CalhounLambeau 2018 NFL Draft Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 11/12/2017 at 12:41 PM, Calvert28 said:

Curious what your day job is bud. That's impressive. xD

Don't tell anyone, but CalhounLambeau is the Master Planner of Covert Operations for the CIA in his day job. When he's not mapping out strategies for infiltrating terrorist cells or bringing down the president of North Korea, he does this draft stuff for fun.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Haven't evaluated him yet. So nothing has changed. Should have more to say about him in January. 

Looking forward to it.

I haven't gotten to see him enough to have a great opinion either. What I do know is that the one game I watched (Iowa), his receivers were constantly blanketed in coverage. Every throw was into tight, tight coverage, which made it very difficult to make an opinion on him. On his bad throws was it because he was forcing the ball since others weren't open, or was it just a poor decision? For all the concerns throughout that game, my biggest takeaway was that he looked like vintage Ben Roethlisberger at times. We all know about the freakish arm talent, but his ability to allude and overpower pass rushers in the pocket while keeping his eyes down field was something special. 

I think people look at the stats and say "he's raw, but so is Lamar Jackson... Jackson produces more so he should go higher", but they seriously underestimate Allen's gifts. In terms of sheer strength/athleticism for the NFL version of the QB position, he may be the most gifted since Cam Newton. Then you consider the offensive schemes, the talent, and I ask myself what Josh Allen could've done if he played for the 2010 Auburn Tigers... what would've Cam did for the 2017 Wyoming Cowboys...

I really hope he gets to play at the senior bowl because that can arguably be a better evaluation than some of the Wyoming games this year, much like it was for Carson Wentz. 

Marcus Baugh | 5SR |  DOB: 12/09/94 | 6’4” 250e | Ohio State

Position: Tight End  |  Projection: Free Agent  |  Comp: Tyrone Davis (GB)

Games Evaluated: Michigan (2017), Illinois (2017), Iowa (2017), Michigan (2016)

Background: California native. Four-star recruit according to ESPN. Criminology major. Redshirt. Played in 12 games as a freshman. Started 4 of 13 games played as a sophomore.  Started all 13 games as a junior. Started all 14 games as a senior. In the summer of 2013 was caught for underaged drinking and possessing a fake ID. In January of 2014 was caught drinking underage again and was suspended two games. In 2016 played through a shoulder injury and had surgery in the offseason which kept him out all spring prior to the 2017 season. Was seen in a walking boot during the summer of 2017.

Positives: Solid height. Looks to have ideal arm length and large hands. Good height to weight ratio. Ideal thickness throughout his body with strong ankles to hold it all up. Has room to add more weight if needed. Adequate speed and a functional athlete for his size. Comfortable leaving his feet to make plays on the ball. Works hard after the catch to get more yards. Not afraid to put his body in harm's way and will hurdle defenders. Doesn’t seem to the mind the physical aspect of the position and generally works to find players to hit down the field in support of his teammates. Had some very public incidents early in college career but matured past them.

Negatives: High-cut build. Has some disconnect between his upper and lower body. Awkward lower body movement.  Lacks ideal speed and won’t threaten with it after the catch. Unable to make sharpe, concise cuts in the open field giving defenders time to anticipate his moves and thus rarely creating separation. When changing direction in the open field he needs room to unwind his legs which slows him down. Often looks lost when the play breaks down and struggles to find open space. Needs a good amount of room to create a blocking base. The length of his legs often causes him lose balance when blocking. Often gets turned and spends too much time on the ground. Has trouble holding blocks and squaring up blocks on the move. Knees invert slightly. Doesn’t show enough violence and willingness to finish blocks. Dropped passes might be an occasional concern as some concentration lapses were noted. Will sometimes let up before the whistle sounds. Too often goes through the motions. His build puts himself at a higher risk of lower body injuries. Will turn 24 years old as a rookie.

