2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I saw a QB name come up early in the year but heard nothing since. I watched a game of his and was impressed.

Silvers. Is he legit?

Meh. He is heading to play in the NFLPA Bowl, only other confirmed one with Brogan Roback of Eastern Michigan.

Silvers will be a 24-year old rookie and shows okay tools but nothing overly impressive in my book. You take out the Texas State game to end the year, and he tossed just 7 TD's to 6 INT's this year. The 'big' opportunities he's had against LSU, Boise State, Clemson, and Ohio (bowl game) have all left a lot to be desired. His arm angle varies a lot and I just don't see much consistency in his play.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:53 PM, Forge said:

It's actually worse than that in my opinion. I can understand if Shanny just absolutely loved Cousins and wanted to draft him even with RG3. But it wasn't just about Cousins - the talk was that they were going to take Russell Wilson with their pick in the 4th round before Seattle took him in the third, which resulted in Washington taking Cousins instead. So they were taking a quarterback regardless there - even though they had just given up all that capital to take RG3. That should say more than enough about how the Shanahans felt about Rg3 overall. 

Scot McGloughan also talks about it on his interview with Adam Schefter on his podcast. I believe that he was with Seattle at the time

That sounds like GMs trying make themselves look better about their mistakes. Like some of the GMs that say they had Tom Brady as 3rd round grade

4 hours ago, Classic said:

That sounds like GMs trying make themselves look better about their mistakes. Like some of the GMs that say they had Tom Brady as 3rd round grade

Typically, i view things like that with skepticism as well, but doesn't sound like it here. Don't think there's a reason to. But water under the bridge at this point

I've got this feeling about Kurt Benkert. I haven't watched anything except for the Miami game, but he looks like a first round to me and maybe a high first rounder. He reminds me of Carson Wentz in terms of his perception before the draft and meteoric rise thereafter. He might end up being my #2 overall quarterback when it's all said and done.

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I've got this feeling about Kurt Benkert. I haven't watched anything except for the Miami game, but he looks like a first round to me and maybe a high first rounder. He reminds me of Carson Wentz in terms of his perception before the draft and meteoric rise thereafter. He might end up being my #2 overall quarterback when it's all said and done.

Welcome to my side. He is my number 2. I posted it back in this thread last week.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:50 PM, Counselor said:

So my personal top 5 favorite QB Rankings are as follows (I don't expect them to go in this order nor do I necessarily think they should, but these are my favorite guys in order)

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Kurt Benkert 

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Rosen

Here it is

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Here it is

I'd have Darnold #1, Benkert potentially #2 (can't say definitively without seeing more), Mayfield #3, Jackson #4, and Rosen #5. I assume the NFL will like him a lot too. He has all the traits (height, arm, athleticism) teams seem to look for.

23 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Welcome to my side. He is my number 2. I posted it back in this thread last week.

Good call here, he might be legit. 

no way I see him rising to be QB2 though. had some bad games against trash Lousville, Boston College, and a good VaTech team.  Senior Bowl will be a big showcase for him

IMO,  this is the best draft class for QB's for the past decade, at least 4 will go round 1 for sure with 2 others quite possibly getting into round 1 as well.

From studing all the QB's being mentioned, the top 5 stand as:

Darnold. USC                             Head and shoulders above this field with a huge upside

Rosen, UCLA                              Picture perfect form, but seems to lack the 'it' factor, Of course, maybe it was just coaching?

Jackson, Louisville                 Second coming of Michael Vick, but a more accurate passer with touch, however, lacks the lower body which could make him susceptible to injuries?

Mayfield, Oklahoma               Has it all except height and a few questions about maturity?

Rudolph, Oklahoma St.         His HC has never produced a pro QB even though they all put up great #'s in college, so I would not touch him with a ten foot pole?

with Stidham, Auburn at #6. Really on the rise after missing all of last season. IMO, he should be # 5 at worst.

