DE    (3) Wilkerson, Lowry, Looney   
OLB  (6) Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Gilbert, Biegel, Donnerson
ILB    (3) Martinez, Burks, Martini
CB    (6) Williams, King, Alexander, House, Jackson, Rollins
SS    (2) Brice, Jones    
FS    (2) Clinton-Dix, Whitehead    

STs (3) K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradley

Notes:

Offense might be too heavy on WRs and one might have to be released, but at this point, I think those 7 have clearly outplayed the depth at other positions. I prefer two QBs but arm strength is hard to sneak to the PS and Boyle has arm strength. When Jones comes back, if there are no IR injuries opening a spot, it's either the 3rd QB, 7th WR or 9th OL (Bell) to go. I had a hard time picking between Bell and Amichia, but I'd try to sneak Amichia back onto the PS. 

Defense is slightly DL/OLB heavy and ILB/S light, but I thought Looney and Donnerson looked good in the first preseason game, so I added them. I also switched ILB Martini for ILB Thomas. I didn't want to cut S Evans due to his great ST gunner work, but someone had to go, Whitehead has much better coverage and pasted him on the depth late last year and Rollins has been practicing all over including Safety. Rollins verstility is why I kept him as the 6th CB, the 6th CB spot is really a wide open race and anyone guess.

Thanks, Beast and Finn.  This doesn't really look all that problematic.  Think the take-home is that they aren't really going to need to cut anybody really promising.  

If guys like Rollins, Donnerson, Looney, Kendricks, Bell, Patrick, Kumerow, and Boyle are all making it, that means you aren't being forced to cut anybody really super promising/painful.  Plus there's still another month of injuries to further open things up for guys who are barely off-the-bubble.  

Personally:

• I'd swap out Rollins and trade in at least one between Waters and Pipkens. 
  • I'd probably predict keeping both, because CB is so valuable; because both seem to have some pretty interesting upside; and because with Tramon and House both on vet 1-year deals, I think we'll need to replace one or both next year.  
  • Donnerson, he looks like PS guy to me (unless he looks *so* talented that they just don't want to expose him).  But really remote that he gets any snaps this year.  So I'd probably keep 7th corner, or maybe Odom instead?  But what do I know.  

I do get the sense that even within the OLB group, that Pettine might be more oriented towards the DE-style types than Dom would have.  So maybe stronger guys like Odom and Gilbert might stick, even if Odom isn't flashing lots of exhibition sacks?

Suspension List: RB Aaron Jones

QB    (2) Rodgers, Kizer  
RB    (3) Williams, Montgomery, Mays
FB    (1) Ripkowski
TE    (3) Graham, Lewis, Kendricks
WR   (7) Adams,  Cobb, Allison, Kumerow,  Moore, MVS, EQ
OT    (4) Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs   
OG    (3) Taylor, McCray, Bell      
OC    (2) Linsley, Patrick

DT    (3) Daniels, Clark, Adams
DE    (2) Wilkerson, Lowry
OLB  (6) Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Gilbert, Biegel, Donnerson
ILB    (3) Martinez, Burks, Martini
CB    (6) Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, Rollins, Pipkins
SS    (2) Brice, Jones, Evans
FS    (3) Clinton-Dix, Whitehead  

STs (3) K Crosby, P Scott, LS Bradley

PS (10)  QB -Boyle, WR - Yancey, WR - Jennings, DL - Looney, OL - Amichia, OL - Day, OL - Light, ILB - Thomas, CB - Brown, TE - Tonyan

I'd be tickled to see Gute add depth at OT at cut-downs.  There has to be a better option at OT than what we have behind our starters.  

14 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks, Beast and Finn.  This doesn't really look all that problematic.  Think the take-home is that they aren't really going to need to cut anybody really promising.  

If guys like Rollins, Donnerson, Looney, Kendricks, Bell, Patrick, Kumerow, and Boyle are all making it, that means you aren't being forced to cut anybody really super promising/painful.  Plus there's still another month of injuries to further open things up for guys who are barely off-the-bubble.  

Personally:

• I'd probably predict keeping both, because CB is so valuable; because both seem to have some pretty interesting upside; and because with Tramon and House both on vet 1-year deals, I think we'll need to replace one or both next year.  
  • Donnerson, he looks like PS guy to me (unless he looks *so* talented that they just don't want to expose him).  But really remote that he gets any snaps this year.  So I'd probably keep 7th corner, or maybe Odom instead?  But what do I know.  

