The (Potential) 2020 Draft RB Class

Jeezla

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Miles Sanders, Penn State

He's been overshadowed by some guy named Barkley, but will take the reins this year.  Was 5-star RB coming out of high school and has averaged 6.7 ypc so far in college.

He's eligible for the 2019 draft,  so I didn't include him in my list. He'll be interesting to watch this year. He supposedly gained about 20 lbs during the offseason.

• Like 2

Anthony MacFarland from Maryland will be draft-eligible in 2020.  Good chance (at this point) that he doesn't declare, but he is the highest-ranked recruit (pretty high 4*) in a fairly talented backfield.  He redshirted last year due to injury concerns from HS, but looks to be used in the RB rotation this year and get a fair number of looks as a slot/WB.  I don't think he necessarily should be on the short list for 2020 prospects at this point, but he's a guy to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I was surprised to see Warrick Dunn had better stats than Cook.

What, how you figure, what pass catching he had better stats?  Heck Cook almost had a year with 500 yards receiving, Dunn never had that, Dunn did have more TDs pass catching than Cook but...

Dalvin Cook
687 carries, 4464 yards, 6.5 per carry, 46 TDs.  79 receptions, 935 yards, 2 TDs

Warrick Dunn
575 carries, 3959, 6.9 per carry, 37 TDs.  132 receptions, 1314 yards, 12 TDs

Cook has more total yards from scrimmage and only one less TD, and like someone else said that was in only 3 years compared to 4 and his 1st year he did not play a ton early in the season compared to later on.  Not sure how Dunn had better stats....  Looking at a season by season basis Cook was by far the better player especially as a pure runner in college.  Now let us see if Cook can be as consistent and productive as Dunn was in the NFL over a long period of time without injury, that is another issue.  Dunn played 12 years and is 22nd all time in rush yardage.

9 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Dunn

Cook

5.9...7.4...6.1...--

Cook got way more work than Dunn, but those rushing averages per season is notable. The year Cook should've won the Heisman, Dunn had two better years, in terms of YPC.

Measuring success off yards per carry when one has far more carries,  give me a break.  Yeah James Wilder Jr average 7 yards a carry, so it was because obviously he did not get a majority of the carries in that offense.  Hell Trung Canidate had 7.3 yards per carry his JR year, guess what that went down to 6.3 once he had 100 or so more carries the next year but had 400+ yards more.  

Justin Forsett has the 18th highest per carry average in NFL history at 4.7, so what it is because he does not get the ball that much.  Michael Vick has the highest per carry average in NFL history at 7.0, no wonder he never ran anywhere close to 1000 times in his career, guess who is second, Randall Cunningham, no surprise, Cam Newton is top 5 on that list also.  Dunn is tied for 137th in NFL history in per carry average at 4.1.

To say Dunn had a better college career because of his per carry average when he carried it less, come on....

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

To say Dunn had a better college career because of his per carry average when he carried it less, come on....

I just said his stats were better.

I've watched just about every game of Cook, and he's probably one of the 5 best college RB's in the past decade, which is why I was so surprised mow much better Dunn's YPC was, especially when teams lined up and ran the ball directly back then, without all the spread formations and movement.

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

I just said his stats were better.

I've watched just about every game of Cook, and he's probably one of the 5 best college RB's in the past decade, which is why I was so surprised mow much better Dunn's YPC was, especially when teams lined up and ran the ball directly back then, without all the spread formations and movement.

On what earth does Dunn have better stats?   Because what a half a yard per touch better average than Cook?  Here are the numbers combined rushing and pass catching

Dalvin Cook
766 touches, 5399 yards, 7.0 per touch, 48 TDs

Warrick Dunn
707 touches, 5273 yards, 7.5 per touch, 49 TDs

And like it already has been said you are comparing a three year career to four year career.  It is absurd, Cook would be far and away ahead of Dunn in stats if he would have played even half of his senior year.  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

On what earth does Dunn have better stats?   Because what a half a yard per touch better average than Cook?  Here are the numbers combined rushing and pass catching

And like it already has been said you are comparing a three year career to four year career.  It is absurd, Cook would be far and away ahead of Dunn in stats if he would have played even half of his senior year.  

And if Dunn had the opportunity for more touches, Dunn would be ahead in totals. It goes both ways.

Who cares, 3 vs 4 years? More like 3 vs 3.5 if you look at workload. That's irrelevant to me. Cook got more work, but Dunn did a little more with what he had. I was genuinely surprised at Dunn's stats. How you determine who had "better" stats is partially subjective.