Followed closely by:

Drew Lock, Missouri              Put up huge #'s this season with around 42 TD passes.

Riley Ferguson, Memphis   Took Memphis to new heights

Trace McSorley, Penn St.    Tower of strength for Penn St.

Kurt Benkert, Virginia           Played on a weak team but was impressive at times, but inconsistent in other games.

What makes this crop so interesting is, Lamar Jackson, if he had a solid lower body, might well stand at #1 overall and if Mayfield was 3 or 4 inches taller, he might also rank #1 among this field. Either way, an awful lot of pro teams, that are desperate to find a franchise QB, will absolutely love this draft. 3 QB's are very likely to go top 10 and Mayfield could go top 15, with Rudolph and Stidham going somewhere towards the end of round 1.

Along with Newton, Luck(if he is healthy), Carr, Mariota, Winston, Garoppolo, Goff, Wentz and Watson, a whole new generation of QB's have or will enter the NFL and become the future stars of tomorrow.

The next 2 or 3 seasons will see some rise to take Brady, Peyton, Roethlisberger and Brees' place among the NFL leaders of the future. Should prove to be interesting!!!

Benkert is legit, but he won't go in the 1st round. Probably won't go in the 2nd round either. He was pretty inconsistent and will not wow anyone in shorts. I think he ends up being a Kirk Cousins type starter. They have similar skill sets and mental makeup. Benkert carried a Virginia team that was devoid of NFL talent on offense. Sure the Miami game was his coming out party, but he was awesome in other games this season and had some masterpieces a year ago as well.

I am not a great QB evaluator, but I see the QB's like this right now:

1. Sam Darnold--Top 5 Talent (Elite measurables and great mental makeup)

2. Baker Mayfield--Top 5 Talent (If he was a few inches taller, he's QB #1 and it's not close)

3. Josh Rosen--Top 5 Talent (I'm not worried about the off-field stuff. High ceiling, but not as high as Darnold or Jackson)

4. Lamar Jackson--Top 5 Talent (A fascinating piece of clay to work with. Has refined his game this season)

5. Kurt Benkert--Late 1st Talent (This is a "hot take", so I doubt he actually goes late 1st. Accurate, smart, tough, sufficient arm talent and mobility)

I forgot about Stidham. I haven't really studied him yet, but I've caught 3 Auburn games this year. I like this dude. He seems like he has all the tools and he's pretty accurate. Not easy to armchair scout though. He gets a lot of really easy throws and if you're stat watching, it will cloud your judgment. He plays in an offense that has zero translatability to the NFL which is a concern. Even Lamar Jackson's scheme has more NFL passing concepts than Auburns.

Kurt Benkert 1st round? Wow. The second half against Miami, the Cavs scored once and he was miserable against Virginia Tech. I thought Virginia's big first half against Miami was pretty fluky as well, as most of those touchdowns just came from botched assignments or plays by the Hurricanes defense, not Benkert doing anything remarkable as what seems to be the narrative.

I just don't see it with Benkert. I think he could be an okay backup someday. Nothing about his game stands out to me. Very Christian Ponder-esque and we saw how that worked out for the Vikings (let's also not forget he got cut before 2015 so the Broncos could keep Brock Osweiler and Trevor Siemian)...

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Benkert is legit, but he won't go in the 1st round.

He's got a little bit of everything, I wonder if he's still got room to grow or he'll always be a guy whose just got a little bit of everything. 

3 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I just don't see it with Benkert. I think he could be an okay backup someday. Nothing about his game stands out to me. Very Christian Ponder-esque and we saw how that worked out for the Vikings (let's also not forget he got cut before 2015 so the Broncos could keep Brock Osweiler and Trevor Siemian)...

The bolded only makes sense if you accept the premise that Benkert is like Ponder.

I still have to watch more of him before I really pass judgement. I tend to be all over the place with quarterbacks before I settle on a conclusion. I'm fairly certain Darnold is #1 but it's a crapshoot after that.

Archived