2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

Outside of the well known, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph, Falk, Browning, who else do people line out there and why? The kid from Miss St? Memphis? The Auburn transfer? USF? I'm looking for more guys to watch and pay attention to over the course of this season.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Outside of the well known, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph, Falk, Browning, who else do people line out there and why? The kid from Miss St? Memphis? The Auburn transfer? USF? I'm looking for more guys to watch and pay attention to over the course of this season.

Nick Fitzgerald is legit, has all the tools and operates a system that translates to the NFL. Quinton Flowers is fun, but likely doesn't stay at QB in the NFL. Some people like Mike White from Western Kentucky, though I haven't really watched him yet. Logan Woodside is fun, surrounded by a lot of talent for his level of competition though. Baker Mayfield is a big name that you missed, but he ain't that great. Deondre Francois is worth mentioning too, has some potential (not likely to declare as a rSO though). Some people like Matt Linehan as a "sleeper" but really he just isn't that good. Wilton Speight will hopefully declare for the draft this year, probably ends up as a backup level player, but he's worth watching because you never know how a guy will develop with a coach like Harbaugh.

22 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Josh Allen might be my favorite QB in this draft so far. 

I legitimately have an extremely hard time getting over that completion percentage...it doesn't bode well for his ability to consistently move the chains at the next level.

Forgot about Mayfield, I actually am a fan of his game. By no means a bonafide starter in the NFL but put him on a team with an established, older QB already and I like his chances after sitting and learning. Between the tools he already has and play making ability he has I wouldn't be shocked to see him start eventually. I really like Francois, the toughness and poise he showed last year coupled with his arm talent but I don't really see him coming out next year.

Ill have to look into Mike White, heard the name but haven't watched anything of his. Anyone got a rough scouting report of Riley Ferguson from Memphis?

I'm actually along the lines with your thinking on Allen @CWood21. Kid can make some nice throws and definitely has an arm on him but crumbled against any form of competition and talent, makes terrible decisions at times and is pretty inconsistent. Kind of reminds me of a Christian Hackenburg with too much confidence if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I legitimately have an extremely hard time getting over that completion percentage...it doesn't bode well for his ability to consistently move the chains at the next level.

Have to keep in mind that he's playing with Wyoming. His surrounding talent is a problem compared to all the other QBs we are comparing him to. A lot of drops and not a perfect oline. He and Rosen had a surrounding issue, but Allen's was worse.  Allen shows all the skills you need to make it. Moves very well in the pocket, keeps his eyes down field, scans the field and can make all the throws.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Typically, that's a major flag for me as well. In fact, Allen is usually the type of prospect that I loathe - insane upside with a high bust factor, with problems that may not be correctable. The completion percentage is no doubt one of them. Which makes the fact that I have to have been one of the earliest guys to jump on his bandwagon kind of crazy. Last year, the best throws I saw from any quarterback came from Allen (two fantastic sideline passes in the Boise game spring immediately to mind). Yes, his ball placement is not ideal, and I do see quite a few unforced errors at times, but I also didn't see much better from Mahomes, yet his percentage was like 10 points higher. This is an instance where I think the numbers lie, just a little bit. As @rickyt31 alluded to, he suffered from a lot of drops. Also, a weird number of tipped passes...I'm not sure why that is given that the dude is 6'5. Plus, he's not working the same system as Mahomes. Yet nobody really thought inconsistent accuracy and ball placement was a major flag for Mahomes. The talent disparity when he plays a team like Nebraska is noticeable.

That being said, you're 100% correct that it needs to improve. More to the point, the decision making needs to get a lot better. Otherwise, there's a good chance he ends up as Josh Freeman, to be quite honest. It's going to be hard to measure that based on stats alone for him this year. He's losing an NFL running back in Hill, a very reliable receiver in Gentry, his starting Center...I mean, that's a lot of talent for a team like Wyoming to lose and try to make up for in a single year, so it's very possible that the stats don't improve. So tape will be super important. 

On tape, I do expect to see him get better. Last year was his first year of college. Andrew Luck completed 56% of his passes his first year as well, so I'm not going to be majorly concerned with it right now, so long as I see improvement this season. 

Nic Shimonek is a senior who will finally get a chance to start and there's a lot of hype about him in Tech circles. He's backed up Davis Webb and Pat Mahomes his entire career here after transferring in from Iowa so I can't really blame him for not seeing the field. 

