2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

3 RB's in the 1st? I think it's likely we see only 1 taken in the 1st. Guice is good, but he should be there in the 2nd. Ronald Jones/Sony Michael/Nick Chubb have no shot of going in the 1st.

While I agree that a few will not be 1st rounders, only Chubb is guaranteed to last till round 2, Guice will go late round 1 and both Jones and Sony has a shot at round 1 as well, although they both could last till early round 2???

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

What do you guys think of Akron Wadley? Feel like he’s gonna be a steal.

I gave Akrum Wadley the same grade as Rashaad Penny, at 6.58 (on my scale thing, that's "good chance to become a solid starter"). I think Wadley has good short-area burst, but what really pops on tape is his acceleration. He can go from zero to top speed in an instant. Overall, he's an explosive runner if he can hit a hole and get into the open field, but I'd be a bit worried about a few things. From what I saw, he's extremely easily tackled, and has lacking strength and ability on inside runs. I'd draft him in the middle rounds because he's a special athlete, but I think he needs a good offensive system to give him the space to race away from defenders instead of having to take them on. I don't think he's a guy you'd give the load to, but in five years this assessment could be spot on or absolute trash. I think he'll go later than he should because he's so small, but his start-and-stop acceleration alone makes him worth drafting. 

Wadley's weird to me, but I really like him still. He's got great wiggle and the ability to run between the tackles without having great size. Not really a burner, but just a really good tough runner with a very well-rounded skill set. He's not big, not powerful, and not overly explosive. I usually don't like RB's like that, but he has unreal slipperiness and vision. I think he's going to be a very good RB for someone.

13 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Wait Belichick actually said that lol?

Yeah, back in like 2010. They apparently have a long standing beef. Pretty hilarious.

Any love for D Williams from LSU? Only player in LSU history to go 100/100 yards rushing/receiving in the same game. He's a big bruiser, and lacks long speed and subtlety, but I could see him getting short yardage snaps and catching some passes. Might not be drafted, but he could be a solid contributor.

3 hours ago, mitch_connor said:

Anyone heard anything about the state of Ronald Jones' hamstring? His pro day could have some effect on where he stands in this RB class.

Rained today the deck will be stacked to show better short area quickness and burst than the guys like Penny and Ballage (latter who I’d still probably rank well below the top 5).   

I’d be shocked if he was the 3rd RB like many ranks had him pre-Combine.  The JC comps were really lazy it’s a discredit to how special JC’s skill set was.

• 2 weeks later...

How badly does Michel's 40 time hurt him? I think anyone that knows football sees he's not a 4.58 on the field. He's FASTER. Seems like a case of one of those players that don't test well, but when the pads come on, just naturally balls...

On 3/16/2018 at 5:41 PM, BleedTheClock said:

3 RB's in the 1st? I think it's likely we see only 1 taken in the 1st. Guice is good, but he should be there in the 2nd. Ronald Jones/Sony Michael/Nick Chubb have no shot of going in the 1st.

Guice is not making it out of the 1st...barring some unknown injury or character concern. He's beast mode v.2. 11-20 is his range imo.

Any thoughts on Justin Stockton from Texas Tech? Seems like an ideal third down back when I watch him. Good balance, nice hands, works for positive yards. Nothing flashy, but seems like a reliable pass catching outlet. Haven't heard any buzz about him at all, however.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, Kip Smithers said:

What do you guys think of Akron Wadley? Feel like he’s gonna be a steal.

Steal in what capacity? He's never going to be an every down back. He's at best a rotational back with good pass catching ability. 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, Nex_Gen said:

How badly does Michel's 40 time hurt him? I think anyone that knows football sees he's not a 4.58 on the field. He's FASTER. Seems like a case of one of those players that don't test well, but when the pads come on, just naturally balls...

He is definitely faster than that. Hopefully it causes him to fall to 3.71 baby baby

Archived