The (Potential) 2020 Draft RB Class

Jeezla

1 minute ago, badgers0821 said:

I’m really curious what everyone would think of Etienne if he played at Wisconsin. My guess is most people would drop him on their list because “all UW RBs fail in the NFL” and “are just products of the system and the OL”. 

Even though Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement have both translated pretty well. Gordon doesn't seem to be a product of the system. His issues seem to be trying to bounce runs outside or the other way trying to turn a four yard gain into a seventy yard touchdown. Or injuries. Clement is a really nice receiver, and if anything, that wasn't shown enough at Wisconsin. I'm a believer in Jonathan Taylor. As for Etienne, I'm cautiously putting a mid-late 1st on him. Blazing speed, and runs with some more oomph than you'd expect, but I'm not in love with his size and power yet. I need a RB prospect to be perfect to get a high 1st from me. Gurley, McCaffrey, and Barkley are the only three that have received one from me since 2013.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, HoboRocket said:

JK Dobbins helped his stock this week against Indiana in some ways, but he also dropped a wide-open touchdown pass early in the game. Looks like a dynamic runner, hopefully the drop is an aberration.

While not great, his hands are usually more than adequate, maybe even above average.  He's a very good pass blocker though, that will certainly help his NFL stock.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:47 AM, beekay414 said:

Etienne and Swift will get drafted before him because of perceived athleticism but Jonathan Taylor is the best RB in this class. He has elite vision and top end speed at great size. Dead serious when I say I haven't seen a RB with his vision in my life. 

I kind of doubt Etienne or Swift will be drafted ahead of him I feel with how well he has looked this season.  Taylor will be the 1st drafted back and a potential top 10 pick, is easily the best Wisconsin back to ever play there in terms of overall talent and upside and makes Gordon look like of crappy and Gordon was great his last season at Wisconsin.  Is a great kid, high character, does not get hurt often, has good size and is improving in the pass game.  Only thing he cannot do is make one miss in the open field like Barry Sanders, so Swift has him beat there all day, and Etienne has better big play top end speed potentially but as a RB I still say Taylor should be the 1st one taken.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I kind of doubt Etienne or Swift will be drafted ahead of him I feel with how well he has looked this season.  Taylor will be the 1st drafted back and a potential top 10 pick, is easily the best Wisconsin back to ever play there in terms of overall talent and upside and makes Gordon look like of crappy and Gordon was great his last season at Wisconsin.  Is a great kid, high character, does not get hurt often, has good size and is improving in the pass game.  Only thing he cannot do is make one miss in the open field like Barry Sanders, so Swift has him beat there all day, and Etienne has better big play top end speed potentially but as a RB I still say Taylor should be the 1st one taken.

No one could ever surpass...The Dayne Train.

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A lot of what you are saying about Taylor they said about Melvin too. Melvin didn’t get hurt at all until he got to the NFL. I 100% believe 80% of a RBs success in the NFL is dictated by the situation they are drafted into and Melvin got drafted into a ****ty situation.

I know Etienne is fast but I’m not sure he is much faster than Taylor if at all. Taylor is expect to run a sub-4.4 40, I can’t imagine Etienne will run much faster. Did you see Taylor blow by that DB on his 72 yard TD run last Saturday?

Taylor’s mix of speed and power is unmatched in this years draft. Add in his pass catching ability and pass pro and I agree he will most likely be the first RB taken. Will he have the best career? If he gets drafted in the top 10 maybe not...

Edited by badgers0821

2 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

A lot of what you are saying about Taylor they said about Melvin too. Melvin didn’t get hurt at all until he got to the NFL. I 100% believe 80% of a RBs success in the NFL is dictated by the situation they are drafted into and Melvin got drafted into a ****ty situation.

I know Etienne is fast but I’m not sure he is much faster than Taylor if at all. Taylor is expect to run a sub-4.4 40, I can’t imagine Etienne will run much faster. Did you see Taylor blow by that DB on his 72 yard TD run last Saturday?

Taylor’s mix of speed and power is unmatched in this years draft. Add in his pass catching ability and pass pro and I agree he will most likely be the first RB taken. Will he have the best career? If he gets drafted in the top 10 maybe not...

Melvin did not have nearly the work Taylor had especially early in his career, the fact Taylor has been worked so much in terms of carries and not got majorly injured is impressive.  And my guess is Etienne beats Taylor terms of 40 time, I would guess Etienne might be in the 4.3 range but will see, maybe not.  He and Swift are quicker side to side and that is not even a question.  But the power speed mix of Taylor along with size makes him more interesting than those other two possibly.

The Lions, Redskins, Bucs, Panthers, 49ers and maybe even Titans and Texans could be in the market for a RB.  Maybe even the Bills or Seattle as well I feel so there are options.  Would one organization destroy his career, not sure about that but will see.  That happens more to a QB, sure can happen to a RB behind a bad OL I suppose but not as easily as a QB can fail in a bad situation in terms of bad OL especially.  Usually a great RB can make a bad OL look good from time to time.  Put him on the 49ers or Bills he could do just fine in those situations, same with Seattle because I am not sold on Carson as a #1 back honestly or Penny for that matter.    

