2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, Forge said:

How many of these guys actually receive the coaching that improves their game for the NFL that would make it worth it to go back for another year? 

In Darnold's case he's coached year round by former NFL QB's while in college. So for him, it makes more sense to stay than the average prospect.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

How many of these guys actually receive the coaching that improves their game for the NFL that would make it worth it to go back for another year? 

One of the reasons why I love the idea of the NFL having a development league in conjunction with the current CFB system.

Just now, DraftHobbyist said:

I'd argue most of them. It's not just the coaching, either, it's also the reps.

I definitely wouldn't say most of them. And I think the reps depends on the offense. I don't think someone in Mike Leach's system is really advancing their nfl readiness, for example. 

1 minute ago, CalhounLambeau said:

One of the reasons why I love the idea of the NFL having a development league in conjunction with the current CFB system.

I've never understood why at the very least, a team doesn't have multiple quarterback coaches so that one or two can work specifically with the young guys you're trying to groom. 

Just now, Forge said:

I've never understood why at the very least, a team doesn't have multiple quarterback coaches so that one or two can work specifically with the young guys you're trying to groom. 

NFL fans hate what CFB is producing but out of the other side of their mouth scream "They need to get their education! Declare early so my team can get you! Start him ASAP our starter stinks!"

The system for developing QBs for the NFL is so flawed.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I definitely wouldn't say most of them. And I think the reps depends on the offense. I don't think someone in Mike Leach's system is really advancing their nfl readiness, for example. 

How did a QB become an NFL prospect? It's at least partially due to the coaching. Sure, some guys come in as 5-star recruits and are thought to be on their way to the NFL, but if they don't perform, they won't make the NFL. So that's why I say most coaches have something to teach to QB prospects. Also, Mike Leach's system is a unique system. The average system will teach a lot to a prospect just through reps. I do agree that system matters, though.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

At the end of the day though, these guys still need to get actual game reps to really work through those growing pains as a prospective NFL Starting QB.  Not going to do that on the sidelines going through mental reps, or even working independently with a 2nd QB coach in practice.  You're still limited by NFLPA practice time constraints, and you've still got a team to run.  That means a good chance your developmental QB is going to have to burn some of their allotted practice snaps on non-developmental stuff prepping the rest of the team for the actual game that week.

It's where i think the whole "sit and develop" concept is becoming kind of obsolete in today's NFL landscape.  With the "1st round pick" types talents at least.  There's only so much "developing" a QB is going to do just sitting on the sidelines and working through practice these days.  Sure there are exceptions with extremely raw "upside" guys coming out of wonky systems, and some guys who really do need to sit for part of a season and get those extra mental reps in, learn the system, etc.  And there are the later picks who are pushed down boards due to glaring holes in their skillset or just generally being very raw, who can use that extra time on the sidelines more.  But for the most part...the guys who are going to "get it", typically seem able enough to come in at some point in their first NFL year and do their learning on the job.  It's become entirely feasible to build in a bit of transitional system to help ease them from their college system to the NFL scheme you eventually want them to operate.  They're going to take their lumps...but imo, most guys are going to take those sooner or later anyway.  Not going to work through them on the bench.  Might as well get on with it in a lot of cases.

Makes for a tougher question when asking if a highly-touted guy should go back or not though.  Have to really balance those constraints vs what they're actually going to be able to learn and develop in the system they're going back to, and thus the value of the actual game experience they'll get there.  It seems entirely possible for QBs to make the wrong decision no matter which direction they choose - especially when they don't really know or have control over the situation they might land in if they declare.

The whole process is pretty janky tbh.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

6 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

NFL fans hate what CFB is producing but out of the other side of their mouth scream "They need to get their education! Declare early so my team can get you! Start him ASAP our starter stinks!"

Immediate gratification ftw.

11 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Fans are reactionary, and unfortunately, many teams don't have the courage to do what's right. You know my opinion, but I think if teams were willing to follow through, it would work. It would allow them to develop QBs, but few teams have the courage to do it. KC is a great example of a team with the courage to do what's needed.

Archived