2018 Draft Eligible TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

12 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

im suprised a lil bit that no one has brought him up but Dallas Goedert is pretty good. 

if you want your yearly TE to OT convert project id say that would be Nate Wozniak from Minnesota. Currently listed at 6 foot 9 275 and runs like a 5.0

Goedert is a 1st rounder. 

16 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

All I'm saying is that his hands are questionable. He has a lot of drops. If you want to spend all day compiling that data that doesn't currently exist - be my guest. Until then I have the right to question a players hands when he has drops in 4/6 games I've watched and others noted by others in games I haven't yet evaluated. 

As someone that's watched every single game Fumagalli's played in, his hands really aren't a legitimate concern (outside of the missing finger lol). Lot of bad balls are thrown by our QBs due to their "talent" levels. Catching the football from Joel Stave, Bart Houston and Alex Hornibrook is no small task. But, alas, question whatever you choose. He's the best TE in the country in my book. We are a completely different offense with him on the field. 

I always come in and bring up Central Michigan players, since I went to school there and watch almost all of their games. Last year I was big on Cooper Rush, who made the Cowboys. 

Anyone watched Tyler Conklin? He has only played on game this year due to an early in summer camp, but he had a huge game against Ohio last week. You'll want to watch tape from this year and last probably, since CMU switched to an Air Raid and has him split out this year, but he had been playing in more of a pro style system before. He's a former basketball player that has flashed some strong receiving skills. 

5 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I always come in and bring up Central Michigan players, since I went to school there and watch almost all of their games. Last year I was big on Cooper Rush, who made the Cowboys. 

Anyone watched Tyler Conklin? He has only played on game this year due to an early in summer camp, but he had a huge game against Ohio last week. You'll want to watch tape from this year and last probably, since CMU switched to an Air Raid and has him split out this year, but he had been playing in more of a pro style system before. He's a former basketball player that has flashed some strong receiving skills. 

Really like Conklin, he's up there for me when talking about top TE prospects this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What do people here make of Ian Thomas (Indiana)?  There's not a ton to go on, but what is there has a lot of impressive flashes in it.  

I haven't really nailed down rankings at this point, but i kinda feel like my perception of this TE class is all flipped around from most of what i've heard and read in terms of "hype".  Really like some of the lower profile guys, while a lot of the headliners leave me a bit cold.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What do people here make of Ian Thomas (Indiana)?  There's not a ton to go on, but what is there has a lot of impressive flashes in it.  

I haven't really nailed down rankings at this point, but i kinda feel like my perception of this TE class is all flipped around from most of what i've heard and read in terms of "hype".  Really like some of the lower profile guys, while a lot of the headliners leave me a bit cold.

I have Thomas in that tier 2 of tight ends right now with Adam Breneman, Dalton Schultz, Durham Smythe, and Christopher Herndon. Thomas' is really solid and has flashed the ability to be a solid move tight end. He is a one-year wonder who barely played in 2016 after transferring in from the JUCO ranks and had some nice moments this season. Testing will be huge for him.

Thomas has a background you pull for though. Both his parents passed when he was young, and his older siblings (he is one of eight) have raised him since he was nine years old.

16 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I have Thomas in that tier 2 of tight ends right now with Adam Breneman, Dalton Schultz, Durham Smythe, and Christopher Herndon. Thomas' is really solid and has flashed the ability to be a solid move tight end. He is a one-year wonder who barely played in 2016 after transferring in from the JUCO ranks and had some nice moments this season. Testing will be huge for him.

Thomas has a background you pull for though. Both his parents passed when he was young, and his older siblings (he is one of eight) have raised him since he was nine years old.

Yeah.  By all accounts i've come across, seems like a guy who really cares about the game and knows how to work too.  He's obviously not anything resembling a polished blocker at this stage in his development, but do you not think he has the potential to round out that part of his game with coaching/experience and be more than just a move guy?  He looks plenty willing and physical at least, and with a body type that seems adequate...if a bit spastic technically.

Who would the "1st tier" be for you, roughly?

The standard Andrews/Goedert/Hurst guys?  Gesicki?

Chris Herndon is really good. He's a bit thin for an in-line TE, but he is an excellent route runner, receiver, blocker, and RAC guy. Despite being small, he was a much better blocker than David Njoku ever was at Miami. I wish he was 2 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, but he's going to be a good value for someone in the 3rd-4th round range.

Haven't watched Dallas Goedert yet other than a highlight tape. He looks like a monster, but I want to watch actual film on him first.

Mark Andrews is my TE #1. He's going to be a great NFL player and I'd consider him in the 1st round without hesitation if I needed one bad enough. He's not asked to block much, but he does have a frame that would suggest he could do it.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  By all accounts i've come across, seems like a guy who really cares about the game and knows how to work too.  He's obviously not anything resembling a polished blocker at this stage in his development, but do you not think he has the potential to round out that part of his game with coaching/experience and be more than just a move guy?  He looks plenty willing and physical at least, and with a body type that seems adequate...if a bit spastic technically.

Who would the "1st tier" be for you, roughly?

The standard Andrews/Goedert/Hurst guys?  Gesicki?

