Key Camp Battles

theJ

16 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

The one thing that I'm not sure about is how many DL players are they actually going to keep? I mean, there's lots of players looking for a spot, but there's a good possibility they only end up going with just 8 guys, which I think could be a mistake. But that's only because they may have to go with 10 OL players.

They may go light on Oline if they feel the 10th guy isn't better than the guys sitting at home.  You want to keep the best 53.

I personally think they'll go a little heavy at DL and WR this year because they have some extra talent at those positions.  Probably light on Oline, LB and maybe QB.  Though one could make the argument that with McCarron out the door next year, it'd be good to hang onto Driskel.  I'm not sure if he has PS eligibility left.

5 hours ago, theJ said:

They may go light on Oline if they feel the 10th guy isn't better than the guys sitting at home.  You want to keep the best 53.

I personally think they'll go a little heavy at DL and WR this year because they have some extra talent at those positions.  Probably light on Oline, LB and maybe QB.  Though one could make the argument that with McCarron out the door next year, it'd be good to hang onto Driskel.  I'm not sure if he has PS eligibility left.

I have been thinking they will go 7 WRs, 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 4 TEs (including Hewitt) and 8 O-Linemen since the draft.  On defense, 9 D-Linemen, 6 LBs and 10 DBs.  They guy I could never quite fit into the 53 was Wilson.  Now that he's on PUP, I could see that lasting as long as they need it to and bring him in mid season, a la McCarron, or simply IR him.  If something were to happen to Peerman in camp, the spot is all his.

As for the 9 DL....

Ends  Dunlap, Johnson, Willis and either Clark or Gilberry (but I want to put Lawson here and add another LB)

DT  Geno, Billings, Hardison, Glascow and DeShawn Williams

CBs  Jones (after week 1) Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, Shaw, Russell  (does Benewikere stick thru the first week, or do they put a guy they really want on the PS on the active roster for the first week, as teams pluck players for the back end of their rosters, to protect them)

S  Iloka, Williams, Smith, Fej

O-line   Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Westerman, Fisher, A Smith, Winston, Johnson

Now that Dielman wasn't put on PUP, that plan might blow up, because I was thinking that they'd PUP him with the foot injury and just leave him there all season.

As always, it only takes an injury or two to blow this all up, but at certain spots, it might allow keeping an extra younger player or two.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I have been thinking they will go 7 WRs, 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 4 TEs (including Hewitt) and 8 O-Linemen since the draft.  On defense, 9 D-Linemen, 6 LBs and 10 DBs.  They guy I could never quite fit into the 53 was Wilson.  Now that he's on PUP, I could see that lasting as long as they need it to and bring him in mid season, a la McCarron, or simply IR him.  If something were to happen to Peerman in camp, the spot is all his.

As for the 9 DL....

Ends  Dunlap, Johnson, Willis and either Clark or Gilberry (but I want to put Lawson here and add another LB)

DT  Geno, Billings, Hardison, Glascow and DeShawn Williams

CBs  Jones (after week 1) Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, Shaw, Russell  (does Benewikere stick thru the first week, or do they put a guy they really want on the PS on the active roster for the first week, as teams pluck players for the back end of their rosters, to protect them)

S  Iloka, Williams, Smith, Fej

O-line   Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Westerman, Fisher, A Smith, Winston, Johnson

Now that Dielman wasn't put on PUP, that plan might blow up, because I was thinking that they'd PUP him with the foot injury and just leave him there all season.

As always, it only takes an injury or two to blow this all up, but at certain spots, it might allow keeping an extra younger player or two.

There's no way IMO they go with 8 O'Lineman. There's already too many question marks with that group as it is, so they will need some other options assuming 1 or 2 of the starters don't play up to standard and get benched. The 8 guys you mentioned could very well be locks already, but I feel Johnson may not especially if either Hopkins or Redmond have a VERY good camp.

47 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

There's no way IMO they go with 8 O'Lineman. There's already too many question marks with that group as it is, so they will need some other options assuming 1 or 2 of the starters don't play up to standard and get benched. The 8 guys you mentioned could very well be locks already, but I feel Johnson may not especially if either Hopkins or Redmond have a VERY good camp.

Maybe, but they only dress 8 players on gameday.  So if you are going to carry one to be inactive weekly, that player needs to be better than the guy you just cut or slid to the PS.  I'd keep 3 oL on the practice squad and pull one up if/when needed.  To me, the 9th DL or the 7th WR is a better player than the 9th OL.  I like Hopkins and Redmon, but not more than Erickson, Core or hardison.

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Maybe, but they only dress 8 players on gameday.  So if you are going to carry one to be inactive weekly, that player needs to be better than the guy you just cut or slid to the PS.  I'd keep 3 oL on the practice squad and pull one up if/when needed.  To me, the 9th DL or the 7th WR is a better player than the 9th OL.  I like Hopkins and Redmon, but not more than Erickson, Core or hardison.

Yeah, you put those 1 or 2 Olinemen you might want to keep on the PS.  No one is going to scoop them up.  

I really hope someone cuts an overpaid but decent Vet OT. If anything happens to Ogbeuhi (be it benching or injury) we are kind of screwed. I don't have faith in Winston really and Fisher is not much better. Tie that in with Andre Smith being an injury plagued player/not a good fit a LT and you have really no options.

6 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I really hope someone cuts an overpaid but decent Vet OT. If anything happens to Ogbeuhi (be it benching or injury) we are kind of screwed. I don't have faith in Winston really and Fisher is not much better. Tie that in with Andre Smith being an injury plagued player/not a good fit a LT and you have really no options.

It's kind of hard to imagine the team doesn't sign a vet after the last preseason game.  You're right, one injury and they're screwed.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:46 PM, INbengalfan said:

I guess it all comes down to who is better in Camp and the preseason. Erickson, Core, and Hardison certainly have the leg up when it comes to making the team right now, but all it takes is for one of them to slip up and a guy like Hopkins to play so good, they have to make a tough choice. We will see.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, theJ said:

The CB spot is going to be a big battle for the #3 spot.  Jones and Dre seem to have the #1/2 spot locked up.  But Jackson and Dennard both have 1st round pedigrees, and Josh Shaw has actually shown something in games.  Lots of depth there.

While Adam Jones started with the first team at cornerback, alongside Dre Kirkpatrick, he will not start in Week 1 due to suspension. The battle to fill his position has fallen to Darqueze Dennardand William Jackson III. On Sunday, Dennard began to emerge as the primary candidate for the job. He was the third cornerback during defensive drills, and played many snaps at slot corner toward the end of practice. While he split the first team slot duties with Shaw, he played opposite Jackson on the second team as well.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/31/16066872/bengals-training-camp-day-3-observations-position-group

Lots of time to change course on this one.

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Dennard will have every opportunity to get that spot.  He'll have to be awful to be overtaken.

Shaw won the spot pretty easily over him last year (i know he was hurt, but even when he came back Shaw kept the #3 job).  Even if Dennard is good, i could see them using WJIII or Shaw as the #3 if they were better.  

5 hours ago, theJ said:

Shaw won the spot pretty easily over him last year (i know he was hurt, but even when he came back Shaw kept the #3 job).  Even if Dennard is good, i could see them using WJIII or Shaw as the #3 if they were better.  

The problem is Shaw is a mediocre player at best. Dennard has been a major disappointment, but his ceiling is still much higher, and the Bengals have to give him one more chance to prove he can be the man to replace Adam Jones. I honestly don't really see a battle on who will start in place for Jones, I've already penciled in Dennard. Jackson on the other hand because he's behind on the learning curve, will have to battle Shaw to be the nickel for week 1.

Archived