Anyways, he's now the guy and we'll get to see what he has. 

4 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Forgot about Mayfield, I actually am a fan of his game. By no means a bonafide starter in the NFL but put him on a team with an established, older QB already and I like his chances after sitting and learning. Between the tools he already has and play making ability he has I wouldn't be shocked to see him start eventually. I really like Francois, the toughness and poise he showed last year coupled with his arm talent but I don't really see him coming out next year.

Ill have to look into Mike White, heard the name but haven't watched anything of his. Anyone got a rough scouting report of Riley Ferguson from Memphis?

I'm actually along the lines with your thinking on Allen @CWood21. Kid can make some nice throws and definitely has an arm on him but crumbled against any form of competition and talent, makes terrible decisions at times and is pretty inconsistent. Kind of reminds me of a Christian Hackenburg with too much confidence if that makes sense.

We had this debate last year, so you know where I stand. I will say, I totally understand the Hackenburg reminder. The thing I will say is that I believe Allen has a stronger head, and when he's mobile, he's deadly. The throws he makes on the run are insane sometimes. But Hackenburg developed his problems and then continued to regress and I think that the mental issues were there to stay. Allen was in his first year of college ball last year, so I'm expecting improvement, not regression. The crumbling against competition is a bit unfair...the meltdown against Nebraska was certainly notable, but that's the kind of meltdowon you may have once in your career. I mean, at one point, I think that he threw 4 ints in 5 passes or something like that? Just on statistical probability alone that's very unlikely to ever happen again. For 3 quarters, he played an okay game against Nebraska (and for the record, one of those ints hit his receiver dead in the chest, bounced up and was picked). It was also his first career college road game. Not making excuses for that game, of course, just adding a little context. A similar issue of playing poorly against has plagued other guys recently such as Goff and Browning. But he did play well against Boise, and that was probably the best team he played last year. 

He's got decision making woes that I certainly lament, but I'm hopeful they are from two things - somewhat porous offensive line play last year and just a relative lack of experience. When those two are combined, you get mistakes like the ones he was making where he's throwing the ball across his body way down the middle of the field (the fact that he actually got away with this a couple of times is kind of impressive lol) because he's trying to do too much. Being willing to throw a ball away, or heck, even take a sack because it's actually the right play is something that is developed with experience and maturity in my opinion, and I'm hopeful it can change (though noted, it doesn't always change lol).  The eval is constantly evolving, so it's very possible that by the end of the year he's not looked at as fondly as he is right now, but for the record, I don't really expect that to happen. 

7 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I hate to say it, but keep an eye on Max Browne. There's nothing in his time at USC that tells me that he is an NFL quarterback, but that being said, he has the high "top recruit" pedigree, the size that a lot of teams covet, and he's going to a pro-style program in PItt that just made Nathan Peterman a draftable quarterback. I've compared Browne to Jeff Driskel before, and I still think that it's a comp for the progressions of their  college tenure. Driskel was also a top recruit, flamed out in UF, then had a decent season at LA Tech and he became draftable in the late rounds. Someone will take a chance on Browne. 

Late round guys  could include some others that people may not follow. Chase Litton at Marshall is a guy that could get some love as a developmental prospect if he decides to declare after a good season. He's going into his third season starting, and his first two have been weirdly consistent. Not much to get excited about right now. Maybe Kevin Anderson at Fordham as a another small guy. Brett Rypien out at Boise. 

@Forge we have had this conversation before haha, just getting some more opinions. While we don't see eye to eye on Allen now for his sake and possibly even the sake of our team he improves a lot and shows real well. Always good to have multiple options in the draft to choose from when looking for a franchise QB. 

I remember something about Litton and should be interesting to see if Browne can do anything. I know absolutely nothing about TTUs new QB so I'll look into him and look for him during season. 

Isnt the kid at WVU supposed to be well thought of?

Josh Allen is a young guy who came up from an nontraditional path. Doesn't have a single player that can bail him out with either size or athleticism. On top of that he pushes the ball down the field. He has enough valid  excuses for the time being. He has to improve next year. 

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm hoping he comes out and has a year like Big Ben did in his last year.

That was my comparison for him last year. A lot of people say Flacco, but I see him play and I see a smaller Big Ben. I even advocated that he put on 20 pounds lol. 

Archived