Tier 1 is indeed those four guys listed. I like Gesicki a ton. I understand he isn't going to ever be a great blocker but the guy is long and attacks the ball. Gesicki is insanely athletic in the air and make adjustments through bodies to make catches. His ability to catch the ball is special. Maybe he is not going to fit what everybody is looking for in the position, but any staff with half a brain would be able to understand this kid has Jimmy Graham written all over him and can make a huge impact.

I actually don't have any issue with Thomas' blocking right now. I'm not saying it's amazing by any means, but he does a good job of getting low and fighting through the end of the play. Again, pending testing (though it should cement his grade), I have him as a 3rd rounder right now.

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Thoughts on Wake Forest TE Cam Serigne? I saw Wake Forest play 3x this season and every time I watched them play, he stood out and made a ton of plays for that passing offense. Tough as nails and knows how to work the short game.

He reminds me of Chris Cooley.

Cam is a solid player who made the most of his talents at Wake, but he is going to be a 24-year old rookie who measured 6021, 240 lbs. with only 9 inch hands. Cooler was an inch and a half bigger, 25 lbs. heavier and likely the same speed despite the size difference. Seirgne will be in a camp and he is going to be limited to more of that H-Back role, but I'm just not sure what kind of NFL ceiling he has.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:20 AM, CalhounLambeau said:

Guy to keep an eye on going forward when/if he comes back from his hip injury is USC TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe. Heard he could be coming back this month. Likely won't come out this year. But you could get a look for next year.

Is that his real name or did your cat just step on your keyboard?

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that the Rams might be looking TE early. It seems like McVay would rather replace Sammy Watkins with an athletic TE and run more 12 personnel. After watching the consensus top four TEs in this class, I'd rate them as:

1. Dallas Goedert - Comparison: Travis Kelce

2. Mike Gesicki - Comparison: Jimmy Graham

3. Hayden Hurst - Comparison: A less polished Hunter Henry

4. Mark Andrews - Comparison: Cameron Brate

Goedert would be my guy for the Rams.

Gesicki is going to be a premier talent as an oversized WR, but he's not an inline TE. He's not a physical guy and does the bare minimum as a blocker. However, there's no denying his outstanding athleticism, great size, and powerful mitts. He has the best hands of the group, and he's the best route runner of the group. He'll be a mismatch in the passing game for sure, but he won't contribute much as a run blocker if he's asked to block NFL LBs or DLs. I prefer Goedert because I expect the Rams to use Gerald Everett like McVay did Jordan Reed in Washington. Grade: 1st Round

Goedert has the potential to be both a great blocker and receiver. His run blocking technique has improved, but he still needs to do a better job of rolling his hips into blocks instead of bending and reaching (it causes balance issues). Nevertheless, he shows very good functional strength, great leg drive, and good hand placement. He's shown the ability to be both a quality run and pass blocker. As a receiver, Goedert has outstanding hands and body control, but he drops a few passes he shouldn't. He's a very good athlete who can climb over the top of defenses with his speed, has impressive agility and change of directional skills for his size, and is a difficult player to tackle after the catch. Goedert's route running is a bit raw right now. He'll give the defense tips by leaning before he breaks, and he needs to work on his route footwork. He's much more dangerous right now on linear routes (drags, intermediate and deep overs, posts, corners, and 9-routes) than routes with harder breaks. Grade: 1st Round

Hurst has the potential to be a solid to good blocker and a very good receiver. He doesn't quite have Goedert's length and strength combo as a blocker, but he works hard at it and plays with requisite strength and physicality. He'll have to work on the technical aspects, but that should be no big deal. The attitude and work ethic are there. As a receiver, Hurst's biggest flaw is similar to Goedert's, he gives the defense tips on routes with harder breaks. He also needs to work on his route footwork (he has a tendency to hop into out-breaking routes). However, Hurst is a very good athlete who changes directions well, can attack all three levels of the field, and will run hard after the catch. He also has an outstanding pair of mitts and will make catches with defenders draped on him. He will also drop an occasional pass that he shouldn't, but he has the body control and hand strength to be a very reliable and dangerous pass-catching TE. Grade: 2nd Round

To be frank, I'm not much of a fan of Mark Andrews. He has the same issues as Mike Gesicki as a blocker. He's not physical and wants to do the bare minimum. However, unlike Gesicki, he's not an elite receiving talent. Andrews has good overall athleticism, but he's not nearly as quick as Gesicki and doesn't separate like Gesicki does vertically. His hands are also a step below Gesicki's, in the same tier as Hurst and Goedert (I'd say Hurst and Goedert both are better than him too in this regard). Andrews is smart and crafty. He should do quite well against zone coverage in the NFL, he runs good routes and uses his body well, and he'll make contested catches in traffic. Nevertheless, he's going to have a harder time separating against man coverage in the NFL, but due to his blocking issues, he'll likely have to operate as more of a slot TE. Ultimately, I see a guy who can be a solid starting TE like Brate. He'll be a dangerous red-zone target who will move the chains well, but his blocking issues and lack of special athleticism as a receiver will limit his ultimate ceiling. If you need a possession guy to move the chains, Andrews can be a good fit on Day 2 as an oversized slot. Grade: 3rd/4th Round

Archived