I do get the sense that even within the OLB group, that Pettine might be more oriented towards the DE-style types than Dom would have.  So maybe stronger guys like Odom and Gilbert might stick, even if Odom isn't flashing lots of exhibition sacks?

Odom is really stiff and pretty slow, too.  No thanks.  

Gilbert is our third best OLB this year.  Fackrell and Biegel have really underwhelmed.  I think KF is better SAM backer.  He just doesn't have the strength to beat an OT.  If only Ted had drafted Lawson instead of Biegel - the D would be looking really good.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Personally:

Yeah I think the hardest part of the roster is how to keep the 7 WRs, STers leaders (like SS Evans), and potential guys that you think might deserve a spot.

As for your personal changes

• I think the 6th CB is wide open and could be any of them, I'm only picking Rollins by default of not having a clear answer at the moment. 
  • Tramon is actually on a 2-year deal, but I agree House is probably gone next year (unless Tramon retires and they bring House back in his place).
  • I have Donnerson being kept for his pure raw athletic potential. At 250lbs the guy reportedly ran between a 4.45 and a 4.48 in the 40 yard dash, which is faster than most of the Packers WR's 40 times. Also from what I've seen, he plays VERY MEAN... and the combo of the two should make him very good on STs (which is why I'm keeping him). Though on his college tape he looked EXTREMELY RAW and almost zero technique... in the preseason game he used very good technique to get to a RB and force a fumble... so he might be a quick study when he's forced to learned it to play... instead of just getting on the field as a freshmen at his small college. So as of right now, I'd like to keep Donnerson.

Question: If you keep Waters and Pipkens, who are you cutting besides Rollins? ... that's my biggest problem... because I'd be very open to keeping an extra DB. I just can't find anyone I'd want to release for that extra DB... there is Fackrell, Biegel, (I guess) Donnerson, Looney, Boyle and the 7th WR. That's about it, as far as choices go. Maybe the answer is which you think you could sneak over to the PS the easiest? ... but I think Donnerson could help out on STs with LB size and DB speed.

Post Pre-Season Game 1

QB: (2) Rodgers, Kizer

RB: (3) Williams, Monty, Mays (Mays gets replaced on the roster by Jones in Week 3 and added to PS)

FB: (1) Rip

TE: (3) Graham, Lewis, Kendricks

WR (7) Adams, Cobb, Allison, MVS, EQ, Moore, Davis 

OT: (4) Bak, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy

OG: (3) Taylor, McCray, Bell

OC: (2) Linsley, Patrick

Total Offense: 25

DL: (5) Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry

EDGE: (6) Matthews, Perry, Gilbert, Biegel, Fackrell, Veteran Addition

ILB: (3) Martinez, Burks, Veteran Addition

CB: (6) King, Williams, House, Alexander, Jackson, Pipkins

S: (5) HHCD, Brice, Jones, Whitehead, Evans

Total Defense: 25

Special Teams: (3) Crosby, Scott, Bradley

On offense, we go heavy at WR as many have discussed. On defense, I think we are still at least one, if not two vet additions away, namely at EDGE and ILB. We still to add a run-stuffing ILB to address Ryan's injury and a vet EDGE would be nice because outside of maybe Gilbert, I'm not expecting much from Biegel/Fackrell as pass rushers. I think we address those positions before Week 1. 

Fringe/Bubble players who hopefully go to practice squad: Kumerow, Boyle, Yancey, Looney, Donnerson, Pankey, Mays (after Week 2), Martini, Amichia, Waters

Probably won't do this again until after the end of the last preseason game.

QB: Rodgers/Hundley/Kizer [3/3]
RB: Williams/Montgomery/Bougagnon [3/6]
FB/TE: Graham/Lewis/Kendricks/Rip [4/10]
WR: Adams/Cobb/Allison/Moore/ESB/MVP [6/16]
OL: Bakh/Taylor/Linsley/McCray/Bulaga/Murphy/Spriggs/Bell/Day [9/25]

DL: Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark/Lowry/Adams/Looney [6/31]
OLB: Matthews/Perry/Gilbert/Fackrell/Biegel/Donnerson [6/37]
ILB: Martinez/Burks/Martini [3/40]
CB: Tramon/King/Jaire/Jackson/House/Pipkins [6/46]
S: HHCD/Brice/Jones/Whitehead [4/50]

ST: Crosby/Scott/Bradley [3/53]

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably won't do this again until after the end of the last preseason game.