Outlook: A functional athlete inside of a large frame that will find himself on an NFL team during the spring. Comes from a big program and has played a lot of games but has very limited production in the passing game. He doesn’t stand out in any area and his body type limits him as a receiver and as a blocker.

Brian O’Neill  | 4JR |  DOB: 09/15/95 | 6’5” 305e | Pittsburgh
Position: Offensive Tackle  |  Projection: 2nd Round  |  Comp: NA

Games Evaluated: Syracuse (2017), Northwestern (2016)
Background: Delaware native. Three-star recruit according to 247Sports. Finance major. Redshirt. Changed positions from tight end to offensive tackle. Started 12 of 13 games as a freshman. Started 13 games as a sophomore. Father played running back at Dartmouth and mother was a swimmer at Northeastern. Has three siblings including a brother who played soccer at Northwestern. Declared for the 2018 NFL Draft with remaining eligibility.

Positives: Height is right where you like it with bulk in his hips and backside. Upper body has filled out nicely over time. Proportioned body. Solid height to weight ratio. His quick feet and smooth hips allow him to get into position with ease. A fluid mover who looks natural in space. Great range and stamina to run down the field. Excellent balance and rarely finds himself on the ground. His background as a tight end allows for flexibility at the next level to be used occasionally in passing situations.Has some real upside as his body continues to develop and he continues to learn a position relatively new to him. Has an even playing demeanor and doesn’t lose control over his emotions. A quick learner who is very intelligent. Known for being incredibly competitive. Mature with leadership qualities. No off-field issues. Handles the media well.

Negatives: Doesn’t appear to have great arm length and has small hands. A little thin below the knees. Lacks great natural power and not a physical dominator who plays violently. Doesn’t love to hit and too often doesn’t hunt to hit more when he could. Can play tall and straight which causes him to lose leverage. Inconsistent finding and hitting blocking targets on the second level.

Outlook: A finesse tackle who is still learning the position. You can still see glimpses of a former tight end in his play. Although he lacks great measurables and still needs work he is a fine athlete with an intriguing blend of intelligence, athleticism and versatility.

Speaking as an OSU fan, Marcus Baugh can't graduate soon enough. He's a guy that occasionally stretches the field/seam and constantly drops passes. He never got better from his sophomore year on. He's a fine blocker, but he's much better at the 2nd level than at the point of contact. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Speaking as an OSU fan, Marcus Baugh can't graduate soon enough. He's a guy that occasionally stretches the field/seam and constantly drops passes. He never got better from his sophomore year on. He's a fine blocker, but he's much better at the 2nd level than at the point of contact. 

Thanks for the insight. I've only watched a few games but a lot of those things above were clear in what I watched. He's an example of a good athlete in a line. As soon as you make him move laterally whether it be running routes or blocking he gets exposed due to his body type. It limits everything he does. In the games I watched I noted two drops but both of them were so remarkably clumsy and couple that with the fact he was utilized so little in the passing game I knew there had to be a history there. I'm just speculating on his character and I didn't put this in my report yet but he doesn't appear to me to be a guy who loves playing football - which is fine but not ideal. I noticed so many negative plays in all aspects and got a vibe that he was just going through the motions.

8 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Thanks for the insight. I've only watched a few games but a lot of those things above were clear in what I watched. He's an example of a good athlete in a line. As soon as you make him move laterally whether it be running routes or blocking he gets exposed due to his body type. It limits everything he does. In the games I watched I noted two drops but both of them were so remarkably clumsy and couple that with the fact he was utilized so little in the passing game I knew there had to be a history there. I'm just speculating on his character and I didn't put this in my report yet but he doesn't appear to me to be a guy who loves playing football - which is fine but not ideal. I noticed so many negative plays in all aspects and got a vibe that he was just going through the motions.

He's an extremely frustrating player. He makes some nice TD catches/plays like in the Penn State win, and then he'll figure out a way to drop a wide open throw. I'm not sure if he's a guy who is disinterested, a guy who physically maxed out at about age 20, a guy with concentration issues and/or stone hands, or a guy that honestly would have been a big fullback about 15 years ago (plus he was a LB in high school)...or all of the above.

