Key Camp Battles

theJ

13 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

The problem is Shaw is a mediocre player at best. Dennard has been a major disappointment, but his ceiling is still much higher, and the Bengals have to give him one more chance to prove he can be the man to replace Adam Jones. I honestly don't really see a battle on who will start in place for Jones, I've already penciled in Dennard. Jackson on the other hand because he's behind on the learning curve, will have to battle Shaw to be the nickel for week 1.

I'll see your Shaw and Dennard and raise you Jackson III.

he is probably the top athlete on defense right now.  Given time, the spot will be his.  But there's the rub....Marvin gives them three years  :|

17 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

The problem is Shaw is a mediocre player at best. Dennard has been a major disappointment, but his ceiling is still much higher, and the Bengals have to give him one more chance to prove he can be the man to replace Adam Jones. I honestly don't really see a battle on who will start in place for Jones, I've already penciled in Dennard. Jackson on the other hand because he's behind on the learning curve, will have to battle Shaw to be the nickel for week 1.

Josh Shaw is in his third year and has been pretty good so far.  Maybe mediocre is the correct term, but compared to Dennard and Jackson he's proven much more in this league.  

I think they'll give Dennard every opportunity at that spot during training camp and the preseason games.  But if Shaw or Jackson play better, i wouldn't expect him to start week 1.  The coaches play favorites, but only after they've proven it on the field.  Disappointing players aren't usually given jobs unless there's no competition.  And that does not describe the CB position on this team.

EDIT: BTW, i think Dennard will prove out to the best CB for the job week 1 if he stays healthy.  He was on his way to winning the #3 job last year until he got hurt.  Then he couldn't unseat Shaw.  Just playing devils advocate.

Archived