The (Potential) 2020 Draft RB Class

Jeezla

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Zeke I feel is much better in pass pro and is clearly a better receiver especially in college but Taylor is improving on that.  And Zeke is far more physical and stronger than Taylor, broke way more tackles and was forced to run in traffic a lot more than Taylor has been I must say.  A lot of the time Taylor is not touched, not to mention Zeke's amazing performances in big time games against big time opponents, Taylor has yet to do many of those especially late in the year, will see if he can this season.  Najee has been a little disappointing this year but so has the Alabama OL, I would not be surprised if his pro career ends up being better than his college career in the right system but will see.  Even a guy like Kylin Hill could be drafted later but be extremely success in the NFL, so the RB position in general is hard to grade out and get the most value.

Cook and McCaffrey are the #1 and #2 leading rushers in the NFL and neither one has this amazing all world OL like Dallas or something.  Would be lucky if one Pro bowler comes off of either of those OL groups.  And Gurley teams are figuring out what they want to do on offense and putting 6+ defenders on the line of scrimmage, stopping the edges like New England.  And Gurley does not look like the same back, maybe he is still injured but clearly had those concerns coming into the league with injuries, and sadly might end his career early unless he can get back to what he was physically.  

I’d have to disagree that Zeke is stronger and more physical. They are the same size, they both are very physical runners and tough to bring down, I don’t think one is more so than the other. As for “often untouched”, you can say that about a lot of college RBs, but as an example on his most recent 72 yard TD he was untouched but that had more to do with his vision and speed than anything else. Yes a gigantic hole opened up on the back side but most RBs wouldn’t have the vision to see it and have the speed to attack it. 

Unfortunately these are arguments that can carry on all day every day. I actually never said one was better than the other, just that they are more similar to each other than to Barkley.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No, when Taylor runs for 220 - 2 in the B1G championship game, run for 230 - 2 against the #1 team (Alabama), and 246-4 in the National Championship game, then we can talk, until then forget about it

When Zeke runs for over 300 yards in a game then we can talk. See, anyone can use stats to justify their narrative.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

No, when Taylor runs for 220 - 2 in the B1G championship game, run for 230 - 2 against the #1 team (Alabama), and 246-4 in the National Championship game, then we can talk, until then forget about it

I agree, that run on performance he had in 2014 Taylor has yet to do and probably never will accomplish but will see.  Had 154 rushing and 2 TDs against ranked Michigan State.  Then a few weeks later 121 and 2 TDs against Michigan.  Then 220 and 2 TDs against Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game like you said, 230 and 2 TDs against Alabama in the playoff and 246 and 4 TDs in the Championship game against Oregon.  That is crazy high performance when it matters, and I still say Zeke is far more physical and far better at breaking tackles and breaking through contact than Taylor is.  That performance by Zeke with Cardale Jones as the QB was flat our historic.  

Will be interesting how Taylor looks against Ohio State, who will be one of the best defenses they play all season.  They are good at every level and much improved compared to last season.  What Taylor does against Michigan State will be interesting as well, they are probably the best defense he will face all year, and easily the best front 7 he will see all season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea I don't see where the running style is comparable between Taylor and Zeke. Zeke runs with a center of gravity that essentially makes him a cannon ball going through the line. 

Melvin Gordon is a far better comparison because both are more finesse then physical. 

Gordon and Taylor don’t really compare. Gordon is a long strider with elite short burst speed while Taylor has much shorter strides with elite top end speed. That’s really what Taylor has that Zeke doesn’t. 

49 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Gordon and Taylor don’t really compare. Gordon is a long strider with elite short burst speed while Taylor has much shorter strides with elite top end speed. That’s really what Taylor has that Zeke doesn’t. 

Lmao elite for either? Mmmk.

Neither is elite in anything. And no Gordon is not a long strider, that would be someone like Derrick Henry. Both have very similar builds with same finesse play and that much is obvious. But to say a 210 pound back is as strong or as physical a runner as Elliott who is known for his punishing run style is laughable to say the least. Especially when I see Taylor many a time go down on the first defender who does a proper tackle while Zeke has a running has a running style and physical ability much closer though maybe not quite on par with Ricky Williams. 

Again you are comparing a back who probably plays in at around 210 to a back playing closer to around 230. A finesse back against a power back. Taylor is good, and may even be great. But he's not quite on Zeke's level in terms of physical ability or game play impact so Gordon with his finesse play is a much closer comparison then an actual power back is. 

Edited by Calvert28

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Lmao elite for either? Mmmk.

