Scherff among top run blocking guards every year

turtle28

Run-block success percentage: 16.1

Scherff, Washington’s fifth overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, has improved his play in each of the past three seasons, leading to a career-high 83.2 overall grade in 2017. Scherff’s run-blocking, however, has been outstanding from the start.

Scherff recorded a career-high 17.2 run-block success percentage as a rookie in 2015 and maintained high marks in the following two seasons, as he scored a 15.3 and 16.1 in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Looking at just last season, the 6-5, 319-pounder mauled his opposition in the trenches to earn the fifth-ranked run-block grade among all qualifying guards (87.2).

Washington’s brass bought themselves time by exercising Scherff’s fifth-year option in his rookie contract, but seeing how much Dallas Cowboys guard Zack Martin got paid this offseason, it won’t be long before Scherff breaks the bank in a similar fashion.

Very eager to see this OL as a healthy 5 doing work. I get that the LG spot could be far less than even blah average, but if Roullier is furthering his progress, he, Trent, and Alex can do a good bit to lessen that weakness. Occasionally have been catching and recording some 2017 Skins' games on NFLN to check what I can out. :) 

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Good thing we have that in a pass heavy league

He’s a good pass protector too, he’s an all-around great OL. He doesn’t give up many pressures let alone sacks. Also, the “pass heavy league” is a myth that is swayed by a handful of teams who are pass first with good to great qbs. Most teams in the league are about balanced and a handful are run heavy.

Just look at the NFCE as an example:

* Cowboys - run heavy

* Eagles - balanced

* Giants - pass heavy (but sure to be balanced w/ addition of Barkley)

* Redskins - pass heavy w/ Cousins, yet to be determined w/ Smith, my guess with the addition of Guice we’ll be more balanced.

What is a myth is that this team could run the ball effectively with our so called top run blocker. Really isn't helpful to have Scherff if whoever is next to the LT is the reason the team  is one of the worst at rushing the ball.

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

What is a myth is that this team could run the ball effectively with our so called top run blocker. Really isn't helpful to have Scherff if whoever is next to the LT is the reason the team  is one of the worst at rushing the ball.

Interesting considering the teams best games running the ball the last 4 years we’re mostly going off the left side. The left side has been together for 4 years, they have good chemistry and double team together well. I’d say it’s more the poor blocking of the TEs that make our running game in effective rather than any of the OL and that shows up on the All-22. Now pass protection, I’ll agree with you our LG is below avg at that.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

The Chiefs... 5th best in run efficiency.. proved this untrue just last year.

They had the 48th graded LG, and 38th graded LT. Witzman at LG was horrendous at run and pass blocking. 

Middle of the pack grades on the rest of the OL. (16th and two 17th best ranks there)

The bottom line

The version of Witzmann we saw in 2017 isn’t a guy I’d call an average starter. He’s below average in my opinion.

So then, the questions are.. how bad is Lauvao when compared to Witzman? and if he's worse.. does that mean the Redskins' run game goes from 5th best to... 10th best? because I'll settle for this run game going from 28th to 10th. :) 

no idea why this extra quote box is here! :P 

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

The Chiefs... 5th best in run efficiency.. proved this untrue just last year.

They had the 48th graded LG, and 38th graded LT. Witzman at LG was horrendous at run and pass blocking. 

Middle of the pack grades on the rest of the OL. (16th and two 17th best ranks there)

So then, the questions are.. how bad is Lauvao when compared to Witzman? and if he's worse.. does that mean the Redskins' run game goes from 5th best to... 10th best? because I'll settle for this run game going from 28th to 10th. :) 

There’s no doubt in my mind that 3 of the 4 spots the Redskins OL is better than the Chiefs OL was last year. Now the original starting LG who got hurt in our game and missed time is better than Lauvao but Lauvao is better than his back up, Witzmann. 

Lauvao is by no means good but the TEs were by far the teams largest problem in blocking ever since the Redskins didn’t keep Logan’s Paulsen after the 2015 preseason. 

They haven’t had an established good blocking TE on their roster since then. Hopefully Jeremy Sprinkle becomes that guy but that’s yet to be determined.

Archived