2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

The 2017 and 2018 classes might just bring running the football back (especially with the talented HBs who came out in 2015 and 2016). This class looks stacked: Barkley, Guice, Love, Freeman, Gaskins, Chubb, Penny, Adams, Kelly, Nall, Jones, etc.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

The 2017 and 2018 classes might just bring running the football back (especially with the talented HBs who came out in 2015 and 2016). This class looks stacked: Barkley, Guice, Love, Freeman, Gaskins, Chubb, Penny, Adams, Kelly, Nall, Jones, etc.

And 2019 even already looking good with Johnson, Carr, and Swift

Really got to admit. Barkley looks every bit as good as advertised.  Only real knocks I can find on him. Is that seems to want to bounce it outside as soon as he gets the ball, seems to look a bit uncomfortable running inside. And his style of running is a bit wild, I wonder if that is going to make him more susceptible to injuries?

Only thing, I can see Zeke has the advantage in is inside running and blocking. But Barkley the more I see him, the more I am starting to think he is a slightly better overall prospect then Zeke. And that is really saying something.

Penn State has had trouble inside blocking during Barkley's entire career, so that's probably where some of that comes from.

His own blocking has really improved, too.  He's still not great at it, but it's definitely improving.  He stood up Josey Jewell on a blitz on Penn State's game winning play on Saturday.

Disagree with Guice being better than Fournette. Fournette's speed and power are unmatched. 

Barkley is probably better than Fournette.

I have the RB's since 2007 rated like this without bias:

#1--Adrian Peterson/RB/Oklahoma

#2--Saquon Barkley/RB/Penn State

#3--Leonard Fournette/RB/LSU

#4--Todd Gurley/RB/Georgia

#5--Ezekiel Elliot/RB/Ohio State

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disagree with Guice being better than Fournette. Fournette's speed and power are unmatched. 

1.  Barkley - Looks like the total package to me, with the best combination of size and athleticism, combined with a versatile skillset.  He did get ~30 yards given to him that he shouldn't have in that Iowa game.  Might've been the difference in the game.  He was clearly down on that long run on the drive that set up their 2nd TD.  Still a monster game though.

2.  McCaffrey - more of a receiving back, but he can run too - all depends on a system.....if used like Marshall Faulk and if he stays healthy, that's what he'll be.  A HOFer, like Marshall Faulk.

3.  Le'Veon Bell - from his 2nd year on.  If talking coming out in the draft, definitely not on the list of course, because he reinvented himself.  He was the gold standard in the NFL though the last 2 years.  This is just talent....if factoring in off-field issues he's off the list completely.  I don't remember any character red flags on draft day though.  

4.  David Johnson - I like receiving backs in case you can't tell....it's a passing league and backs that can do it all are what I want.  For value, he's the best on this list by far, since he was by far the latest pick.  I thought the Vikings should've drafted him to replace Adrian back then.  

5.  Elliott - just going off of talent - more of an Emmett Smith type IMO.  Runs well inside, has power to break tackles, but he's faster and I believe bigger as well.

6.  Peterson - way too one dimensional and fumbles too much, but he was an explosive runner-only even if it was only with the QB under center - no way I'd take him over Barkley, McCaffrey or Zeke

HM.  Gurley/Fournette

17 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Darren McFadden
Knowshon Moreno
CJ Spiller
Ryan Matthews
Trent Richardson
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon
Ezekiel Elliot
Leonard Fournette
Christian McCaffery
SaQuon Barkley
Derius Guice

All RB's taken in the first half of the first round since 2007 (and two top prospects for this upcoming draft) This is how I viewed them at the time of the draft.

1. Adrian Peterson
2. SaQuon Barkley

3. Darren McFadden
4. Leonard Fournette
5. Todd Gurley

6. Knowshon Moreno
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Ezekiel Elliot

9. CJ Spiller
10. Christian McCaffery
11. Derius Guice
12. Ryan Matthews

13. Trent Richardon
14. Melvin Gordon

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I would have it like this if I had to right now, but the season is not over for Barkley of course, since 1998.

Saquon Barkley 
Adrian Peterson 
Ricky Williams 
Reggie Bush 
Ezekiel Elliott 
Darren McFadden 
Todd Gurley 
LaDainian Tomlinson 
Steven Jackson 
Deuce McAllister

I would not include Fournette into a top 10 list all time for me, he came in limping to the NFL literally with not a great showing late in his career and injury history.  Just something sour about how he ended his career I felt and he was taken down a peg, not to mention what little he did against Alabama those last two years.  Fournette really never played great against a great defense like Barkley did this past weekend in a big time national Televised game.  Barkley if he can stay healthy and keep on his current pace is ahead of them all I feel potentially, will see if he keeps it going all year long.  Way more healthy than Peterson ever was in college so far.  Much better pass catcher and physically he has the speed and the power, super rare prospect and a potential all time great.  

Also could argue Barkley's OL is not that great and has not been the entire time he has been on Penn State, at times get hype but really are not that special outside of one maybe two lineman.  They have not had great blocking tight ends either and especially no HB or FB type that is more traditional to help block.  In a more pro style offense he could maybe do much better as a running back potentially.  Sure he bounces it outside a lot but most is because there is few blocking or holes inside so he has to make his own holes and run over or by people out in the open.  

The kid has been wildly impressive this year I think.  And as a two way talent, few backs can catch the ball like he does and still run with power and have that great strength plus speed.

Archived