2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 9/2/2017 at 2:09 PM, BroncoSojia said:

Who advised Josh Allen to comeback to school? All of his weapons from last year are gone and there's little to no talent around him offensively. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Matt Barkley situation.

The fact that Josh Allen put up such a bad game against Iowa actually tells me that Allen got great advice. He needs to improve. I think the NFL Draft community that loved Allen was way overestimating where he'd go. He was a QB with a 56% accuracy on the season with solid talent around him against some weak competition. He's raw with lots to learn. He likely wasn't going in the 1st Round and easily could've fallen deep into the 3rd Round or further.

I also think people look too much at the short-term and not enough at the long-term. Sure, lets say Josh Allen left and got drafted in the 2nd Round, but then what? He's going to be completely unprepared for the NFL, greatly increasing his chances of failure. By staying in college another year, he can be more prepared to try to earn a big contract at some point and actually succeed in the NFL. If he fails to improve in college this year, he can come back as a Senior and try it again. I definitely think Josh Allen made the right choice by going back to school.

On another note, Josh Rosen is finally starting to get things together a little bit against Texas A&M. He just had a nice drive. Hopefully he finishes strong because he has been painful to watch for most of today's game.

EDIT: And Josh Rosen with another nice drive, although this one was basically Texas A&M playing soft and Rosen just checking down over and over. These kinds of drives happen in garbage time. It's still nice to see him put it together and take what is there, though. He does seem to have a lack of awareness of pressure, though. It doesn't matter where the pressure is coming from, he never seems to see or feel it coming.

6 minutes ago, DraftHobbyist said:

The fact that Josh Allen put up such a bad game against Iowa actually tells me that Allen got great advice. He needs to improve. I think the NFL Draft community that loved Allen was way overestimating where he'd go. He was a QB with a 56% accuracy on the season with solid talent around him against some weak competition. He's raw with lots to learn. He likely wasn't going in the 1st Round and easily could've fallen deep into the 3rd Round or further.

I also think people look too much at the short-term and not enough at the long-term. Sure, lets say Josh Allen left and got drafted in the 2nd Round, but then what? He's going to be completely unprepared for the NFL, greatly increasing his chances of failure. By staying in college another year, he can be more prepared to try to earn a big contract at some point and actually succeed in the NFL. If he fails to improve in college this year, he can come back as a Senior and try it again. I definitely think Josh Allen made the right choice by going back to school.

On another note, Josh Rosen is finally starting to get things together a little bit against Texas A&M. He just had a nice drive. Hopefully he finishes strong because he has been painful to watch for most of today's game.

I just don't see how losing all of his weapons and a lineman off an already sub-par oline is going to be good for his development.

So that was a terrible pass by Rosen that Texas A&M figured they redirect to be a perfect pass. lol I like the control of the Offense Rosen has, though. They are going at a perfect pace.

EDIT: Mond looks like a guy that people might be talking about in a few years the way people love those dual threat QB's.

I'm really split on Rosen's late push. I mean, sure, he's scoring a lot of points. He has looked much better than the first half. At the same time, he's basically winning with the same play up the middle or a little checkdown over and over. When he's not doing one of those two, he's taking serious risks that are working out, but are also pretty lucky.

EDIT: That sidearm throw looked very Matt Stafford-esk, though.
EDIT2: He's showing a lot better poise in this 4th Quarter. That has been big.
EDIT3: I know what to think now of Rosen's 2nd Half and it's H0LY SH!T! Now can UCLA hang onto this 1 point lead? 43 seconds to go and Texas A&M only needs a FG.

4 minutes ago, Groink said:

Lol at the people wanting to bury Rosen after a slow start to the first game.  Cool your jets.  It's a long season.

Give me a break. Rosen played a horrible first half and it's okay to call that out. He's lucky Texas A&M had to put their backup QB in, that stalled the Offense, that tired out the Defense, and Texas A&M got away from doing what shut down Rosen in the 1st Half. They played the clock way too early.

Having said that, Rosen played really well in the 2nd Half. It's clear that he's the leader of UCLA because everybody is going up to Rosen. There's going to be no questioning Rosen's leadership through the Draft process.

Archived