• J.D. Martinez
    • Jose Ramirez
    • Corey Seager
    • Jean Segura
    • George Springer
    • Giancarlo Stanton
    • Joey Votto

4 hours ago, Starless said:

Why wouldn't he be? He's outplayed half the guys on it this year.

One month he played below his expectations and the next he played above. My bet is he's in between those expectations. If we include guys who get really hot might as well include Albies, Ozuna and Torres. All those players just not in the same class as the rest of the players in this poll. Benny has potential and if his hot streak stabilizes at this level then sure. That just doesnt have a history of happening for him. I say he ends up being Yeilch, whos not on this list.

10 hours ago, crab1106 said:

One month he played below his expectations and the next he played above. My bet is he's in between those expectations. If we include guys who get really hot might as well include Albies, Ozuna and Torres. All those players just not in the same class as the rest of the players in this poll. Benny has potential and if his hot streak stabilizes at this level then sure. That just doesnt have a history of happening for him. I say he ends up being Yeilch, whos not on this list.

He's only got one full year at the major league level and was a top-5 prospect in all of baseball prior to that. What he's doing right now is what was expected of him. I agree that he's probably not a top-15 player as of yet but he certainly warrants consideration, given his skill set and current production. And frankly, half this list is comprised of guys with no more than a year or two of high-level production behind them. 

8 minutes ago, Starless said:

And frankly, half this list is comprised of guys with no more than a year or two of high-level production behind them. 

Name half that list. I'll be kind and round down to 7.

The spoiler here is that Benintendi does not belong on this list ahead of Christian Yelich, Anthony Rizzo, Daniel Murphy, Buster Posey, Charlie Blackmon, Brian Dozier, Justin Turner, Kyle Seager...and probably at least a few other guys. Lorenzo Cain is arguable. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't mean literally half, but Segura, Corey Seager, Judge, Lindor and Ramirez have all been performing at this level no more than a year or two. 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The spoiler here is that Benintendi does not belong on this list ahead of Christian Yelich, Anthony Rizzo, Daniel Murphy, Buster Posey, Charlie Blackmon, Brian Dozier, Justin Turner, Kyle Seager...and probably at least a few other guys. Lorenzo Cain is arguable. 

This is my point. Benintendi was put on this with recency bias, similar to the arguments that Betts was better than Trout. Players get really hot sometimes. Hot streaks shouldn't raise their profile.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Benintendi shouldn't be on this list over guys like Blackmon and Rizzo. He should get All Star consideration for his production and the fact he's hit in multiple spots in the lineup, in addition to playing a capable center field when asked. Benintendi's an abysmal baserunner, and he's underwhelming 2017 both tell me that he needs to show more before he appears on lists like this.

A stat to chew on for those who haven't voted yet..

Qualifiers with .300 AVG, .900 OPS, 150 wRC+, with home runs (Last 3 calendar years)
J.D. Martinez, 114
Mike Trout, 108
Joey Votto, 86
Freddie Freeman, 83
Jose Altuve, 63

Archived