2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, Abe56 said:

Then I did understand the point, because all the guys I named Hackenberg played with in his final season at Penn St.  And I didnt include guys like Allen Robinson from early in this Penn St. career.  I always said the Hack had no talent around him excuse was false, while Allen legitimately doesn't.  He had a few decent ones last year though.

None of those players had broken out yet, which is why people made the argument that he didn't have surrounding talent in the first place.

Josh Allen played with 4 guys who went to the NFL last year, he had talent around him. And yet, despite playing with 4 NFL players, Wyoming still sucked. If he is as good as he's supposed to be, he would be elevating the play of the players around him.

That's not true Barkley was the man from the 1st time he stepped on the field and Godwin was a 1000 yard receiver with Hackenberg.   You can't really try and argue the supporting cast that Josh Allen currently has is close to what Hackenberg ever had.

And I said he had some good targets last year, but from what I saw yesterday from Iowa, this year is a different story.  And you say elevate the players around him, but for example he should of had a TD pass yesterday, but the WR dropped it wide open in the endzone, whats the QB to do about that?  And i'm not trying to say he played well, he still had a bad game, but between the drops and running for his life, his supporting cast certainly didn't help.  And struggling against a team like Iowa is not exactly embarrassing, Iowa is always a solid to very good team.

And Wyoming didn't suck last year, won 8 games.

I'm pretty positive Allen will bounce back though and have a strong season though.

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Yesterday, the QB prospect that impressed me the most was Mayfield. Darnold is a joke (USC QB hype), Allen i don't even know why he's a top prospect. I want to see Rosen play before claiming Mayfield is the better of all. 

Next week, Mayfield will play against Ohio St and we will see if it's for real. 

Solid analysis box score scout. Bad game for him sure, but littered with drops all over the place and plenty of great throws. 

7 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Josh Allen would be doing backflips to play with Saquon Barkley or Chris Godwin, Mike Gesicki etc

This whole logical fallacy gets overblown way too much.  You're quick to dismiss the supporting cast that is around Josh Allen, but don't acknowledge the fact that he's going against inferior competition in the Mountain West.  At the end of the day, the talent trumps the supporting cast and Allen hasn't done what he has needed to do.  Plain and simple.

6 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I saw the game but i guess he's your relative or something :D

He threw 10 incompletions and at least half were dropped. Of his 23 completions the vast majority were right on-point. But he's a joke  doe. I'm guessing you were waiting all offseason to post that one.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

This whole logical fallacy gets overblown way too much.  You're quick to dismiss the supporting cast that is around Josh Allen, but don't acknowledge the fact that he's going against inferior competition in the Mountain West.  At the end of the day, the talent trumps the supporting cast and Allen hasn't done what he has needed to do.  Plain and simple.

Iowa plays in the Mountain West?

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

Yesterday, the QB prospect that impressed me the most was Mayfield. Darnold is a joke (USC QB hype), Allen i don't even know why he's a top prospect. I want to see Rosen play before claiming Mayfield is the better of all. 

Next week, Mayfield will play against Ohio St and we will see if it's for real. 

Mayfield was certainly impressive, but Darnold it not a joke, and if you don't know why Allen is a top prospect then I don't know what you are looking at. I think even the people who dislike Allen as a prospect would understand the why in why he is a top prospect. This seems like some really poor recency bias analysis for both he and Darnold. 

3 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Iowa plays in the Mountain West?

I may be wrong, but I Think what @CWood21 is alluding to is the fact that Allen supporters (of which I am one) tend to bring up the talent disparity issues when Wyoming plays a team like Iowa or Nebraska, but they never bring it up when Wyoming play a team like UNLV, Nevada or Hawaii in conference, which you can consider as having inferior talent to Wyoming. 

Or he's just saying that the MWC has inferior talent overall than other conferences, so he's cutting his teeth and making his name on the backs of players who aren't nearly as good as the players Rudolph, Mayfield, Darnold and the like are. So the lack of talent around him is offset by the lack of talent he plays, though i don't believe that's applicable in some situations when you're looking at it on a specific game by game basis

So Josh Rosen had a chance to step up, but instead he chose to go 7/18 for 89 passing yards so far. We'll see how he finishes. I haven't been able to read all the previous comments, but Luke Falk certainly stepped up going 33/39 for 311 passing yards and 3 TD's with 0 INT's. He looked good doing it, too, despite the system. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but he is certainly cementing himself as a serious contender to be a top QB this year. He only had 1 incompletion well into the 3rd quarter.

6 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Rosen is getting knocked around big time. The OL is trash. WRs also struggling to separate.

I'm not going to make excuses for a guy who is now 9/23. There have been opportunities. There have been times he could've thrown guys open with some anticipation and didn't. So while I agree it's not the easiest of situations, that excuse only goes so far. This is a poor showing by Rosen as well.

Archived