The (Potential) 2020 Draft RB Class

Jeezla

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like the RBs going back to school is more about "who picks late in the first and is likely to pick an RB" than anything else.  Guys like Etienne aren't going to go in the teens and of the playoff teams, who exactly has an RB high on their list of priorities?  *Maybe* KC?

Not to mention Etienne, in my mind, somewhat easily becomes RB 1 next year. Thing that strikes me as odd is all these RBs coming out this year, and there’s still plenty of them in this class, where do people see all these teams with RB holes? I’m not talking about a team needing a change of pace type, or a back up in case of injury. But teams that legit have a need for a starter or even a possible opening for a rookie to come in and claim the starting role. I don’t see all that many.

13 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Not to mention Etienne, in my mind, somewhat easily becomes RB 1 next year. Thing that strikes me as odd is all these RBs coming out this year, and there’s still plenty of them in this class, where do people see all these teams with RB holes? I’m not talking about a team needing a change of pace type, or a back up in case of injury. But teams that legit have a need for a starter or even a possible opening for a rookie to come in and claim the starting role. I don’t see all that many.

Sure not any one team has zero running backs and needs a starter.  But Tampa Bay is in huge need of a legit back, Jones is ok but I think they need one 2nd or 3rd round.  But I think Atlanta can use a backup and future starter after Freeman is done.  Depending on if Gore retires Buffalo could use one, Chargers could use one if they let Gordon and Ekeler go.  Chiefs like you said could use one late 1st round.  Tennessee might need an insurance back for Henry to spell him and or if they cannot resign him after this year.  Jacksonville I think could use another back possibly.  Denver could use one, Seattle no question after the mess they had this year with the injuries.  Maybe Minnesota if they do not want to resign Cook long term after this up coming season.  Houston for sure with their situation especially if Hyde is not there and Miller is not resigned.  Even Baltimore with Ingram and his injury issues late this season, not sure Gus Edwards is that great but ok as a backup but with how they run the ball might need more than just that.  

So there are teams that need up but sure not a huge need but same can be said for QB unless some guys retire and that is the case at RB as well.  Heck Pittsburgh needs one mid rounds, Miami no question need one potentially etc.

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure not any one team has zero running backs and needs a starter.  But Tampa Bay is in huge need of a legit back, Jones is ok but I think they need one 2nd or 3rd round.  But I think Atlanta can use a backup and future starter after Freeman is done.  Depending on if Gore retires Buffalo could use one, Chargers could use one if they let Gordon and Ekeler go.  Chiefs like you said could use one late 1st round.  Tennessee might need an insurance back for Henry to spell him and or if they cannot resign him after this year.  Jacksonville I think could use another back possibly.  Denver could use one, Seattle no question after the mess they had this year with the injuries.  Maybe Minnesota if they do not want to resign Cook long term after this up coming season.  Houston for sure with their situation especially if Hyde is not there and Miller is not resigned.  Even Baltimore with Ingram and his injury issues late this season, not sure Gus Edwards is that great but ok as a backup but with how they run the ball might need more than just that.  

So there are teams that need up but sure not a huge need but same can be said for QB unless some guys retire and that is the case at RB as well.  Heck Pittsburgh needs one mid rounds, Miami no question need one potentially etc.

Minnesota? Yeah they spent a 3rd rounder on a RB last year and Mattison did really well.

Baltimore? They also spent a 3rd last year on a RB. Doubt they use premium picks again on the position with Edwards and Hill there. 

Buffalo? Did you not watch Devin Singletary?

Tenn only uses a premium pick if they let Henry walk (they won't).

Atlanta needs another RB. Their backfield is a wasteland and Freeman is washed. 

Pittsburgh used a 4th on Snell but maybe they decide they want something more because he didn't seem like he was anything more than JAG.

Miami needs one.

Right now there are probably 2 spots where a guy could step right in but it was the same way last year. The RB position is so deep in football right now. 

55 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Dolphins

Jets (if they get rid of Bell)

Ravens

Chiefs

Redskins

Saints

Falcons

Bucs

That's a good number of teams that could use a HB. It would slot Etienne nicely in the 20 to 50 range. It's not like he's going to improve on that much (if at all) next year.

1 hour ago, sherm said:

Lol not if they enjoy playing college ball. Don't get calling these young men stupid for making a tough decision. I get it messes up u guys draft boards but u will get over it.

A RB that is going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds should never go back to school.  It has nothing to do with my draft board.  The shelf life of a RB in the NFL is very short.  Going back to school when it is unlikely to boost your draft stock does nothing but delay a 2nd contract that much longer and adds more wear on the body.

I think it is a very poor financial decision.

