2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yes

You're getting caught up in the hype of the comeback. It's okay. I did the same thing after the season finale of Game of Thrones.

There was a decent amount of bad from Rosen in that game. 

Even during the comeback he kinda got lucky at times.

Deep pass for a TD was severely under thrown and should've been picked.

The one where he scrambled out to his left and launched it into the end zone off his back foot was just a prayer hoping for the best.

Fake snap and fade for the game winning score was beautiful and he made other nice throws in that 4th quarter.

Not even trying to knock Rosen, cause I like him and thought it was ridiculous that people were pretty much writing him off as a prospect after the first half of his first game since last October.

45 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You're getting caught up in the hype of the comeback. It's okay. I did the same thing after the season finale of Game of Thrones.

There was a decent amount of bad from Rosen in that game. 

Even during the comeback he kinda got lucky at times.

Deep pass for a TD was severely under thrown and should've been picked.

The one where he scrambled out to his left and launched it into the end zone off his back foot was just a prayer hoping for the best.

Fake snap and fade for the game winning score was beautiful and he made other nice throws in that 4th quarter.

Not even trying to knock Rosen, cause I like him and thought it was ridiculous that people were pretty much writing him off as a prospect after the first half of his first game since last October.

I said the same thing in the 49ers forum. Can't get lost in the comeback - there was some luck and questionable decisions made, particularly on the touchdown pass that made it 44-38. That was just an awful decision and pass. It was a mixed bag on the field, some good, some bad. The biggest positive in this game for Rosen are intangible. He was getting his butt kicked to be honest. Not many guys helping, and he was getting drilled. He kept getting up, never melted in the face of this. Shown some nice fire in helping to mount this comeback, even if there were some fortunate situations. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Or he's just saying that the MWC has inferior talent overall than other conferences, so he's cutting his teeth and making his name on the backs of players who aren't nearly as good as the players Rudolph, Mayfield, Darnold and the like are. So the lack of talent around him is offset by the lack of talent he plays, though i don't believe that's applicable in some situations when you're looking at it on a specific game by game basis

Very much this.  Christian Hackenberg played Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. in their conference, which I think we'd all genuinely agree is significantly superior to the likes of Boise State, Colorado State, etc.  People are so quick to point out Allen's lackluster supporting cast (and probably rightfully so), but they refuse to acknowledge that their playing inferior competition compared to other bigger named QBs.  It's a two-way street.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Allen has had one year.

Andrew luck was  sub 60 completion percentage too his first year

Before someone misinterprets what I saying (and no @Forge I'm not saying you are), I'm in no way writing off Josh Allen.  I'm just saying that I think the talk of Josh Allen as a top-5 pick are being blown incredibly out of proportion at this point.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Before someone misinterprets what I saying (and no @Forge I'm not saying you are), I'm in no way writing off Josh Allen.  I'm just saying that I think the talk of Josh Allen as a top-5 pick are being blown incredibly out of proportion at this point.

Yeah, definitely not. I get what you're saying and I don't even disagree...this is a rare instance where I've been banking on the positives with a prospect much more than focusing on the negatives, which is actually counter to what I usually do.

And Likewise, I'm not saying that Allen is Luck. I just didn't like that comment about the sub 60's completion percentage (obviously, that comment not made by you), because it does lack some context in regards to Allen and Hack (those two specifically) because Allen has started for one year, meanwhile Hack had a complete body of work encompassing 3 years; he simply never got any better throughout his college career. Allen may get better, and may not, but certainly too early to lump him with Hack in that regards to a career completion percentage, though I get the aspects of Allen that would generate that type of comparison (Josh Freeman is also one that I've thrown out from time to time). Truthfully, Allen has that type of floor. He's far away as a prospect, and that's a concern, particularly if he's still making the same dumb mistakes that he was last year, which is what was so concerning about the Iowa game. I would have been perfectly fine with a poor statistical performance based on the fact that I do think Iowa is a far superior team to Wyoming and that was always going to be a struggle, especially on the road. But then he made more dumb decisions with the football that were completely independent of Iowa and his opponent in general (unforced errors, if you will). Those judgement lapses are on him, they aren't caused by the superior talent of his opposition, and that's very concerning if you are an Allen supporter. 

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

If you think Josh Allen should go top 5 then you should also think Riley Ferguson is a lock for #1 overall

He was in my pre-season top 5, and my #2 quarterback, but obviously that was depending on the expected growth of him as a quarterback. If he doesn't show that, then obviously by the end of the year, he won't be in that range. Rankings are fluid (at least they should be) as you obtain more and more information. I expected to see him get better in certain facets with a year of starting under his belt, but we didn't really see that against Iowa. Not writing him off by any means, and I'm still a fan, but obviously he has to earn being a top 5 pick or worthy of that type of selection. I had a second round grade on him last year, which may have been generous, but I don't think out of line, and if doesn't show a ton of growth he'll probably end up with a similar grade. It'd be hard to lower him down a ton for me, because I really love the positives I see. I suppose if he completely bombs that would happen (though I don't expect him to completely bomb), but if that were to occur, I don't think it would be completely out of the realm of possibility that he goes back for his senior year. 

So are we really going to poo poo him being down 34 points with zero momentum, he literally put the team on his back and got the job done despite a few drops and a few penalties against an SEC defense at that. I wasn't even a Rosen fan like that, this cat was locked in, if that isn't a franchise QB, I don't know what is. You guys are funny 

56 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So are we really going to poo poo him being down 34 points with zero momentum, he literally put the team on his back and got the job done despite a few drops and a few penalties against an SEC defense at that. I wasn't even a Rosen fan like that, this cat was locked in, if that isn't a franchise QB, I don't know what is. You guys are funny 

He did have a lot of great plays, but there were also some huge missed chances by that SEC defense, like when a safety didn't pluck an easy pick out of the air, and it instead became a UCLA TD.

Archived