QB: Rodgers/Hundley/Kizer [3/3]
RB: Williams/Montgomery/Bougagnon [3/6]
FB/TE: Graham/Lewis/Kendricks/Rip [4/10]
WR: Adams/Cobb/Allison/Moore/ESB/MVP [6/16]
OL: Bakh/Taylor/Linsley/McCray/Bulaga/Murphy/Spriggs/Bell/Day [9/25]

DL: Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark/Lowry/Adams/Looney [6/31]
OLB: Matthews/Perry/Gilbert/Fackrell/Biegel/Donnerson [6/37]
ILB: Martinez/Burks/Martini [3/40]
CB: Tramon/King/Jaire/Jackson/House/Pipkins [6/46]
S: HHCD/Brice/Jones/Whitehead [4/50]

ST: Crosby/Scott/Bradley [3/53]

Swap Bouagnon for Kumerow and I'm happy with this.

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Swap Bouagnon for Kumerow and I'm happy with this.

Makes us kinda short at the RB position no? Unless you're intending RIP get reps/carries.
Eventually a slots gonna have to open at RB for Jones return week 3.

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Makes us kinda short at the RB position no? Unless you're intending RIP get reps/carries.
Eventually a slots gonna have to open at RB for Jones return week 3.

Mays and Bouganon have not really shown me anything to deserve a roster spot. We roll with 2 backs IMO until Jones comes back. Cobb can be the emergency back with Rip splitting carries.

You're going to carry one of Mays or Bouganon on the PS so it would only be a game you're playing that way.

The 3 QBs kind of sucks too but it is what it is. You aren't cutting Kizer and you're cutting a free comp pick if you cut Hundley.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Mays and Bouganon have not really shown me anything to deserve a roster spot. We roll with 2 backs IMO until Jones comes back. Cobb can be the emergency back with Rip splitting carries. You're going to carry one of Mays or Bouganon on the PS so it would only be a game you're playing that way. The 3 QBs kind of sucks too but it is what it is. You aren't cutting Kizer and you're cutting a free comp pick if you cut Hundley.

Good strategy - but I'm just gun shy about overburdening Monty @ RB - probably too much so.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mays and Bouganon have not really shown me anything to deserve a roster spot. We roll with 2 backs IMO until Jones comes back. Cobb can be the emergency back with Rip splitting carries.

You're going to carry one of Mays or Bouganon on the PS so it would only be a game you're playing that way.

The 3 QBs kind of sucks too but it is what it is. You aren't cutting Kizer and you're cutting a free comp pick if you cut Hundley.

Exactly. I don't know that we'd even dress 3 RBs plus Rip in weeks 1 and 2, so what's the point of rostering Bouagnon? Obviously you have a decision to make after week 2 when Jones comes back, but by then the situation will probably look different. 

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agree.  How often does your 3rd RB ever get a snap?  Particularly if it's a guy you're planning to waive after two weeks anyway?  Zero reason to carry 3 RB's for the first two weeks.  (If we want to imagine scenarios where the first and second string player at a particular position both get injured in the same game, we can imagine lots of awkward situations!)  

Note:  I don't get the "cutting a free comp pick if you cut Hundley".  Are you saying Hundley was a comp pick many years ago, and you don't want to cut such a guy?  Or are you saying that Hundley is going to command such a big contract that we're going to get a valuable comp pick for him?  Don't think that's a factor!  :)

is there a point in keeping GMO?

honestly rather just roll with cobb and adams and roll with moore, kumerow, ESB, and MVS

we have graham and kendricks who are "receiving" TEs. along with monty who can play WR if need be. 

just see no point in keeping allison, but im sure the team won't see it that way

1 hour ago, IrishGreen said:

is there a point in keeping GMO?

honestly rather just roll with cobb and adams and roll with moore, kumerow, ESB, and MVS

we have graham and kendricks who are "receiving" TEs. along with monty who can play WR if need be. 

just see no point in keeping allison, but im sure the team won't see it that way

It's said the GMO Allison is seen as the clear 3rd best WR behind Cobb and Adams.

Archived