2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Who would you compare Carrington to in the NFL?

Without thinking about it much, maybe a poor man's Larry Fitz.  They both catch the ball so effortlessly.  Fitz was obviously much more polished as a route runner, but they catch the ball pretty similarly.  And Fitz didn't have the off field issues that Carrington has.  He is guy people will have a hard time placing in the draft.  

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Probably Will Fuller without the drops

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

Without thinking about it much, maybe a poor man's Larry Fitz

This is the great thing about comps. How wildly different they can be.

Just now, Jlash said:

Yea I'm not sure about the Fitz one haha. To each their own, but Carrington ran a 10.49 100 meter time in high school. That's very fast, specifically for a high schooler. That's the same time his former teammate and current US Olympian Devon Allen ran coming out of high school. Looking at Carrington's build and athletic ability, just reminds me a lot of Fuller.

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Yea I'm not sure about the Fitz one haha. To each their own, but Carrington ran a 10.49 100 meter time in high school. That's very fast, specifically for a high schooler. That's the same time his former teammate and current US Olympian Devon Allen ran coming out of high school. Looking at Carrington's build and athletic ability, just reminds me a lot of Fuller.

I needed to explain/expound on the Fitz comparison, but had to leave and posted it without much explanation.  Fuller overall is probably a much better comp, but my comp was on body/hand usage.  Both Carrington and Fitz do a really good job at squaring up to the QB and shielding the defender from the ball.  They also use the full length of their arms to catch the ball rather than letting it come into their body.  This allows them to catch and turn quicker than a lot of other WRs that don't extend their arms out.  Those traits from Carrington I liken to Fitz.

I haven't watched enough of Fuller to really compare the two, but speed, burst, quickness I would agree on that comparison.

I'll throw a toolsy kid out there after his big game against Iowa; Anthony Mahoungou. Born in France, went the JUCO route before ending up at Purdue. He is big, smooth, and fast. He is a raw talent (doesn't extend with his arms much for the ball, route running needs work), but his athleticism is impressive. Purdue would get bowl-eligible with a win this weekend against Indiana. It would be great if he could work himself into a postseason game invite. Not sure if he is draftable yet, but I'd expect him to be in a camp next year because his fluidity for his size is impreesive.

5 hours ago, Counselor said:

He sure has looked great on the field... oh wait

A player doesn't have to play all 3 years in college to show he has elite talent.  Antonio Callaway proved enough his first 2 years to be the clear-cut best WR available this year (should he choose to enter the draft).   And IMO one of the 5 best we've seen in the last 10 years.  I would rate only the following WRs as better talents than Antonio Callaway in the last 10 years:

2011 - AJ Green

2011 - Julio Jones

2014 - Odell Beckham Jr.

2017 - Corey Davis

Callaway hasn't shown he can be a lawful citizen of society, let alone a NFL receiver, let alone a Pro Bowler.  I wouldn't draft him at this point.  Too much money on the line for someone who can't stay on the right side of the law.

Archived