Reggie Bush awarded 12.5 million from St louis

Kiwibrown

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'm just a layman in terms of the law, but AFAIK from reading on this, just a little less than 5M is the actual compensatory value of projected lost earnings to Bush, and "making the plaintiff whole again" - so it's not just the hard earnings lost, but also the emotional aspect "to make a person whole" might play in too (being forced to retire rather than walking away on your own terms, extensive rehab from the injury required, etc.).    In that context, the award isn't crazy.

Makes it even more exorbant, tbh. I’m pretty against the “emotional trauma”-type arguments that happen pretty often in civil court, so it is what it is. 

I’m not even sure he’d see $5M, either. His career was on a major downswing even before the injury.

Stadiums worth 100s of millions of dollars and they can't even put a freaking mat down. Well deserved settlement even if Bush is getting more than he would have seen playing the rest of his career out.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m pretty against the “emotional trauma”-type arguments that happen pretty often in civil court, so it is what it is. 

Eh you have fairly pessimistic view of our civil courts. There is a fairly high bar that needs to be set to show "Emotional Trauma" that the news just isn't going to show. The news likes to focus on what they believe to be "frivolous lawsuits" which makes the average person assume that pleading emotional trauma is easy. I'm not a lawyer but was a part of a lengthy civil trial after a death and even during a lawsuit that was a direct result of a death "Emotional Trauma" had to be proven. It was actually pretty ridiculous the lengths that needed to be taken to prove it when common sense would say the death of a close loved one would be considered emotional trauma. 

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Eh you have fairly pessimistic view of our civil courts. There is a fairly high bar that needs to be set to show "Emotional Trauma" that the news just isn't going to show. The news likes to focus on what they believe to be "frivolous lawsuits" which makes the average person assume that pleading emotional trauma is easy. I'm not a lawyer but was a part of a lengthy civil trial after a death and even during a lawsuit that was a direct result of a death "Emotional Trauma" had to be proven. It was actually pretty ridiculous the lengths that needed to be taken to prove it when common sense would say the death of a close loved one would be considered emotional trauma. 

No doubt, I do. Nothing against anybody specifically, just not how I align. I work in law enforcement which may add some bias. In this case specifically I just really struggle to see how Reggie is traumatized from this injury. 

Deaths and life-changing injury type cases, I view very differently.

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Makes it even more exorbant, tbh. I’m pretty against the “emotional trauma”-type arguments that happen pretty often in civil court, so it is what it is. 

I’m not even sure he’d see $5M, either. His career was on a major downswing even before the injury.

You misunderstand my point on “making the player whole” - making Bush go through the 12-18 month rehab post ACL (it takes 18 months to get full explosion even after players return to injury) probably factors into the 5M award.  

With most vet FA RB’s getting 1.5M - 2M per year just doesn’t seem like it’s that crazy to award 5M when you factor in that the injury rehab isn’t required if the injury doesn’t happen.   FWIW I’m not sure Bush had 2-3 seasons left but we see 3rd down guys like Sproles & Charles Sims hang around.   I lean to your take on his likely longevity but it doesn’t seem crazy to award less than 5M here. 

Now if the appeal suggests the jury was out to punish LAR for leaving STL I could see the merit.  Honestly though I don’t know that the Rams will do much better the PR hit may not be worth the appeal.  Given what went down I don’t know how they get a reversal of the ruling it seems like the penalty is the only area of debate.  

12 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Never heard of this, but I know that place was a dump. It's pretty clear the state of the stadium caused an injury that didn't allow him to make his living. A good ruling, and I can't see how St. Louis wins the challenge.

Haha wow, what a terrible take

Lets get a couple of things straight, First of all Reggie isnt getting any money from St Louis, so the thread title is misleading, He is getting it from The Rams. The case was just heard in St. Louis because that is where the incident took place.

Also the Dome isnt a Dump, this isnt the Oakland Coliseum. Its just unremarkable. It was one of the last stadiums built before all the bells and whistles were added in. The ownership just never invested in those things. So as a building its completely fine, and the state of the stadium had nothing to do with Reggie's injury, it was the negligence of the Rams to properly outfit the stadium to protect the player.

19 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

No doubt, I do. Nothing against anybody specifically, just not how I align. I work in law enforcement which may add some bias. In this case specifically I just really struggle to see how Reggie is traumatized from this injury. 

Deaths and life-changing injury type cases, I view very differently.

Huh?

Archived