs to be smart but take chances at times and trust his receivers. Tyrod needs to do the same. I've been a Taylor fan' I am a Mayfield fan. They have the same weakness. It isn't the worst thing in the world, better than taking too many chances and losing your team games but it is still a weakness. Sometimes you have to make the play to win your tam games. Taylor hasn't been that QB so far. That does have to change because he has a hotshot prospect sitting on the bench. He isn't going to see a 5 INT game from him to get his starting job back.

Straw man all you like, Mind, but if Tyrod is low end Alex Smith with this offense, bye Felicia.

Hedge all you want, but if Tyrod goes 15/5, there is no way in hell Dorsey (a smarter football mind than you and I, despite your attempts to make him sound like an a$$hat because he has some media catchphrases) doesn't let him walk. 

When we all are pissed after game eight and he's thrown 7/3 and two in the ground (again, despite your attempt to create another one of your straw man narratives that we'd just be a bunch of "typical Browns idiot fans" for not liking it), we'll be well justified in our disheartened shrug. 

For the record, I think he'll play fine this year, maybe even better than you're saying. To enjoy a 15/5ish year and some ground scores with our offensive talent is the definition of *shrug*.

I don't like these negative posts of yours that masquerade as being reasonable.

I’m 100% ok with it this year. I want Baker to have a full season and two full offseason before we give him the go. Idc about how many wins we have idc about anything but seeing an overall improvement in actually and sound disciplined football team wide not leader penalty yards and turnovers. I just want to see simple elementary football basics done right before we let Baker take over. 

Honestly, if Baker is a good pick we are probably hindering ourselves by not starting him immediately because if he is a good pick he should be able to do very well out of the gate as he turns into a consistent top 8 QB. Now if he isn't a good pick and can't play well immediately and his future is a crapshoot then start Taylor who is the better QB to that. Only one of these QBs could potentially be a HOF QB and it isn't Taylor. Taylor is at least average which Baker isn't guaranteed to be so he has the higher floor as far as performance heading into the season he just doesn't come close to Baker's ceiling which exceeds who Taylor is.

Archived