After a bit of research, having a 6.9 rushing AVERAGE for 4 years of work is incredibly impressive and can't be overstated. I was looking at NCAA single season 1)rushing average leaders, and 2)total yardage leaders since 2000, and it looks like Dunn had a higher career rushing average than the vast majority of RBs who led NCAA in rushing average or total yards for a single season. 

Also, did Derrick Henry have a better season than Cook when he won the Heisman? I'd say "no", he just got more work and lead CFB in carries that season - 58 more than the next guy.

11 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

And if Dunn had the opportunity for more touches, Dunn would be ahead in totals. It goes both ways.

Who cares, 3 vs 4 years? More like 3 vs 3.5 if you look at workload. That's irrelevant to me. Cook got more work, but Dunn did a little more with what he had. I was genuinely surprised at Dunn's stats. How you determine who had "better" stats is partially subjective.

After a bit of research, having a 6.9 rushing AVERAGE for 4 years of work is incredibly impressive and can't be overstated. I was looking at NCAA single season 1)rushing average leaders, and 2)total yardage leaders since 2000, and it looks like Dunn had a higher career rushing average than the vast majority of RBs who led NCAA in rushing average or total yards for a single season. 

Also, did Derrick Henry have a better season than Cook when he won the Heisman? I'd say "no", he just got more work and lead CFB in carries that season - 58 more than the next guy.

I guess we just view stats completely differently, sure yards per touch are important but honestly look back and there are tons of guys who did not succeed in the NFL or do anything there at all and had great yards per carry averages, here are just some of very many.  And yes some had good work loads but a lot have a great average but a low work load, increase the work load the average usually goes down.  

Felix Jones in three years with 386 carries had 7.7 per carry and 2956 yards, was also with pass catching included 7.9 yards a touch.  

Dri Archer had 7.2 average per carry over four years and one year averaged 9.0 yards a carry with 159 rush attempts.  With pass catching included had 8.3 yards per touch in his college career.  

Lache Seastrunk in two years with 289 carries averaged 7.6 yards a carry and had two thousand yard seasons.  With pass catching included average 7.7 yards per touch.  

Want to see a work load and a good average, look at Bryce Love last year, 263 carries, 2118 yards and 8.1 yards per carry.  Oh and he was injured probably 1/3 of the season.  Or say Ezekiel Elliott, 273 carries, 1878 yards and 6.9 per carry in one year and did close to the same the next season.   Clearly is a lot harder to keep the average up with a bigger work load.  

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I guess we just view stats completely differently, sure yards per touch are important but honestly look back and there are tons of guys who did not succeed in the NFL or do anything there at all and had great yards per carry averages, here are just some of very many.  And yes some had good work loads but a lot have a great average but a low work load, increase the work load the average usually goes down.  

Felix Jones in three years with 386 carries had 7.7 per carry and 2956 yards, was also with pass catching included 7.9 yards a touch.  

Dri Archer had 7.2 average per carry over four years and one year averaged 9.0 yards a carry with 159 rush attempts.  With pass catching included had 8.3 yards per touch in his college career.  

Lache Seastrunk in two years with 289 carries averaged 7.6 yards a carry and had two thousand yard seasons.  With pass catching included average 7.7 yards per touch.  

Want to see a work load and a good average, look at Bryce Love last year, 263 carries, 2118 yards and 8.1 yards per carry.  Oh and he was injured probably 1/3 of the season.  Or say Ezekiel Elliott, 273 carries, 1878 yards and 6.9 per carry in one year and did close to the same the next season.   Clearly is a lot harder to keep the average up with a bigger work load.  

Felix Jones and Dri Archer were gadget players though. Lache Seastrunk played in an offense that pumped out high YPC guys. Bryce Love is more comparable.

Stats are essentially meaningless for the most part, but just thought I'd point out that both Cook and Dunn played in significantly different schemes than the players noted.

• 1 month later...

Have to admit I'm disappointed Holyfield looks better than Swift for UGA so far. No sleight to Holyfield, who is a good or even very good prospect himself, but I thought Swift was going to be a super stud this year.

Looking like Jonathan Taylor is the creme of this RB crop through 3 weeks, but you do wonder what he'd look like running behind FSU's OL instead of Wisconsins OL, which is probably better than 5+ NFL OL's.

Edited by Jeezla