2018 Draft Eligible TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Cannot argue that Goedert is a good TE prospect in this years draft, He is dependable in every facet of the position and with time could be an excellent blocker and is already a very reliable receiver. He has great hands but isn't the greatest after the catch although tacklers seem to bounce off him. He runs tough but isn't game changer. He runs nice routes with subtle quickness.

However, I do not think either Gesicki or Goedert are first rounders. However I do believe Hayden Hurst will be a first rounder. IMO, he has the biggest upside of the 3. He has excellent ball skills, size and speed. As a route runner, he is very smooth and builds up his speed quite quickly. He excels on vertical routes and crossers. He has a huge catch radius  and tracks the ball very smoothly, probably because he is an ex baseball player. He is a willing run blocker who will only get better at it at the next level, although he lacks power at this time, but does a very nice job of shielding defenders. 

He will need to work on his route tree as he was never asked in college to run a number of pro routes, but he is a real willing worker who will put in the time to get better!

I like Hurst the most out of the top three TE's too, but, like everyone is saying, you hardly ever see anyone spend a first round pick on someone who probably won't see significant snaps until he's 26.  All it takes is one team, but I think a lot of teams think he'll be available on day 2. 

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Cannot argue that Goedert is a good TE prospect in this years draft, He is dependable in every facet of the position and with time could be an excellent blocker and is already a very reliable receiver. He has great hands but isn't the greatest after the catch although tacklers seem to bounce off him. He runs tough but isn't game changer. He runs nice routes with subtle quickness.

However, I do not think either Gesicki or Goedert are first rounders. However I do believe Hayden Hurst will be a first rounder. IMO, he has the biggest upside of the 3. He has excellent ball skills, size and speed. As a route runner, he is very smooth and builds up his speed quite quickly. He excels on vertical routes and crossers. He has a huge catch radius  and tracks the ball very smoothly, probably because he is an ex baseball player. He is a willing run blocker who will only get better at it at the next level, although he lacks power at this time, but does a very nice job of shielding defenders. 

He will need to work on his route tree as he was never asked in college to run a number of pro routes, but he is a real willing worker who will put in the time to get better!

I see Goedert as the same caliber of athlete as Hurst with the same level of ball-tracking skills, same caliber of hands, and better size and strength. I also see Goedert as a better blocker and runner after the catch. IMO, Goedert is a more talented version of Hurst.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I see Goedert as the same caliber of athlete as Hurst with the same level of ball-tracking skills, same caliber of hands, and better size and strength. I also see Goedert as a better blocker and runner after the catch. IMO, Goedert is a more talented version of Hurst.

And 3 years younger.  That’s huge for ceiling projections.  

Mike Gesicki is a genetic freak.He has almost an 83- inch wingspan.Mike is constantly compared to Jimmy Graham and they ran virtually the same 40-yard dash time.Gesicki's combine numbers were far superior to Graham's, in every other drill. 

Mike is a better athlete than Jimmy Graham.I expect him to be a first round pick.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Hurst is simply the better deep threat and can be a game changer, he is a smoother athlete and has a huge catch radius likely from playing baseball. His age may hurt him, but he can start from day 1 and be a threat.

Goedert is more of a intermediate receiver and not the deep threat Hurst is, at least IMO. They are both willing blockers who need more training and better strength wahich should come with time!

8 hours ago, TNTBangor said:

Mike Gesicki is a genetic freak.He has almost an 83- inch wingspan.Mike is constantly compared to Jimmy Graham and they ran virtually the same 40-yard dash time.Gesicki's combine numbers were far superior to Graham's, in every other drill. 

Mike is a better athlete than Jimmy Graham.I expect him to be a first round pick.

Gesicki is a long strider who football speed does not necessarily match his 40 time. He cannot block and being a long strider makes it a lot harder to get in and out of his breaks.

He is a 2nd rounder and #3 TE prospect IMO, but he should definitely still be a solid pro.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Hurst is simply the better deep threat and can be a game changer, he is a smoother athlete and has a huge catch radius likely from playing baseball. His age may hurt him, but he can start from day 1 and be a threat.

Goedert is more of a intermediate receiver and not the deep threat Hurst is, at least IMO. They are both willing blockers who need more training and better strength wahich should come with time!

Hurst is not the better deep threat imo. And Goedert has the larger catch radius.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hurst is not the better deep threat imo. And Goedert has the larger catch radius.

Gesicki  is the best high point catcher in the draft.  He is also a really tall slot receiver because he is not an inline TE and never played that way in college.  Comparisons to Jimmy Graham are spot on.  It all depends on what a team values in a TE.  Gesicki is a weapon but only in the passing game.  For comparisons, Gronk is an excellent blocker as well as a pass catcher.  Goedert is closer to Gronk but Hurst is not that far behind.  Hurst is a superior route runner and not a bad blocker.  Hurst's age is the deciding factor.

Boy it's pretty close in terms of catch radius between Gesicki and Goedert when it comes to catch radius. Both have elite ability to go up and get it. I think Goedert is better at controlling his body in the air thought. Gesicki has a height advantage which allows him to easily box out defenders, but I don't think he has the ability to contort in the air like Goedert.

I haven't watched enough of Goedert as a blocker, but apparently he's pretty good at it from what I hear. I need to do more work on him admittedly, but his highlight tape catches are amazing.

I still really like Mark Andrews. He's my top rated TE still, but I need to watch more of Goedert before I give him a grade.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Gesicki  is the best high point catcher in the draft.  He is also a really tall slot receiver because he is not an inline TE and never played that way in college.  Comparisons to Jimmy Graham are spot on.  It all depends on what a team values in a TE.  Gesicki is a weapon but only in the passing game.  For comparisons, Gronk is an excellent blocker as well as a pass catcher.  Goedert is closer to Gronk but Hurst is not that far behind.  Hurst is a superior route runner and not a bad blocker.  Hurst's age is the deciding factor.

Hurst and Goedert both have a lot of work to do as route runners. But once they get there, they'll be hard to stop.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Hurst and Goedert both have a lot of work to do as route runners. But once they get there, they'll be hard to stop.

I should have said Hurst is superior to the other TEs in the draft.  He is not coming into the league with the skill that say Amari Cooper or even Calvin Ridley( in route running)

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I should have said Hurst is superior to the other TEs in the draft.  He is not coming into the league with the skill that say Amari Cooper or even Calvin Ridley( in route running)

I can't agree with that.

Archived