How Can The Redskins' Deep Passing Game Improve In 2018?

oldman9er

There are two areas that should give confidence that the Redskins will have more success with connecting on the deep pass this season. The first is Alex Smith, who led the NFL in passer rating (131.4) throws targeted 20 yards or more from the line of scrimmage last year according to PFF. His 131.4 rating in this category was nearly 20 points better than the second best qb (Matthew Stafford, 111.6). Additionally, per PFF’s metrics, Smith led the NFL in deep pass yards (1,344) and adjust completion percentage (56.5). 

* also worth noting: ( WITHOUT Ty Hill ) :P 

Alex-Smith-768x432.jpg

The other factor that will benefit the Redskins’ ability to stretch the field this season is wide receiver Paul Richardson Jr. “I think that I have a lot of the same qualities,” Richardson said in reference to DeSean Jackson. Already this offseason, Smith has been working on building a deep ball connection with Richardson. Smith’s veteran presence and ability to be accurate on deep passes will help set the tempo for the entire passing game, especially on longer attempts. “He’s easily going to make us better,” said Redskins wrs coach Ike Hilliard. 

https://www.redskins.com/news/hailmail-how-can-the-redskins-deep-passing-game-improve-in-2018

I'd also want to stress the implementation of PLAY ACTION to you, Jay Gruden. Use it.. A LOT. 

If Jay uses more of the high to low reads (versus Andy Reid), as I have read from fans.. this could be a really fun team to watch. :) 

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh come on! You don’t always have to be negative! Someone needs to get you a better side of the bed to wake up on. ? 

jk

Well I currently have bronchitis, and soccer is the only thing on tv so I’m in a pretty bad mood.

I believe the passing game will be good, because our running game will awesome.

Guice & Thompson will command attention and this will set up play action passes. This is something Alex is very good at.

I think Alex will have less yards passing than what we have seen with Cousins.

I also think our run game will be dangerous & our red zone scoring will be very efficient.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I’m ready to be all in on the Guice train, but I need to see Jay Grudens commitment to running the ball before I’ll really believe.

If we can get the Jay from 2015 when we ran the ball 429 times instead of the 401 in 2014 & 17 and 379 in 2016, our running game and Guice should have a good year.

• 2 weeks later...

Since some of it is in the same vein....

Ike Hilliard Pleased With How His Receivers Are Connecting With Alex Smith 

https://www.redskins.com/news/ike-hilliard-pleased-with-how-his-receivers-are-connecting-with-alex-smith

This competition is something that WRs coach Ike Hilliard has enjoyed throughout the offseason, and looks forward to when the team begins training camp. "You’ll see all of our guys making a concerted effort to get it done," Hilliard said. The high level of competition amongst the younger receivers adds more potential to how the Redskins' offense can grow this season. As Alex Smith has said, there isn't going to be a grace period for this offense in his first season with the team. Hilliard is also excited to have so many of his young guys working with an established player in Smith because it pushes them to work at a higher level. 

“He’s [Smith] a pro’s pro. He’s easily going to make us better," Hilliard said. "I think our group will benefit greatly from his experience, which is a plus for us. We’re a younger group in terms of the years and playing experience. We’re looking forward the change and the opportunity of playing with Alex.” One of the major changes that Hilliard has noticed throughout the offseason is how his group has been able to stretch the defense. “I think it’s been really good," Smith said. "We’ve had great work. I think we’re ready for this. We were ready for OTAs. We got a lot in, Phase 1 and Phase 2, we got a lot of reps in, QBs and receivers working on timing.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The easy answer to improving the Redskins deep passing game is for Paul Richardson to be as good as he was last year in Seattle or better. Basically, everything Thai said. 

Not so sure that this is THE burning factor. To me, and it may be obvious, but I'd say it's mainly about the OL. Trenches, baby. 

If the run game is a threat (OL), and the QB is comfortable eschewing the shorter routes to wait on the deeper routes (OL), then go with that high to low mentality. 

If the run game is lousy (OL), and not keeping any offensive balance (OL).... if the QB is getting hit often (OL), he will go with more of the short passes and hope for YAC. 

Archived