2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

I'm not going to be able to get these write ups in time for the opening match tomorrow but I should be able to get them up before the games for each group. 

Here is who I have advancing from the groups:

Group E:

Brazil winner, Costa Rica as runners up. I think all three sides after Brazil have a chance to finish second and advance. I think Costa Rica has the most defined style and most settled squad and that gets them in over the other two.

Group F:

Germany winner and Mexico in second. Germany might be the best team in the tournament and Mexico have the talent and flexibility to see off Sweden and South Korea who are pretty poor sides and don't have offer much attacking threat. 

Brazil will certainly be top of their group, but any side below them can get 2nd.  I am picking the Swiss because I think their structure is an advantage to them in a tournament.  Think they are a tough side to break down.

Germany will win their group.  Would not count out any of the other 3 for 2nd.  My gut is saying South Korea right now, though I am not that convinced.

2 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Brazil will certainly be top of their group, but any side below them can get 2nd.  I am picking the Swiss because I think their structure is an advantage to them in a tournament.  Think they are a tough side to break down.

Germany will win their group.  Would not count out any of the other 3 for 2nd.  My gut is saying South Korea right now, though I am not that convinced.

I picked Costa Rica but the Swiss would definitely be my other choice. This tournament is so much about being a true team and having a real identity that the team knows and is accustomed to. Serbia is probably the second most talented team in the group but I think they finish fourth, they're more of a team of individuals whereas Switzerland and Costa Rica know how they want to play and are a team that are stronger than the sum of their parts. 

I'm really down on South Korea, I think they finish fourth in the group. They were bad in qualifying and I think they mirror Australia quite a bit. I think this is the worst South Korea side in quite a long time. Son is obviously a great player but the rest of the side is quite poor. 

Brazil and Switzerland in Group E, although I do agree that the other two have a good chance of progressing also

I'd be pretty surprised if Germany and Mexico aren't the ones to make it to the knockout rounds from Group F

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Brazil and Switzerland in Group E, although I do agree that the other two have a good chance of progressing also

I'd be pretty surprised if Germany and Mexico aren't the ones to make it to the knockout rounds from Group F

The only thing I think could be a deciding factor is the Sweden vs Mexico game. Sweden has the potential to really abuse Mexico on set pieces. I think Sweden can get four points and that just might be enough. 

14 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Switzerland looked awful against N Ireland. So turgid. But to judge on one performance is folly. I really want Serbia to progress, because they've got some decent and fun players. Brazil will walk it.

Yeah they were bad going forward but they're good at the back and keep a good shape and I think that is pretty key to advancing. I dont necessarily think the Swiss advance but I think it's something that gives them and Costa Rica an edge although Costa Rica have had a pretty terrible run up to the World Cup. 

Not to mention they've got to try and defend against my main dude Mitro.

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

giphy.gif

I want two in a row

(I say "I" like I'm part of the team or care about international soccer anytime outside of the World Cup)

Too bad nothing will feel quite so sweet as that 7-1 last go around. The schadenfreude was flowing.

Archived