He's a slightly above average TE in a Power 5 Conference. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the type of guy that had a great combine/pro day and figures out a way to get drafted in Rounds 6-7 and trick some team into talking themselves into developing his raw athleticism. I just don't see it.

James Washington  | 4SR |  DOB: 04/02/96 | 6’0” 205e | Oklahoma St.
Position: Wide Receiver  |  Projection: NA  |  Comp: NA

Games Evaluated: Texas Christian (2017), Texas (2017), Pittsburgh (2017), Oklahoma (2017), Tulsa (2017), Kansas State (2016), Texas (2016)

Background: Texas native. Three-star recruit according to 247Sports. Agribusiness major with an option in Farm and Ranch Management. Started 5 of 12 games as a freshman. Started all 13 games as a sophomore. Started 12 of 13 games played as a junior. Started all 13 games as a senior. Came from a very small town in Texas and was a late recruiting find. Enjoys hunting and fishing in his spare time. Accepted invitation to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl.

Positives: Adequate height. Appears to have decent sized hands. Strong and muscled  throughout his body. Has good bulk throughout his lower half and has especially big calves and wide ankles. Good height to weight ratio. Blistering straight line speed once he’s gotten warmed up and regularly gets behind corners. A strong leaper who times it right and is comfortable attacking the ball at the ceiling. Consistently catches the ball. Rarely relinquishes control of the ball after the catch. Doesn’t let contact or the fear of contact impact of how plays. Comfortable making catches outside of his frame and can haul in the one-handed grab. Excellent ability to track the deep ball. Focused and makes very few mental mistakes. Shows strong effort as a blocker supporting his teammates down the field. A simple, hardworking guy who comes from a humble and supportive family. Even-tempered with an anti-diva personality. Respectful. Soft-spoken. Developed into a vocal leader as he matured.

Negatives: Lacks ideal arm length. Has a very high-cut and unusual build for a player at his position. Takes some time to get to full speed and when gearing down to cut back to the ball. His long-legged build makes it difficult for him to lower his hips and snap laterally when running routes and after the catch. The only strong separation he gets consistently is utilizing his speed in a line. Shows good vision after the catch and an awareness of what’s going on around him but physical limitations damper after the catch creativity. Didn’t have the opportunity to run many different routes coupled with a simplistic offense means there might be a transition for him at the next level. Has yet to get hurt but more playing time in the NFL coupled with his body type invite a more likely chance of lower-body injuries.

Outlook: A vertical threat in an interesting physical package. His speed, timing, fearlessness, hands and strong football character could combine to form a player that has success. He may find trouble replicating how his bread was buttered in college at the next level and may find himself to be more of a novelty item in a rotation than a featured star.

Serious question:

If somehow/someway James Washington comes in measuring about 6'0.5-6'1, would that change anything for you, as we've talked a little about if he comes in under 5'11. 

Sidenote: I'm also intrigued to see IF/WHEN Washington learns to run these NFL routes. He wasn't asked to do it at OK State but that doesn't mean that he can't. (Obviously the opposite is true as well).

I love his personality, work ethic, and leaping ability with hand strength. If he can run those short/intermediate routes with crispness, I like his odds at succeeding because I love the way that he's wired personally.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He'll be fine, we all know he is one dimensional, he does a really good job blocking. If he can do one thing well, he can make it in the league, if Vannett and Heuerman develop into serviceable TE 2s, Baugh can as well.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He'll be fine, we all know he is one dimensional, he does a really good job blocking. If he can do one thing well, he can make it in the league, if Vannett and Heuerman develop into serviceable TE 2s, Baugh can as well.

True that.  That's just OSU's usage of the tight end and has been for at least the last 10 years.  Players like Vannett and Heuerman would have had more production on teams like Iowa, Penn State or Wisconsin.

Archived