The (Potential) 2020 Draft RB Class

Jeezla

I know it's probably a year early, but....

Could the 2020 RB Class potentially be even more loaded than the 2017 and 2018 RB classes?

Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin, 5'11" 215 lbs

JK Dobbins, Ohio State, 5'10" 210 lbs

Travis Etienne, Clemson, 5'10" 205 lbs

D'Andre Swift, Georgia, 5'9" 215 lbs

Cam Akers, Florida State, 5'11" 215 lbs

Najee Harris, Alabama, 6'2" 227 lbs

Stephen Carr, USC, 6'0" 210 lbs

Trey Sermon, Oklahoma, 6'0" 222 lbs

AJ Dillon, Boston College, 6'0" 240 lbs

Who are your top 3 RB's in this class if you had to rank them right now?

Who else (R/S Fresh or True Soph) should be added to this list?

Edited by Jeezla

I agree the 2020 class of RBs is really pretty special.  Makes this 2019 class look pretty bad, only back that could arguably hold his own to some of these guys would be Bryce Love.

Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin

Could say Najee Harris is the best of them all, kid has great feet and is super strong, he came make some special cuts.  Taylor will be interesting how he does now that everyone in college football knows about him and knows about how great he and that OL is.  Last year they caught some teams off guard at times especially early, will not be the case this year and honestly if he has anything far under 2000+ yards it will be a disappointment.  

AJ Dillion is a great back, is arguably as good as some of the top guys in the class no question.  And I agree Brian Robinson on Alabama should be added to the list, he could do some good things and might even get time in an already loaded RB group for Bama.

Ty Chandler on Tennessee at times last year ran super hard and is an interesting talent, not sure he is at an elite level though.  Malik Davis on Florida flashed at times last year, will see how he is this up coming season.  JD King Ok State showed some pop last year, and once Hill is gone potentially and he is a JR he could be a nice player.  DeeJay Dallas for Miami FL came on late last year, will see what he can do this season with a bigger role.  

As juniors this current year but doubt they come out early, these guys could be around in 2020, Malcolm Perry Navy is a big time athlete and really knows how to run the football.  Will see how he does this season.  Shannon Brooks on Minnesota has a medical redshirt for this season, is not in a great system but at times really flashed and showed great toughness for a RB but does get hurt a lot.  And Dedrick Mills I believe is on Nebraska and could do some good things, maybe would leave early but will see, is a greatly talented player from what he showed on Georgia Tech.  

But yeah could easily say Harris, Taylor, Dillion or Dobbins could be 1st round potential talents in this years draft if they could come out, three of them for sure so yeah it is a very talented group just on that alone.  

On 6/16/2018 at 9:46 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

I watched him a bit yesterday when he played towards the end of the Tennessee game. Too bad he can't play more often. 

I liked him more than Najee Harris when they were recruits. Still do. I think he eventually passes him for the top RB spot there. 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:31 PM, Ozzy said:

I agree the 2020 class of RBs is really pretty special.  Makes this 2019 class look pretty bad, only back that could arguably hold his own to some of these guys would be Bryce Love.

Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin

Could say Najee Harris is the best of them all, kid has great feet and is super strong, he came make some special cuts.  Taylor will be interesting how he does now that everyone in college football knows about him and knows about how great he and that OL is.  Last year they caught some teams off guard at times especially early, will not be the case this year and honestly if he has anything far under 2000+ yards it will be a disappointment.  

AJ Dillion is a great back, is arguably as good as some of the top guys in the class no question.  And I agree Brian Robinson on Alabama should be added to the list, he could do some good things and might even get time in an already loaded RB group for Bama.

Ty Chandler on Tennessee at times last year ran super hard and is an interesting talent, not sure he is at an elite level though.  Malik Davis on Florida flashed at times last year, will see how he is this up coming season.  JD King Ok State showed some pop last year, and once Hill is gone potentially and he is a JR he could be a nice player.  DeeJay Dallas for Miami FL came on late last year, will see what he can do this season with a bigger role.  