Neither is elite in anything. And no Gordon is not a long strider, that would be someone like Derrick Henry. Both have very similar builds with same finesse play and that much is obvious. But to say a 210 pound back is as strong or as physical a runner as Elliott who is known for his punishing run style is laughable to say the least. Especially when I see Taylor many a time go down on the first defender who does a proper tackle while Zeke has a running has a running style and physical ability much closer though maybe not quite on par with Ricky Williams. 

Again you are comparing a back who probably plays in at around 210 to a back playing closer to around 230. A finesse back against a power back. Taylor is good, and may even be great. But he's not quite on Zeke's level in terms of physical ability or game play impact so Gordon with his finesse play is a much closer comparison then an actual power back is. 

You wouldn’t call sub 4.40 elite speed for a running back that is 220 lbs? Gordon is also known for his 0-60 burst which yes, is elite.

Dude are you a moron? Gordon is 100% a long strider, watch his splits when he runs. The fact that you say he isn’t a long strider indicates you have zero knowledge of what you are talking about. His long strides is why he struggles to juke people like Barkley. 

Finally Taylor plays at 220, not 210, proving again you literally have no clue what you are talking about. Taylor hardly ever goes down at first contact, which is why he led all of college football in yards after contact last year but go ahead, keep blurting out nonsense with no basis.

Facts>Opinions but I’m sure you will respond talking **** and making claims with no proof to back them up...I can’t wait.

LMAO, LOL, HAHA

Edited by badgers0821

5 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

You wouldn’t call sub 4.40 elite speed for a running back that is 220 lbs? Gordon is also known for his 0-60 burst which yes, is elite.

Dude are you a moron? Gordon is 100% a long strider, watch his splits when he runs. The fact that you say he isn’t a long strider indicates you have zero knowledge of what you are talking about. His long strides is why he struggles to juke people like Barkley. 

Finally Taylor plays at 220, not 210, proving again you literally have no clue what you are talking about. Taylor hardly ever goes down at first contact, which is why he led all of college football in yards after contact last year but go ahead, keep blurting out nonsense with no basis.

Facts>Opinions but I’m sure you will respond talking **** and making claims with no proof to back them up...I can’t wait.

LMAO, LOL, HAHA

If and that's a big if he plays at that weight and speed which oft times we find prospects come up short at the combine. I'll believe when I see it done there. I mean you're taking what the university says is his weight and speed and oft times Universities will put out false numbers bigger and faster then what their players really are to make their program seem more intimidating. That 6-0 220 or 6-1 220 would look like this.

Related image

He is not that big. No numbers in college should be considered accurate until the combine, so it's possible his numbers can be very good. But he is listed at 5-11 which at the combine can measure in at 5-10. 220 maybe really be 210, and that 4.4 flat you're talking about may really be a sub 4.5. I mean you should know that as a Badgers fan considering Gordon was supposedly gonna run a sub 4.3 and wound up running a 4.52. 

And no Taylor goes down a number of times after the first hit. Hell I can pull you up any of his highlight videos and count them off to you which is supposed to be a players most impressive performances. 

It's clear you're a Badgers homer and it's cool. I get the same way with Longhorns here and there. But you have to come down off cloud 9 and take a more realistic look at your prospects. 

11 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It's clear you're a Badgers homer and it's cool. I get the same way with Longhorns here and there. But you have to come down off cloud 9 and take a more realistic look at your prospects. 

Melvin Gordon is a good, not great Runningback

Jonathan Taylor is the #1 RB prospect this upcoming draft for me with Etienne not far behind. Swift definitely in the mix as his 5'9 frame at 215 is actually very good and very stout for a runningback, but I'm not terribly familiar with SEC play frankly. 

I have JT on par with how I viewed Elliot as a prospect. (Should be taken somewhere between 9-15 range) Etienne and Swift are probably also top 20 guys talent wise, but I don't know how much demand there will be for a runningback so someone is definitely going to drop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

SaQuon Barkley is the only legit 6'0 220+ sub 4.40 guy I can recall (Yes he is sub 4.40, he ran 4.40 flat in the combine when he stumbled)

I thought Barkley did it at 230? Zeke ran a 4.45 or something at 225. But to say Taylor is just as physical as Zeke while being faster is just plain stupid and homerish. 

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I thought Barkley did it at 230? Zeke ran a 4.45 or something at 225. But to say Taylor is just as physical as Zeke while being faster is just plain stupid and homerish. 

Barkley was officially 230 or 232, more lower body. Would like to see him run through people from time to time, but he approaches the game more like Barry Sanders.

• Like 1

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Personally I dont think I want to see him get better, especially if Daniel Jones is legit. 

I may be an Eagles fan, but I'm more of a College Football guy and Penn State guy. Also runningback is my favorite position. I can overlook Barkley being on the Giants as he's my favorite football player of all time. I root for him 14 games out of the year. But two games a year, I'm heartbroken.