Raiders Fear Suspension for WR Martavis Bryant

Dr LBC

3 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

we'll give you Perriman. btw: thats the deal with taking risks on a player with history. backfired this time, but can you really blame them. a 3rd for a guy his talent? i mean he must be dumb a a brick to risk all that moneybut... YOLO (?)

He was a 4th round pick though... Steelers got more compensation than they used to bring him in the first place.

I get he's outplayed his draft slot, but the off-field issues should cancel that out.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:48 PM, August4th said:

not surprising if this is true... seeing how he acted last yr made me think he has some real self-esteem issues so he uses marijuana to cope with it

oh well 

Lol no.  He loves the ganja...

This was really dumb of Bryant if true, but at the same time, the league really needs to rethink its substance abuse policy. It's outdated. It should no longer be considered substance abuse just because you test positive for marijuana. There should be added circumstances in order to warrant discipline, like there is with alcohol.

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

This was really dumb of Bryant if true, but at the same time, the league really needs to rethink its substance abuse policy. It's outdated. It should no longer be considered substance abuse just because you test positive for marijuana. There should be added circumstances in order to warrant discipline, like there is with alcohol.

They have already become more lenient on Marijuana.  While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I think it's somewhat misguided to badger the NFL on this point as it is still illegal per US federal law (alcohol obviously is not).  I guess they could exclude it from their testing, but then you start to get into issues around how you pick and choose what's allowed/not allowed.

The takeaway from this saga is how someone with potential can self-destruct, and we've seen it outside the sports world as well. No matter how many chances, or how many people are rooting for them to succeed, mistakes will eventually squander that potential. Claiming ownership and responsibility for past actions is the first step for better decision-making. Older Raiders fans will remember the name of Warren Wells. Wells was a far more accomplished receiver than Bryant, but went off the rails at age 27 or 28, destroying his career in the process. 

On 6/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, sp6488 said:

They have already become more lenient on Marijuana.  While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I think it's somewhat misguided to badger the NFL on this point as it is still illegal per US federal law (alcohol obviously is not).  I guess they could exclude it from their testing, but then you start to get into issues around how you pick and choose what's allowed/not allowed.

This. When/If Marijuana becomes legal in all 50 states only then should the NFL revisit it's Policy. This in no way is the same as alcohol which too has it's issues of abuse in the league. Players (Smart ones) understand the rules, the risks and the consequences of there actions to their financial careers if caught. 

I have no sympathy for those stupid enough to squander away what's already on average a short playing career.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:08 AM, sp6488 said:

Ultimately it's just easier from their perspective to leave the rules as is. They certainly could remove marijuana from their testing or from the substance abuse policy, but it would likely still be a little complicated what with it remaining illegal in much of the country, and it would definitely be seen as taking a stance on the issue publicly, which the NFL tries (and normally fails) to avoid. Adjusting the policy makes them appear pro-legalization, which would again cause issues with segments of the league's fan base, so it's easier just to stand pat.

And at the end of the day, every player knows this kind of rule well before they even get to the league. Without getting into my or anyone's opinion on the drug or the rule's validity, it's kind of hard to feel too bad for them because they know about it.

Archived