As juniors this current year but doubt they come out early, these guys could be around in 2020, Malcolm Perry Navy is a big time athlete and really knows how to run the football.  Will see how he does this season.  Shannon Brooks on Minnesota has a medical redshirt for this season, is not in a great system but at times really flashed and showed great toughness for a RB but does get hurt a lot.  And Dedrick Mills I believe is on Nebraska and could do some good things, maybe would leave early but will see, is a greatly talented player from what he showed on Georgia Tech.  

But yeah could easily say Harris, Taylor, Dillion or Dobbins could be 1st round potential talents in this years draft if they could come out, three of them for sure so yeah it is a very talented group just on that alone.  

I think Swift and Etienne would be 1st rounders. The both run in the 4.3's or low 4.4, and they can catch, juke, and run through arm tackles. And they both have decent size to hold up as 3 down backs. 

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I think Swift and Etienne would be 1st rounders. The both run in the 4.3's or low 4.4, and they can catch, juke, and run through arm tackles. And they both have decent size to hold up as 3 down backs. 

Calling those two 1st rounders at this point is a big projection.  Sure they could maybe get there but they have to prove to be able to be the man and more than just one year.  Both will get that chance this season.  Swift will see if he can carry the load without Michel and Chubb taking the pressure off him.  Etienne I love his big play ability no doubt, but has to get stronger and be able to break tackles more consistently.  Have to be able to do more than just run fast as a RB, especially a lighter one, just as CJ Spiller.  Not to mention Chris Rainey or Jeff Demps, both of them on Florida at times especially early blew up college football with that speed, but was a product of a very similar system and did not run in a pro style setting with breaking tackles and taking contact, oh and Dri Archer as well with his speed as a RB did not really translate.  Lucky for Swift he is a little more thick of a back but Etienne is very thin, see if he can get a little more thick.      

10 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I liked him more than Najee Harris when they were recruits. Still do. I think he eventually passes him for the top RB spot there. 

Najee did not get much of a chance with the ball last year but the little he did get in he really impressed I feel.  To say Brian Robinson Jr will be the better RB when it is all said and done, that would be a shocker to me.  Both are big athletic backs but Najee is a better more powerful athlete I think with better feet.  Robinson will get some play no doubt this year but would be shocked to see him beat out Najee Harris much less Damien Harris as well.  Najee Harris has more natural running ability and change of direction skills than say Bo Scarbrough did last year.

@Ozzy I like Najee Harris too, I just like Brian Robinson more. Harris is (obviously) bigger but I think Robinsom has a more well rounded skill set while also being a pretty big back. Harris in an ideal world is Derrick Henry 2.0 but he isn't the same kind of freak that Henry is. Robinson reminds me a ton of Jay Ajayi (with healthy knees).

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

That's an insanely talented group. I'm gonna throw Toledo RB Shakif Seymour out there as another potential 2nd-3rd round pick.

Cam Akers and JK Dobbins intrigue me the most out of those guys.

I love Cam, he seems like the gem of the group, he has so much juice in his legs, vision and power. Still kinda salty he didn't go to tOSU but falling back on Dobbins ain't bad at all. 

Akers was out of this world special.   Dobbins looked awesome, but the huge caveat is that the OSU OL is so good, it's hard to know how things will translate when there isn't as much of a talent gap as we saw many weeks.   Akers's surrounding cast makes his play even more noteworthy IMO.

From a fantasy perspective, those 2 are the top guys so far.  I will say that if there's a guy who could really thrive in the passing / home run aspects in an uptempo O, Carr is the guy that stood out.  Pass catching natural, and his burst/lateral quickness was something else. 

That's one helluva talented freshman class.  Some of the guys will underwhelm, but I see why ppl are excited for it.

Edited by Broncofan