Jump to content
The LBC

Raiders Fear Suspension for WR Martavis Bryant

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What does where he play have anything to do with his individual skillset, just wondering?

Its hard to showcase skills if your QB sucks. Like catch radius is great but 5 ft over your head or into the ground doesnt help. Just saying he wasnt exactly in the best place to thrive and yet he did momentarily 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its hard to showcase skills if your QB sucks. Like catch radius is great but 5 ft over your head or into the ground doesnt help. Just saying he wasnt exactly in the best place to thrive and yet he did momentarily 

Well wouldn't that be a greater testament to his skills despite him not having great QB play? As a matter of fact, if you are a Jaguar fan, you saw yourself, those passes seem to go straight to his hands without much adjustment now that I remember, not saying Brandon Weeden was good but not exactly 5 years over his head or in the ground.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well wouldn't that be a greater testament to his skills despite him not having great QB play? As a matter of fact, if you are a Jaguar fan, you saw yourself, those passes seem to go straight to his hands without much adjustment now that I remember, not saying Brandon Weeden was good but not exactly 5 years over his head or in the ground.

 

Well, if NFL Comparisons has taught me anything it's that the only way to make the case that player A is better than player B is to denigrate player A's supporting cast as much as possible.  This is doubly true of QBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

They knew the risks when they were considering trading for him, and they still did it. Can't really feel sorry for the Raiders.

Quite the opposite. I’m laughing at them right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested to know when the alleged infraction occurred.  Pre- or post-trade?  If pre, is this something that the Steelers would have known about?  If so, do they have a duty to disclose (as only the current team would be privy to behind-the-scenes appeals)?  This would be moot if it's post, of course.  Also moot if this is just unsubstantiated bluster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's crazy that OAK would be praying it's a PED - IIRC they are treated differently.

I believe that's only for the first failed test: if not PED, player enters substance abuse diversion program (privately, not announced); if PED, player immediately gets four game suspension (equivalent to second non-PED offense)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I'd be interested to know when the alleged infraction occurred.  Pre- or post-trade?  If pre, is this something that the Steelers would have known about?  If so, do they have a duty to disclose (as only the current team would be privy to behind-the-scenes appeals)?  This would be moot if it's post, of course.  Also moot if this is just unsubstantiated bluster.

According to the NFL's 2016 policy, players have 5 days to appeal upon notification.   Then the NFL has until the 4th Tuesday after appeal is issued to hold an appeal hearing.   It's only until after that hearing that an official announcement can be made.

So, doing the calendar math backwards, it seems like the failed test / failure to show up (which counts as a failed test) would have had to happen in the last 5-6 weeks (I'm giving another week if the appeal has happened, no idea how long it takes to rule).    It's not perfect, because we don't know how long the appeal takes to rule, but it seems like this happened after the trade.    

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woz said:

I believe that's only for the first failed test: if not PED, player enters substance abuse diversion program (privately, not announced); if PED, player immediately gets four game suspension (equivalent to second non-PED offense)

Yeah, the PED section is different, it doesn't specifically state what happens in this case.  It would make sense that it just adds to the program...but there hasn't been a  case I can recall where a guy has a year due to substance abuse and then switches up to PED's.    Would be interesting to see how it works.   We know conduct and PED's are separate, but perhaps substances of abuse and PED's would still be linked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broncofan said:

Yeah, the PED section is different, it doesn't specifically state what happens in this case.  It would make sense that it just adds to the program...but there hasn't been a  case I can recall where a guy has a year due to substance abuse and then switches up to PED's.    Would be interesting to see how it works.   We know conduct and PED's are separate, but perhaps substances of abuse and PED's would still be linked.

I believe it would be treated as another failure based on where the player is in the path. Given that this is a PED failure, I could see the "indefinite" ban coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Woz said:

I believe it would be treated as another failure based on where the player is in the path. Given that this is a PED failure, I could see the "indefinite" ban coming.

I think it's moot regardless since I bet it's a substance of abuse (weed again).   But yeah, it would be hard to see treating weed/PED as separate, vs. personal conduct / PED being treated separately as we saw with Burfict (then again, who knows, it's common sense to us but CBA's aren't always about common sense.... but either way, I think it's a moot point).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Quite the opposite. I’m laughing at them right now. 

as everyone should be. to trade a third rounder for a guy with bryants off field history, his diva like antics, inconsistencies on the field and only one year remaining on his deal was absolutely moronic and many of us said it at the time of the trade. and now it blows up in their face not even two months later..can't do nothing but laugh.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

as everyone should be. to trade a third rounder for a guy with bryants off field history, his diva like antics, inconsistencies on the field and only one year remaining on his deal was absolutely moronic and many of us said it at the time of the trade. and now it blows up in their face not even two months later..can't do nothing but laugh.

I thought the moron MAY have learned because he talked about how his mom cried in front of him after his last suspension and he claimed it hit him hard.    

At the very least, I thought he could at least get through this year and get the lucrative, long term extension he CLAIMED he deserved.  Now, I doubt he ever gets more than a one or two year deal....if any.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

as everyone should be. to trade a third rounder for a guy with bryants off field history, his diva like antics, inconsistencies on the field and only one year remaining on his deal was absolutely moronic and many of us said it at the time of the trade. and now it blows up in their face not even two months later..can't do nothing but laugh.

Maybe they can trade him for Randy Moss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Josh Gordon 2.0. What could have been if they had any ounce of self control . 

 

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Josh Gordon is and will likely always be a better WR despite playing for Cleveland. 

The real Q if this story is true - is Bryant a better car salesman than Gordon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

 

The real Q if this story is true - is Bryant a better car salesman than Gordon? 

I wonder if we could have traded for Gordon with the wasted third round pick.  I would much rather have him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×