CalhounLambeau 2018 NFL Draft Thread

CalhounLambeau

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Am I the only one beginning to sour a little (emphasis on little) on Sam Darnold? I just don't see it. Josh Allen's play can be chalked up to the lack of talent around him. What's Darnold's excuse thus far? Thoughts, CL?

I haven't soured on Sam Darnold at all. I expected him to have some rough patches this year. This idea that he was going to come into the season balls on fire and be a flawless quarterback after just turning 20 years old has annoyed me. He lost his reliable outside receivers.  Ronald Jones was ineffective week 3 and out week 4 and they've been relying on a freshman. This idea that USC is just flush with ready NFL talent at the skill positions is not accurate. Darnold doesn't have that much to work with right now and couple that with coordinators gunning to stop him with a years tape to review. Not worried at all. Darnold isn't super human. He's a really good young QB (year younger than Josh Allen) that has all the tools. I'm not worried about Darnold at all because I've seen this 10,000 times with QB's who have started really early in their careers. People can't put anything in perspective and want to rush to judgement. Darnold was just 19 years old a few months ago. I mean come on, relax.

32 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Yeah, not the best start but he's played better than his TD/Int ratio would lead you to believe.

Agreed. The freshman to sophomore transition for a young QB is rarely a big progression that can be seen by the eyes of fans. What he's done at age 19 has been extraordinary. I think he'll progress just fine over time. But people want to treat him similarly to a 22-23 year old senior QB who's about to declare for the draft. I'm just not going to do that. You can't treat them the same in my book. Darnold is advanced for his age which helps and hurts him. People like me give him a longer leash. Some people choose to treat them harshly and ignore special circumstances which I don't agree with.

11 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I think you will be moving Stidhan QB, Auburn, up your charts. I think he will finish no worse than #5 and could rise even higher. IMO, he is a better pro prospect than Mayfield and Fitzgerald. But you have to love Mayfield's leadership character and his mental toughness.

We'll see. My database isn't a ranking at this stage. It's more based on reputation at this point. I haven't evaluated any 2017 tape yet. Stidham still has two additional seasons of eligibility. I don't think he would declare - especially if all the big names at QB come out.

32 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Agreed. The freshman to sophomore transition for a young QB is rarely a big progression that can be seen by the eyes of fans. What he's done at age 19 has been extraordinary. I think he'll progress just fine over time. But people want to treat him similarly to a 22-23 year old senior QB who's about to declare for the draft. I'm just not going to do that. You can't treat them the same in my book. Darnold is advanced for his age which helps and hurts him. People like me give him a longer leash. Some people choose to treat them harshly and ignore special circumstances which I don't agree with.

Who even knows if he'll come out this year anyway. You brought up a great point about the weapons. They have a really strong run game but Deonte Burnett and Steven Mitchell are the only reliable targets on the team right now and they aren't exactly world beaters.

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Who even knows if he'll come out this year anyway. You brought up a great point about the weapons. They have a really strong run game but Deonte Burnett and Steven Mitchell are the only reliable targets on the team right now and they aren't exactly world beaters.

That's possible. Darnold is a lifelong USC fan and comes from a humble family. I think he'll go but whatever he decides to do is fine by me. I'm never going to make a fuss or call a player stupid for staying in school if it's a good school and will further foster his football development.

15 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

That's possible. Darnold is a lifelong USC fan and comes from a humble family. I think he'll go but whatever he decides to do is fine by me. I'm never going to make a fuss or call a player stupid for staying in school if it's a good school and will further foster his football development.

I've never understood when people get mad at a player for staying/leaving school.

4 hours ago, Scout said:

I've never understood when people get mad at a player for staying/leaving school.

Exactly. It's really none of our business.

I'm fine with Sam Darnold staying or going. Either way he'll grow as a player and be in a great position. Josh Allen isn't really in an advantageous position right now at Wyoming for football and should be on schedule for getting his degree so I don't understand the positives for him staying. But if he does, maybe he just loves being at Wyoming? What do I know about it? Everyone is wired differently and has different values. I'm not their accountant.

I am different, it raises a red flag for me when a solid high pick returns to school. Football carries with it, a high injury factor and to risk your career for nothing makes me wonder how committed a player is to his craft.

Students go to school to learn so they can get a good paying job, turning down a job makes zero sense to me, unless a player's priorities lay elsewhere and that makes me very suspicious of his dedication and character.

I can understand a lower draft quality player wanting to return to school, to better himself so he can get drafted even higher, but when a 1st rounder, especially a top 10 potential draft pick returns to school, well bells go off for me.

Heck, I loved university, all the parties and girls were great for 4 years, but nobody was offering me a lot of money to play sports, or I would have been gone in a minute. The only reason I can understand for returning to school, is because of the parties and girls or boys, depending on your sex, I will continue to question any top ranked athlete that does so, because you will learn more in one season under pro coaching than you will learn in 4 year's of college coaching, because college coaches are only interested in winning and really have no reason to teach pro techniques if a college player is performing well. They will not change what isn't broke, for the college game.

18 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Exactly. It's really none of our business.

I'm fine with Sam Darnold staying or going. Either way he'll grow as a player and be in a great position. Josh Allen isn't really in an advantageous position right now at Wyoming for football and should be on schedule for getting his degree so I don't understand the positives for him staying. But if he does, maybe he just loves being at Wyoming? What do I know about it? Everyone is wired differently and has different values. I'm not their accountant.

Josh Allen was so close to coming out last year. I think his stock is lower in the media than the league. Spoke to a scout who did the last 3 games on the top 4, and still has Allen #1. Unless Allen completely falls on his face or I'd imagine he's a top 50 lock.

Archived