2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

54 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Who advised Josh Allen to comeback to school? All of his weapons from last year are gone and there's little to no talent around him offensively. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Matt Barkley situation.

That was a concern of mine going into the season that I mentioned several times - that actual tape was going to be more important than the boxscore. You can't take an NFL caliber running back, his favorite wide receiver (and fringe NFL talent) and pieces off an already somewhat porous offensive line (with Roullier being a fringe nfl caliber player) and expect things to get considerably better. That being said, while I just watched the game and didn't really break it down at all yet, this was an awful game. Even on tape. Started out underwhelming, turned awful and very similar to a lot of the problems he displayed last year. 

Even though this is the first game of the season, it meant something. One, it's on the road. And I like to see quarterbacks do somewhat well on the road in college. Next, he doesn't really have a lot of showcase games on the schedule. Oregon is a step up from his conference, but its not like they're good. CSU isn't bad, but that's going to be a home game and they're probably closer to a top 35-40 team as opposed to a top 25 one. This game was a true showcase for him, and he flopped. The only other game that can be comparable is Boise, which is also on the road. Unfortunately, even if he plays well in the coming weeks, there's not a lot I can take from matchups against a team like Gardner Webb or Texas State. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

A lot of people never though Snead was that good either though. Just overhyped. If you believe that Allen is good ,then it's not comparable...if you believe that Allen is overhyped and not very good, that makes sense. 

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but wasn't Snead thrown around as a potential #1 pick preseason?

1 hour ago, PAW said:

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but wasn't Snead thrown around as a potential #1 pick preseason?

By media people definitely. But i feel like i remember a lot of draftniks not liking him. I could be the one remembering incorrectly though

4 hours ago, Forge said:

That was a concern of mine going into the season that I mentioned several times - that actual tape was going to be more important than the boxscore. You can't take an NFL caliber running back, his favorite wide receiver (and fringe NFL talent) and pieces off an already somewhat porous offensive line (with Roullier being a fringe nfl caliber player) and expect things to get considerably better. That being said, while I just watched the game and didn't really break it down at all yet, this was an awful game. Even on tape. Started out underwhelming, turned awful and very similar to a lot of the problems he displayed last year. 

Even though this is the first game of the season, it meant something. One, it's on the road. And I like to see quarterbacks do somewhat well on the road in college. Next, he doesn't really have a lot of showcase games on the schedule. Oregon is a step up from his conference, but its not like they're good. CSU isn't bad, but that's going to be a home game and they're probably closer to a top 35-40 team as opposed to a top 25 one. This game was a true showcase for him, and he flopped. The only other game that can be comparable is Boise, which is also on the road. Unfortunately, even if he plays well in the coming weeks, there's not a lot I can take from matchups against a team like Gardner Webb or Texas State. 

Ben Roethlisberger, while at Miami, (Ohio) had a similar game against Iowa in the 2003 season opener. Actually his was worst, 4 INTs. He was able to bounce back that year and got picked high in his draft. It wasn't pretty, but let's see how the season plays out.

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

Ben Roethlisberger, while at Miami, (Ohio) had a similar game against Iowa in the 2003 season opener. Actually his was worst, 4 INTs. He was able to bounce back that year and got picked high in his draft. It wasn't pretty, but let's see how the season plays out.

Humorously, thats been my comp for Allen for quite some time

Yesterday, the QB prospect that impressed me the most was Mayfield. Darnold is a joke (USC QB hype), Allen i don't even know why he's a top prospect. I want to see Rosen play before claiming Mayfield is the better of all. 

Next week, Mayfield will play against Ohio St and we will see if it's for real. 

Just now, Abe56 said:

Still dont 

The excuse for Christian Hackenberg was that his team sucks, therefor he's better than he appears. You started making the same (flawed) argument for Josh Allen, so @CWood21 pointed that out. His point had nothing to do with the current players at Penn State (that have nothing to do with Christian Hackenberg anyway).

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

The excuse for Christian Hackenberg was that his team sucks, therefor he's better than he appears. You started making the same (flawed) argument for Josh Allen, so @CWood21 pointed that out. His point had nothing to do with the current players at Penn State (that have nothing to do with Christian Hackenberg anyway).

Then I did understand the point, because all the guys I named Hackenberg played with in his final season at Penn St.  And I didnt include guys like Allen Robinson from early in this Penn St. career.  I always said the Hack had no talent around him excuse was false, while Allen legitimately doesn't.  He had a few decent ones last year though.

Archived