2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 8/16/2017 at 8:28 PM, Ozzy said:

And you then see him becoming the #1 WR on the board in the up coming draft how?  Even projecting I do not view him as that elite of a prospect, to become the best in the nation currently for draft eligible players, he will have to become a completely different player for that to happen.  

Ability. He's a monster, but only has 25 career catches. 

7 hours ago, Scout said:

Ability. He's a monster, but only has 25 career catches. 

Will see what happens, I do not call ability having one good game in his career and not being able to run routes or run by defenders in general.   In college it is easy to just be a big guy and out muscle or be longer than the defender and get the ball without good route runner or separation, that does not work in the NFL.  

James Hardy, may he rest in peace, one hell of a big weapon in college, was far more successful in terms of production than Tate, but again route running and speed was an issue.  Mike Williams and Dwyane Jarrett did great things on USC, but neither one could run by anyone and that really hurt them at the next level, and they were more physical arguably than Tate.  Maurice Stovall was a slow bloomer as well but he could not get separation and was just a potential guy never developed into what he should have been.   Limas Sweed was a very good player, had some success in the NFL but again big guy who cannot get separation  Jonathan Baldwin actually had speed on paper but he could not run routes worth a crap, same with Stephen Hill.  But I would not worry, doubt Tate has 4.36 40 speed what so ever like Hill.  And most recently Dorial Green-Beckham, huge kid, way more potential in college than Tate but had the off field stuff which shows really what kind of person he is.  Still is out of the league right now, assume mostly to do with him as a person, but he also struggles to get separation and run good exact routes.

Of all the big receivers without great speed, Plaxico Burress was outstanding but I would say he was far more impressive physically than Tate has show and obviously far more productive as well.  Also was a different time in football with different rules, curious how he would do in the NFL of today.  Will see how Tate does, but I do not believe he will become this #1 WR prospect in the nation and be the second coming of Calvin Johnson.  

On 8/14/2017 at 6:22 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

I expect him to do something equally as stupid in the very near future.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:40 PM, Scout said:

Callaway keeps shooting himself in the foot..

I think we have a winner.

Here is a small school prospect I have been watching for a while - record setting WR Jake Wieneke of South Dakota State. Once in the NFL, I think this kid will quickly become a QB's new best friend. He is not a burner by any stretch of the imagination. He does have a large body with long arms and he knows how to use them. It appears that he knows how to get open on the 3rd and 6 or 7 plays - and then catch the ball to keep the chains moving. That is every bit as important to a passing attack as being able to fly past defenders when you are catching a 25 yarder over the top.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Here is a small school prospect I have been watching for a while - record setting WR Jake Wieneke of South Dakota State. Once in the NFL, I think this kid will quickly become a QB's new best friend. He is not a burner by any stretch of the imagination. He does have a large body with long arms and he knows how to use them. It appears that he knows how to get open on the 3rd and 6 or 7 plays - and then catch the ball to keep the chains moving. That is every bit as important to a passing attack as being able to fly past defenders when you are catching a 25 yarder over the top.

I think right now he is a 3rd or 4th round pick, could easily climb higher than that.  Sucks South Dakota State has such a crap schedule, Youngstown State and North Dakota State are good games, but would be nice to see them against any power conference school at least.  Love Weineke's catch radius, really can go up and get the football, does not get the hype of Goedert  does but is quite important to his success and ability to still get coverage off of him.  

Jake Wieneke is a great college player. I probably wouldn't draft him. Too many athletic limitations. He's 6'3" 215 with above-average hands, can contort his upper-body and make difficult catches. He's a smart player that came in right away and played well. He lacks foot quickness and takes time to get up to speed. His body type is problematic. He's very high-cut and will struggle at the next level changing direction and transitioning out of cuts. People will like him a lot but I just don't see how it works out for him. 

18 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Jake Wieneke is a great college player. I probably wouldn't draft him. Too many athletic limitations. He's 6'3" 215 with above-average hands, can contort his upper-body and make difficult catches. He's a smart player that came in right away and played well. He lacks foot quickness and takes time to get up to speed. His body type is problematic. He's very high-cut and will struggle at the next level changing direction and transitioning out of cuts. People will like him a lot but I just don't see how it works out for him. 

Yeah I have him as my #13 SR WR and have him in the 6th for the reasons you stated.

Excuse my ignorance but doesn't a relatively short torso with long legs usually translate to better running speed?  Perhaps with the exception of very tight cuts as you have said.  Wieneke seems to be pretty fast once he gets going but I think over 10yds not great.

Gary Jennings of West Virginia had 13 receptions for 189 yards and 1 TD while Cam Phillips had 7 receptions for 138 yards and 1 TD. Both of these WR's are listed at 6'+, so that's interesting. I'm more box score scouting at this point, though, because I was watching the Texas A&M vs UCLA game much more closely than West Virginia vs Virginia Tech.

Archived