2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Either way the suspension didn't seem like a big deal. He came back in the game against Wyoming when Porter struggled. He could've played earlier but they didn't want to pull Porter because he was playing well up until that point. 

My other concern though with him character-wise was the body language he was showing in the Central Michigan game the other week. He was hanging his head, giving up on plays after throwing interceptions. Wasn't exactly what you like to see overall from a QB.

This is the first game that I've watched Kurt Benkert. I really like what I'm seeing from him against Miami.17 of 18 for 263 and 3TD in the first half. Some nice throws in there too, not just easy completions.

Could he be the next big guy drafted in the mid-late rounds? Or am I just watching the best game of his career?

From what I've seen from this game and quickly looking at some highlights, I'd love for the Chiefs to take him to back up Mahomes (assuming Smith is traded).

Here is a recent survey taken by Dan Jeremiah, a former NFL scout now employed by NFL.com to follow the draft:

One of the best rivalries in college football will be renewed on Saturday when the UCLA Bruins make the trip across town to take on the USC Trojans. This game will feature arguably the top 2 quarterback prospects in the country. This season has produced some ups and downs for Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but they are both still highly regarded in NFL circles.

I reached out to five NFL executives to see which of the two passers they believe will be the better pro player. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Sam Darnold
"Both are talented passers and both are tough. Rosen is tougher than he is given credit for. Sam just has a little more savvy and feel for the position to me. (Darnold has) more ability to make a crazy, improbable kind of play than Josh, while still being a highly skilled passer. (I) like both of them, but I'd take Sam if in position to choose one."

Executive 2: Darnold
"Darnold. He's stronger, he's a better athlete, better mobility and he's a better playmaker with his arm and legs. He has more 'it' factor."

Executive 3: Darnold
"I'll take Darnold. Rosen's likely a better natural talent, but Sam just has that 'it' factor that can be so hard to find and quantify."

Executive 4: Darnold
"I love Darnold. He's got poise, toughness and grit. When it's time to step up and make things happen, he gets it done. The kid's a winner, too. That matters."

Executive 5: Darnold
"They are both going to be good. Rosen is more polished and a finished product now, but I'm a Darnold guy. He (has) 'it'."

Summary: It's a sweep. Darnold received all 5 votes.

Conclusion: It's rare to get a unanimous result with these weekly Ask 5 questions. However, all five of these executives prefer Darnold over Rosen at the moment. I thought it was interesting that three of the executives mentioned the "it" factor. I hear that a lot when discussing Darnold and I agree with their assessment of him. He has a special quality that's hard to define. He's clutch and thrives in chaotic moments. I think Rosen is a more refined passer, but Darnold would get my vote right now.

Pardon the slightly lazy comparison, but Rosen feels a bit like former UCLA QB Hundley to me. Both feel a bit mechanical to me. They are smart, both read the field pretty well but it always looks like Rosen has to think about things instead of it being natural for a guy like Darnold (the "it" factor). I don't think Rosen was as robotic as Hundley was but thats the vibe I get.

22 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Pardon the slightly lazy comparison, but Rosen feels a bit like former UCLA QB Hundley to me. Both feel a bit mechanical to me. They are smart, both read the field pretty well but it always looks like Rosen has to think about things instead of it being natural for a guy like Darnold (the "it" factor). I don't think Rosen was as robotic as Hundley was but thats the vibe I get.

I believe Rosen has the superior arm and far better technique in throwing the ball. We will have to wait to see how his intangibles are viewed, but since he is getting an awful lot of talk about going #2 overall after Darnold, the scouts and GM's must like him a lot.

15 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I believe Rosen has the superior arm and far better technique in throwing the ball. We will have to wait to see how his intangibles are viewed, but since he is getting an awful lot of talk about going #2 overall after Darnold, the scouts and GM's must like him a lot.

Thats fair. I've always been tempered about Darnold and think a lot of people will switch over to Rosen as the better prospect (fairly). Just an observation as to why people seem to be reluctant to go all in on Rosen's prospects. Hype/people reluctant to change their minds is also a factor too.

4 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Thats fair. I've always been tempered about Darnold and think a lot of people will switch over to Rosen as the better prospect (fairly). Just an observation as to why people seem to be reluctant to go all in on Rosen's prospects. Hype/people reluctant to change their minds is also a factor too.

Same could be said about Rosen after his hype filled freshman season. Both are overrated a bit but since the class outside of QB is so weak they'll be pushed up. NoAa a aaAAAQAA way either 

So my personal top 5 favorite QB Rankings are as follows (I don't expect them to go in this order nor do I necessarily think they should, but these are my favorite guys in order)

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Kurt Benkert 

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Rosen

13 hours ago, Counselor said:

So my personal top 5 favorite QB Rankings are as follows (I don't expect them to go in this order nor do I necessarily think they should, but these are my favorite guys in order)

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Kurt Benkert 

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Rosen

You're in trouble, Mr.

I'm a little concerned about Mayfield's routine near disasters. He's a great improviser and scrambler but he's pushing it right to the edge. NFL timing is going to change some of those decisions into trainwrecks. He'll adjust to a degree, I'm sure, but ...idk. I already think he oversells his scrambling ability...at the next level he'll need to play more conservatively. He doesn't have the athleticism of a Manziel or Russell...more like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. He'll need to be even more of a pocket guy but it's not really his mentality.

15 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I'm a little concerned about Mayfield's routine near disasters. He's a great improviser and scrambler but he's pushing it right to the edge. NFL timing is going to change some of those decisions into trainwrecks. He'll adjust to a degree, I'm sure, but ...idk. I already think he oversells his scrambling ability...at the next level he'll need to play more conservatively. He doesn't have the athleticism of a Manziel or Russell...more like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. He'll need to be even more of a pocket guy but it's not really his mentality.

That's my biggest worry with him as well. He just doesn't know how to work the pocket. People think because you can scramble you have pocket presence. Baker just consistently bails on the pocket or doesn't step up into it. It was my biggest concern with Johnny Manziel coming of out Texas A&M. 

10 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Ceilings:

Josh Rosen = better Matt Ryan

Lamar Jackson = Randall Cunningham

Sam Darnold = Matt Stafford

Baker Mayfield = Russell Wilson

Josh Allen could be either Jamarcus Russell or Aaron Rodgers like.

You forgot Jarrett Stidham = Tom Brady

; )

Archived