If they could get endorsements in college, itd be different.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

A RB that is going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds should never go back to school.  It has nothing to do with my draft board.  The shelf life of a RB in the NFL is very short.  Going back to school when it is unlikely to boost your draft stock does nothing but delay a 2nd contract that much longer and adds more wear on the body.

On the flip side of that is the fact that he will probably finish his degree and perhaps that is more important to him. Since RBs do have a short shelf life, maybe he is thinking more about post-career and making sure he knows what to do and how to handle his chickens. (Note: I do understand he can finish his degree after playing or even during the offseason but he may not want that).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

On the flip side of that is the fact that he will probably finish his degree and perhaps that is more important to him. Since RBs do have a short shelf life, maybe he is thinking more about post-career and making sure he knows what to do and how to handle his chickens. (Note: I do understand he can finish his degree after playing or even during the offseason but he may not want that).

I think that argument holds more water when discussing almost any other position.  Not RBs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Minnesota? Yeah they spent a 3rd rounder on a RB last year and Mattison did really well.

Baltimore? They also spent a 3rd last year on a RB. Doubt they use premium picks again on the position with Edwards and Hill there. 

Buffalo? Did you not watch Devin Singletary?

Tenn only uses a premium pick if they let Henry walk (they won't).

Atlanta needs another RB. Their backfield is a wasteland and Freeman is washed. 

Pittsburgh used a 4th on Snell but maybe they decide they want something more because he didn't seem like he was anything more than JAG.

Miami needs one.

Right now there are probably 2 spots where a guy could step right in but it was the same way last year. The RB position is so deep in football right now. 

Ummm Gus Edwards on the Ravens is a free agent there buddy, and maybe they sign him maybe they do not.  And again Ingram's injury issues is a real issue for a team that wants to run the football that much.  Since when do NFL teams not stack the RB field?  Look at the Patriots, drafted Michel when they already had James White, than drafted Damien Harris when they already drafted Michel the year earlier.  

Buffalo, again if Gore is out they need another one because that is a team that wants to run the ball and they need two to keep them fresh.  Since when is that a bad idea?  And sure Minnesota is a long shot but Cook has a bad injury history and honestly again not sure they will pay to resign him in 2021 but will see what happens.  Tennessee would be idiots not to draft a RB just for insurance alone even if they keep Henry.  Sure Dion Lewis but maybe they can find a cheaper version of him and cut him loose.  

Yes Pittsburgh drafted Snell who has potential, Conner had a bad year and not sold on him and again they are a team that ideally wants to run the football.  

Also the RB position is deep yes, but it also is the fact many teams are turning to running the ball more because if controls the clock, helps the D and a lot of defenses are made to stop the pass and the linebackers in the NFL are getting smaller and smaller.  Not big run stoppers like before so it is easier to run the ball even with the arguably worse OL play than years previous.  Most guys would would be a LB and are now a DE and some SS types are now a LB so clearly the defense is going for speed not power and that helps the run game.  Even some NT types some teams do not even look at because they want Aaron Donald types. 

11 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Agreed totally, some guys like college, are good students and want to graduate and complete school while they are in the mindset of college and taking classes.  Etienne has not had a real big injury history while in college so I do not see him all of a sudden getting smashed and destroying his career next year.  It would be more shocking if Simmons returns but with how late it is in the process now, he totally might be.  

27 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

All this info is available to these kids from their coaches. I highly doubt they would do it if they were looking for a cash day now and down the line. My guess is they were prob told it's best to leave(financially) and they really want a final yr in college. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ummm Gus Edwards on the Ravens is a free agent there buddy, and maybe they sign him maybe they do not.  And again Ingram's injury issues is a real issue for a team that wants to run the football that much.  Since when do NFL teams not stack the RB field?  Look at the Patriots, drafted Michel when they already had James White, than drafted Damien Harris when they already drafted Michel.

Both of those moves were unnecessary.

15 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Both of those moves were unnecessary.

What was unnecessary, drafting Michel?  Maybe Damien Harris but over time I think he will be fine, and Michel lead them to a Super Bowl, or at least was a gigantic part of them winning a Super Bowl last year.  If he was not on the roster last year, they do not win the Super Bowl.  

7 of the top 9 rushing teams in the NFL made the playoffs this year.  Yeah running the ball is kind of a big deal considering the defensive skill set currently around the NFL.  

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like the RBs going back to school is more about "who picks late in the first and is likely to pick an RB" than anything else.  Guys like Etienne aren't going to go in the teens and of the playoff teams, who exactly has an RB high on their list of priorities?  *Maybe* KC?

Maybe he just really likes banging clemson chicks. I'm happy Etienne won't be going to KC. Mahoney + Etienne + Hill + Kelce would be rude.

Edited by Jeezla