2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Auden Tate has the potential to be a star. Wouldn't shock me if he finished as the #1 WR on boards. 

I doubt that, if he was that great he would have showed more than he has already for sure.  In no way is he better than Courtland Sutton as a player, Sutton is just a big and is wildly more productive than Tate has been.  Also he is simply not as good as Calvin Ridley or James Washington at this point.  Heck could say Simmie Cobbs Jr when healthy is a much better prospect than Auden Tate, is more aggressive going after the football and much better after the catch something Tate I feel struggles with.  Tate could improve a lot and should this year for sure, if he does not have 1000+ yards receiving and close to double digit TDs that would be a disappointment.   But #1 WR overall I seriously doubt that.  Is he Kelvin Benjamin, no freaking way, someone said that before last season and I did not believe it then either.   Benjamin could go up and get the football much better than Tate can and is physically a faster better athlete overall.

On Florida State Murray is a better route runner and has better hands than Tate, and is better after the catch.  Phillips is a tough kid who could improve and breakout this year as well.  And Gavin is a big physical player with potential just like Tate.  Will see if Tate can improve though, his production should really increase and he should be the #1 option on paper, but that might not end up being the case.  Izzo probably will be there #1 target arguably.  Akers could potentially have more catches and big plays in the passing game at RB than Tate had all last year at WR.  

As for the person comparing him to Calvin Johnson.  Well Calvin Johnson was one of the best receiver prospects to come into the NFL in the past decade.  He had some of the best hands ever and amazing body control, oh and he was great from the word go in college.  So in no way is Auden Tate like Calvin Johnson.

29 minutes ago, Scout said:

FWIW I have a 3rd round grade on Tate going into the fall

And you then see him becoming the #1 WR on the board in the up coming draft how?  Even projecting I do not view him as that elite of a prospect, to become the best in the nation currently for draft eligible players, he will have to become a completely different player for that to happen.  

I should have explained a little further, my intention was not to compare his career to CJ. Or even KB for that matter. Rather just comment that watching some of his film I see a little CJ/KB to his game. I actually like Tate's body control and ability to catch in traffic that he's shown so far. He's a very underrated blocker as well. By no means a finished product but he has something that can't be taught and for that alone will be a bit more appealing towards his NFL chances. He most certainitly needs to be on the field more and take a step towards becoming a difference maker every play. 

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Auden Tate is already my WR1. He's a stud, it's been clear he has the talent to be great since high school.

Wow I do not see that in his game at all, he had one really good game in arguably his entire career, against Boston College last year.  His speed is more that suspect, sure can make some good contested catches but rarely goes up and over defenders to get the ball, high pointing it.  He really struggles to gain any separation at all from sub par college defensive backs and he is not a good route runner either.   His change of direction ability after the catch is almost not even there, as is his ability to get yards after the catch in most cases.  

Last year on Florida State Tate was flat out played by Travis Rudolph a far superior route runner and much faster athlete, he Rudolph went undrafted, now trying his way on the Giants.  And was also out played by Jesus "Bobo" Wilson big time before he got injured the entire second half of the year and did not play again.  He also was not drafted.  And Murray out played Tate as well last year in more than a few games and did not play in as many games as Tate did.  

If Tate was that great of a prospect he would have out played these guys from his freshman year and at latest his sophomore year.  Will see, maybe he will be the absolute man this year but I kind of doubt it.  And to call him a clear #1 WR in the nation for the up coming draft, wow that is an insult to a few of the top receivers.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

How good is Courtland Sutton is he more Dwayne Bowe/Devin Funchess or Alston Jeffery?

I would say closer to Jeffery.  He is far more athletic than Funchess is I feel and is faster than Jeffery and overall more athletic.  I would of had him as a possible 1st rounder last year, and with assumed improvement this year, doubt he falls past the 1st.  

My pro comparison for Courtland Sutton? Dwayne Jarrett.

I am not that high on Sutton. He can win with jump balls, but does not have the suddenness or route running to be considered a complete prospect. I don't think he's slow, but he's not going to shake NFL DB's.

My top WR is Calvin Ridley followed CLOSELY by Deon Cain. Both will be solid #1 receivers. I don't see a superstar WR in this class, but I think you can get a solid #1 receiver.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

My pro comparison for Courtland Sutton? Dwayne Jarrett.

I am not that high on Sutton. He can win with jump balls, but does not have the suddenness or route running to be considered a complete prospect. I don't think he's slow, but he's not going to shake NFL DB's.

My top WR is Calvin Ridley followed CLOSELY by Deon Cain. Both will be solid #1 receivers. I don't see a superstar WR in this class, but I think you can get a solid #1 receiver.

This is what my worry was. I see Dwayne as a possibility and that is what scares me 

On 8/16/2017 at 6:40 PM, Ozzy said:

I doubt that, if he was that great he would have showed more than he has already for sure.  In no way is he better than Courtland Sutton as a player, Sutton is just a big and is wildly more productive than Tate has been.

Auden Tate was hurt and missed time as a freshman which set him back some. As a sophomore he played in a WR group with three players who are currently competing for NFL jobs and another player in Murray who is just as unique and talented in an offense that pounded the ball a lot. So there are obviously not a lot of opportunities for Tate. Courtland Sutton had a much easier path to production at SMU, and he's done well which he deserves credit for but to compare their situations as if it's apples to apples is absurd not to mention the fact that Sutton is nearly a year and a half older than Tate. A.J. Green as a sophomore at Georgia only had 53 catches, 808 yards and 6 TD's in an offense without nearly as many options as Florida State had last year. Production can vary. Players develop at different rates. 

22 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Didn't even see this Sutton talk before I posted, but this is pretty much what I think of him too.

Really like his ability to go up and get it, but he's raw and I think his athleticism isn't as great as some make it out to be.

Hopefully we see some more polish as a route runner this year.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:46 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Callaway is an all-time idiot considering how he's been able to skate off relatively easy from other issues. Related rumor is that he and the other players committed credit card fraud by buying an Apple Watch, and then reporting the credit card as being stolen.

From what I've researched Callaway grew up pretty rough. Seems like a quiet, simple guy who continues to surround himself with what he's used to - bad influences. He's stuck. Hopefully he figures it out before it's too late or finds a mentor. I'm not a guy who gets upset or preachy over "wasted talent" because I feel we all waste talent. Hopefully he turns it around because on the field it comes easy to him.

Archived