There is the fact that Taylor is not and never will be Saquon Barkley type athletically.  So not sure he will ever be as great as Elliott or Barkley are in the NFL.  He is a good athlete but is nothing compared to Saquon, simply put he could never do this on the field in terms of this type of explosive change of direction in a small space.  Not to mention Barkley is bigger, has a better vertical and stronger as well.  But had some injuries in college and has them sadly in the NFL as well.    

ReliableSomberIaerismetalmark-size_restr

PossibleNimbleHarrierhawk-size_restricte

In terms of this RB class, for sure Taylor is the top and will probably end up as the 1st back drafted.  But one could arguably get more value in terms of production versus cost if you draft JK Dobbins or Najee Harris later who could end up being just as good as Taylor in the NFL potentially and would be cheaper being drafted lower than Taylor is.  Heck KeShawn Vaughn could be a 3rd round pick and end up being a great long time starter in the NFL with his leg strength, ability to break tackles and toughness, has done amazing things behind not a great Vandy OL. Will see how it all plays out. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Melvin did not have nearly the work Taylor had especially early in his career, the fact Taylor has been worked so much in terms of carries and not got majorly injured is impressive.  And my guess is Etienne beats Taylor terms of 40 time, I would guess Etienne might be in the 4.3 range but will see, maybe not.  He and Swift are quicker side to side and that is not even a question.  But the power speed mix of Taylor along with size makes him more interesting than those other two possibly.

The Lions, Redskins, Bucs, Panthers, 49ers and maybe even Titans and Texans could be in the market for a RB.  Maybe even the Bills or Seattle as well I feel so there are options.  Would one organization destroy his career, not sure about that but will see.  That happens more to a QB, sure can happen to a RB behind a bad OL I suppose but not as easily as a QB can fail in a bad situation in terms of bad OL especially.  Usually a great RB can make a bad OL look good from time to time.  Put him on the 49ers or Bills he could do just fine in those situations, same with Seattle because I am not sold on Carson as a #1 back honestly or Penny for that matter.    

There is the fact that Taylor is not and never will be Saquon Barkley type athletically.  So not sure he will ever be as great as Elliott or Barkley are in the NFL.  He is a good athlete but is nothing compared to Saquon, simply put he could never do this on the field in terms of this type of explosive change of direction in a small space.  Not to mention Barkley is bigger, has a better vertical and stronger as well.  But had some injuries in college and has them sadly in the NFL as well.    

ReliableSomberIaerismetalmark-size_restr

PossibleNimbleHarrierhawk-size_restricte

In terms of this RB class, for sure Taylor is the top and will probably end up as the 1st back drafted.  But one could arguably get more value in terms of production versus cost if you draft JK Dobbins or Najee Harris later who could end up being just as good as Taylor in the NFL potentially and would be cheaper being drafted lower than Taylor is.  Heck KeShawn Vaughn could be a 3rd round pick and end up being a great long time starter in the NFL with his leg strength, ability to break tackles and toughness, has done amazing things behind not a great Vandy OL. Will see how it all plays out. 

I’m not about to write a novel here so I’ll keep it short:

- Taylor has a lot of Elliott in him, big, physical and fast, neither of them are similar to Barkley but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

- Najee Harris is the most overrated/overhyped player in the country.

- Bad OL affect the running game just as much. See Todd Gurley, when they had a terrible OL everyone thought he was a bust and were ready to write him off, then they got a good OL and all of a sudden he was the best RB in the NFL.

7 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

I’m not about to write a novel here so I’ll keep it short:

- Taylor has a lot of Elliott in him, big, physical and fast, neither of them are similar to Barkley but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

- Najee Harris is the most overrated/overhyped player in the country.

- Bad OL affect the running game just as much. See Todd Gurley, when they had a terrible OL everyone thought he was a bust and were ready to write him off, then they got a good OL and all of a sudden he was the best RB in the NFL.

Zeke I feel is much better in pass pro and is clearly a better receiver especially in college but Taylor is improving on that.  And Zeke is far more physical and stronger than Taylor, broke way more tackles and was forced to run in traffic a lot more than Taylor has been I must say.  A lot of the time Taylor is not touched, not to mention Zeke's amazing performances in big time games against big time opponents, Taylor has yet to do many of those especially late in the year, will see if he can this season.  Najee has been a little disappointing this year but so has the Alabama OL, I would not be surprised if his pro career ends up being better than his college career in the right system but will see.  Even a guy like Kylin Hill could be drafted later but be extremely success in the NFL, so the RB position in general is hard to grade out and get the most value.

Cook and McCaffrey are the #1 and #2 leading rushers in the NFL and neither one has this amazing all world OL like Dallas or something.  Would be lucky if one Pro bowler comes off of either of those OL groups.  And Gurley teams are figuring out what they want to do on offense and putting 6+ defenders on the line of scrimmage, stopping the edges like New England.  And Gurley does not look like the same back, maybe he is still injured but clearly had those concerns coming into the league with injuries, and sadly might end his career early unless he can get back to what he was physically.  

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, badgers0821 said:

I’m really curious what everyone would think of Etienne if he played at Wisconsin. My guess is most people would drop him on their list because “all UW RBs fail in the NFL” and “are just products of the system and the OL”. 

2,500 yards would definitely be in play

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Taylor is better than Zeke was.

feel free to let us know you were just joking....

• Like 1