Key Camp Battles

theJ

What are the key camp battles in your mind that could decide the season?  It could be two guys fighting for #1/2 roles, or roster bubble spots.

I think the RB position is obvious.  

The CB spot is going to be a big battle for the #3 spot.  Jones and Dre seem to have the #1/2 spot locked up.  But Jackson and Dennard both have 1st round pedigrees, and Josh Shaw has actually shown something in games.  Lots of depth there.

The one i'm going to watch with most interest though is the WR battle.  Two more drafted to add to a room that was young last year and came on at the end of the year.  What happens to Cody Core?  Does Erickson have a #6 spot locked or will they go some true WR potential there and try to figure something out at PR?

Green/Boyd/Ross are locks

Lafell/Malone are probably safe?

Core/Erickson seem to be bottom of roster, but both have shown enough to make it.  But we know they won't keep 6.  So who makes it?

What spots are you watching during camp?

I still maintain that there's a chance, probably somewhere around 20%, that they cut Lafell if the other 6 are healthy.  It's hard to imagine that they'll want to cut Core, who showed some big time promise as a 6th round draft pick last year.  And it's hard to cut Erickson without a clear cut PR/KR in the wings.  I don't count Ross, who isn't a good long term answer there.  Nor do i count Brandon Wilson who is probably a longer shot to make the roster than Erickson (he's been hurt all summer already).

It's hard to imagine that Malone is going to be cut since he was drafted so high.

I know it would probably mean that Lafell gets scooped by another team.  But i imagine that just about anyone that gets cut will be scooped.

Which leads me to my next thought - probably this all moot because someone is going to get hurt and go on PUP or IR for a hang nail so they don't have to make this decision.  And by someone i mean Core or Malone.

How's the RB situation looking to shape up? I have Hill in one of my dynasty leagues, so I'm looking to see whether he is still going to be able to be a viable flex for me or if I need to turn elsewhere.

Also drafted Ross in the same league, so is he expected to come in as the #2, or is that going to be a long term build towards that?

@iPwn

IMO i think Hill has a small chance to be a camp cut.  Not likely, but there's a chance.  If Mixon proves to be worth his draft pick, and Bernard comes back healthy (and all reports state he's on track), it's hard to imagine Hill stays on.  He doesn't play ST's and has been pretty bad the last few years.

Most likely what's going to happen is the team takes the cautious route and PUPs Bernard even if he's healthy to give Hill one more shot.  Of course he's going to suck behind this atrocious line, and Mixon will get his shot.

If your rosters are deep and keeping Hill costs you very little, you may as well keep him.  He's still a threat for a few TD's.  But if he costs you too much or your rosters are shallower, you can do much better.

As for Ross, i doubt he comes in as the #2.  But it's hard to know for sure because he couldn't participate in any of the mini-camps (injury and late graduation).  Usually the Bengals ease their rookies in, and i think this will be a similar situation.  Lafell played well as the #2 last year and will for sure start over Ross if he makes the team.  If Lafell doesn't make it, Ross has a good chance to start as the #2 outside receiver i would think.  But that's very murky at this point.

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I'm excited to watch the D-line compete for playing time. 

Like J said the CB/WR spot is gonna be fierce competition. 

I also have this feeling Elliot does not win the kicking battle

Yeah the D-line is a good one too.  With Peko gone, Willis, Lawson, Glasgow in the fold, plus Hardison and Billings coming back from injury - going to be a different looking line for sure.

I'll be sad if Elliot doesn't win it.  His draft status probably gives him a better than even shot, but we'll have to see.

9 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I could see Elliot losing, but catching on elsewhere and me being mad about it.

IMO, he's going to have to royally suck to get cut.  Or get hurt and go on IR.

Teams don't spend a pick on a kicker just to let them go.  Especially that high of a pick.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, theJ said:

The one i'm going to watch with most interest though is the WR battle.  Two more drafted to add to a room that was young last year and came on at the end of the year.  What happens to Cody Core?  Does Erickson have a #6 spot locked or will they go some true WR potential there and try to figure something out at PR?

Green/Boyd/Ross are locks

Lafell/Malone are probably safe?

Core/Erickson seem to be bottom of roster, but both have shown enough to make it.  But we know they won't keep 6.  So who makes it?

Wait, are you saying we won't even keep six?  Because they have publicly stated they intend to find a way to keep all seven.

If they don't keep all seven, I believe that they will put a guy like Malone on IR for something trivial, like a hung toenail, but say he had the worst case of turf toe in league history.  Evbbery other WR provides something that no other one does.  Core plays enough special teams that if Wilson shows well enough, I could see the team switching him to being listed and replace the Running Reverend.  No one player can replace what Peerman brings overall, but a few players could replace him in various roles to open up a roster spot for a younger guy with long term upside.  But we all know that would be such an un-Marvin thing to do.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Wait, are you saying we won't even keep six?  Because they have publicly stated they intend to find a way to keep all seven.

I meant to say 7.  It's going to be hard to keep 7. 

Simply keeping two QBs allows the team to keep the 7th WR.  I also think the d-line battle will be epic.  

Individually, I want to see Dawson play like his life depends on it.  I know I pretty much stand alone with him, but if he could bring the instincts with a more disciplined approach, a LB corp of Burfict/Minter/Vigil/Dawson/Lawson?Rey could be among the best ever for the franchise.

9 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Individually, I want to see Dawson play like his life depends on it.  I know I pretty much stand alone with him, but if he could bring the instincts with a more disciplined approach, a LB corp of Burfict/Minter/Vigil/Dawson/Lawson?Rey could be among the best ever for the franchise.

I'd like for him to succeed too.  The coaching staff also seems to want it too, but so far no dice.  Hopefully something clicked over the offseason.

The one thing that I'm not sure about is how many DL players are they actually going to keep? I mean, there's lots of players looking for a spot, but there's a good possibility they only end up going with just 8 guys, which I think could be a mistake. But that's only because they may have to go with 10 OL players.

Archived