Reggie Bush awarded 12.5 million from St louis

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Good for him? Had no idea this was a thing or why he's getting 12.5 million.

Second time in 2 weeks a player injured themselves, and a week later the Rams & the STL (now LAR) dome put a mat on top of the concrete surface.    

As much as players know what they are getting themselves into with playing on the field, this seems pretty much a no-brainer for STL/LAR to be liable (the stadium agreement apparently only makes the stadium liable if they are solely in charge, which is why the Rams are the only ones on the hook).

On November 1, 2015, during a game against the St. Louis Rams, Bush slipped on the concrete surrounding the field at the Edward Jones Dome and crashed into the wall. He suffered a season-ending tear of his left meniscus.

Had no idea this was a thing.

I remember this injury. Completely avoidable if the grounds crew in StL didn't leave that exposed, slick concrete uncovered.

Say what you will about Reggie Bush's career (I was very vocal about it back in the mid 00s) this injury effectively ended it, and it could have been avoided. 

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Seems a little exorbant, honestly. But that’s the nature of suing someone nowadays, so I’m good for him.

It's about projected loss in earnings. The injury basically ended his career, and the court apparently thinks he could've made about that much if he'd stayed healthy.

36 minutes ago, SammyBradwater said:

It's about projected loss in earnings. The injury basically ended his career, and the court apparently thinks he could've made about that much if he'd stayed healthy.

Yea I think this isn't as egregious as some might after thinking about his potential earnings but i had no clue that was how he got hurt

1 hour ago, SammyBradwater said:

Yep, I’m aware. But I don’t think he had that much left in the tank anyway. Nor do I think he’d see $12.5M in contract money for the remainder of his career. 

Their argument had to have had focused on losing promotional dollars as well, but even that is projected and likely wouldn’t have gone up in his twilight seasons. He wasn’t very good towards the end and did actually play for the Bills after this injury. His retirement had as much to do with his play as it did a torn ACL (not like this is a bonafide career ender). 

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yep, I’m aware. But I don’t think he had that much left in the tank anyway. Nor do I think he’d see $12.5M in contract money for the remainder of his career. 

Their argument had to have had focused on losing promotional dollars as well, but even that is projected and likely wouldn’t have gone up in his twilight seasons. He wasn’t very good towards the end and did actually play for the Bills after this injury. His retirement had as much to do with his play as it did a torn ACL (not like this is a bonafide career ender). 

I'm just a layman in terms of the law, but AFAIK from reading on this, just a little less than 5M is the actual compensatory value of projected lost earnings to Bush, and "making the plaintiff whole again" - so it's not just the hard earnings lost, but also the emotional aspect "to make a person whole" might play in too (being forced to retire rather than walking away on your own terms, extensive rehab from the injury required, etc.).    In that context, the award isn't crazy.

The punitive aspect is the deterrent/punishment to LAR - if I read the article correctly, up to half of that award actually goes to a defendent's fund that pays other cases where the defendent can't pay the award.   So the system gets 3.75M if the award stands.   Bush keeps the other half, but that's clearly a decision meant to punish LAR more than it is to compensate Bush for his future worth.

SI's story that explains it in better detail - https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/13/reggie-bush-rams-injury-lawsuit-edward-jones-dome

Archived